Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

So I want to get a 1/18th or 1/16th scale RC car...

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

So I want to get a 1/18th or 1/16th scale RC car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Prozak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I want to get a 1/18th or 1/16th scale RC car...

But which one to get? I'm heavily leaning towards getting a stadium truck so I believe my options are the vendetta st, mini inferno st, xray m18t and the lst. After reading the forum a bit I was set on getting the Vendetta and almost did today, but decided I should spend a little more time researching. So I was over at the 1/18th forum and people were complaining about the esc overheating and parts on the Vendetta breaking and now I'm rethinking whether I should get the Vendetta.

I live in socal and the idea of racing seems interesting to me but I don't know any people that do rc cars or where to even go to a track so I bet this car is mostly going to be used on concrete outside my house and at the park.

I definately want to keep it under 200 and would like to go without upgrading anything for as long as possible as funds are limited.

There are three hobbies stores that are pretty close to me so all but the xray cars are stocked.

*edit*

Also, forgot to say that I would prefer a kit so I can put it together, but it's not a priority.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Nasher

Default RE: So I want to get a 1/18th or 1/16th scale RC car...

from what I HEAR the VST is really good you just need a better battery and the x-ray is als pretty good and it's a put together kit
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Frozen72

I have a vendetta ST and I bash the he** out of it, I'm talking double front flips over my head. The only thing that I broke was the front axle and that was from landing on it from about 10 feet high. The stock ESC does fry quick but I just got a Tazer 15T, and a better battery is a must IMO.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
18mt_kid

check out the sticky "so you want a mini" that might help your decision
Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

VST is the best fully sealed no dirt gets into the drive train.
Kyosho st is a big heavy bomb
And all the rest have no gear covers so you can't even ride them in the dirt with out all sorts of crap getting jammed into the gears!!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
jaejw1

ORIGINAL: Prozak

I live in socal and the idea of racing seems interesting to me but I don't know any people that do rc cars or where to even go to a track so I bet this car is mostly going to be used on concrete outside my house and at the park.

where in socal do you live.. maybe we can meet somewhere and i can show you what the vendetta can do
Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Mini_Me

ORIGINAL: shenlonco
And all the rest have no gear covers so you can't even ride them in the dirt with out all sorts of crap getting jammed into the gears!!
Depends on the dirt, and at least the m18t has a optional hardened steel spur to keep from pebbles getting caught in it.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mini_Me

ORIGINAL: shenlonco
Depends on the dirt, and at least the m18t has a optional hardened steel spur to keep from pebbles getting caught in it.
Well if i have to search for the right type of dirt that a off road car has to drive in in order not to get debrese in it's gears...then to me it's not a true off road RC!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Prozak

ORIGINAL: jaejw1

where in socal do you live.. maybe we can meet somewhere and i can show you what the vendetta can do
That's a very nice gesture of you. I live in Cerritos, which is part of Los Angeles, how about you?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
jaejw1

not far,,,im in dana point but I work in downtown l.a.,,,, if you have free time on monday see if you can make to socal raceway in huntington beach,,,,, 405 south ,,, brookhurst south to garfield,,, adjacent to pepboys... or if touch dont let me know when you will and I can meet u
Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
jaejw1

i also have a few videos of my car in action at the track,, if your interested..
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Mini_Me

Jaejw1 is the man in SoCal racing. Though I would love for you to consider a m18t or m18mt, you might consider his ST simply because he can give you first hand tips and tricks.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Prozak

i also have a few videos of my car in action at the track,, if your interested..
I've seen a few videos on youtube and it looks like a very neat car, I think the next step is to see it "live".

not far,,,im in dana point but I work in downtown l.a.,,,, if you have free time on monday see if you can make to socal raceway in huntington beach,,,,, 405 south ,,, brookhurst south to garfield,,, adjacent to pepboys... or if touch dont let me know when you will and I can meet u
What time should I come down on monday? I think I can make it but it all depends on the time.

Jaejw1 is the man in SoCal racing. Though I would love for you to consider a m18t or m18mt, you might consider his ST simply because he can give you first hand tips and tricks.
Actually I am considering the xray m18t but the lack of local parts availability is a big minus for me. The vendetta st also seems like you get more for your money because the kit alone for the xray seems to run 130 whereas I'll have everything I need for only 35 dollars more and after that I can just upgrade as needed. But I'm still open to get the m18t if someone can convince me that this is the way to go.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Mini_Me

Well the m18t is a higher quality kit. While the electronics included in the detta are pretty much replaced right away as it is, so your spending an extra $35 for things you will want to upgrade or throw out asap. I would almost say to run where jae does, to get the m18mt so you can use the larger tires. Though you have a much larger tire choice with the m18t since it uses the same size (but not rim type) as the rc18t/MiniT.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM
jaejw1

does anyone have any race videos showing the m18t in action on DIRT

prozak,,,, there is also PEGASUS HOBBIES in montclair off the 10 freeway at central ,,, its the building with the truck driving out the wall
Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Prozak

mini_me I'll take into consideration, do you know of any shops that stock the m18t and its parts as well?

And jawjw1, I checked out pegasus hobbies, looks like a good store I'll have to visit it sometime.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Mini_Me

does anyone have any race videos showing the m18t in action on DIRT

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...46390885208971

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62556857460480

(bash day with larger nitros) http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86767681681452
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
jaejw1

mini_me I'll take into consideration, do you know of any shops that stock the m18t and its parts as well?

And jawjw1, I checked out pegasus hobbies, looks like a good store I'll have to visit it sometime.
well on some saturdays I go to pegasus d race my vendetta in the rookie class 10th scale ....

and socal raceway opens at 3pm on monday,,,, let me know if you can show up,,,,,
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Mini_Me

You might check out the dealer database to see whom is in your area.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/other/worlddeal.php
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Prozak

You might check out the dealer database to see whom is in your area.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/other/worlddeal.php
I checked it out before, but the problem with that page is that I think xray lists all the shops that have ever bought from them as dealers. I called the two nearest places and they told me they don't stock xray stuff, but they could special order it. Really I'm a beginner so I think I'm looking at spending about twice as much with the xray to get started as opposed to the duratrax version and combined that with the lack of availability, I'm not sure its worth it. With the duratrax too I think I won't lose as much money if I decide its not for me or that I really don't want to get too far into the hobby.