Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

New mini-t, wrecked?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 AM
NZ_Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New mini-t, wrecked?!

Hi guys,

Just made an expensive leap of faith into electrics, starting out with the trusy mini-t!

I watched Ebay for a long while, and finally decided to get one, this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3548&rd=1&rd=1

Anyways, I got the mini-t a couple days ago, but its not working properly? The steering works fine, but when I want to go forward/backward, the car buzzes, but doesnt move. If I give it a nudge itll get going and work fine, that is until I stop. Then I have to nudge it to get it to move again.. Weird.

I dont know much about ESC's, electric motors, or anything to do with electrics, but I am really looking forward to driving this car properly and hope you can help me to fix the problem! Any ideas would be very much appreciated

Please dont tell me that Iv bought a dud off ebay, thats the last thing I wanna hear... []
Old 07-12-2007, 07:49 AM
nitro _ burner

Default RE: New mini-t, wrecked?!

Looks like a good mini t.
I would say contact the seller and ask him. Check your trims on your transmitter though.
When it does go is it realy fast??? or a bit slugish?? If its a bit slugish you might just have a tight tranny and will need to loosten it and oil it.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
rustyandjennifer

It sounds like a faulty motor. Either the brush or something is hanging up & won't let the motor spool up on it's own. You nudging it helps it get going.

I can't tell by the pics if the brushes are sealed or not. If they are not, you can pull the brush out, try scraping the face with an Exacto & reinstall. If they are sealed, you will just have to replace the motor.

You could try spraying some electric motor (aka contact cleaner) into the motor too.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: rustyandjennifer

It sounds like a faulty motor. Either the brush or something is hanging up & won't let the motor spool up on it's own. You nudging it helps it get going.

I can't tell by the pics if the brushes are sealed or not. If they are not, you can pull the brush out, try scraping the face with an Exacto & reinstall. If they are sealed, you will just have to replace the motor.

You could try spraying some electric motor (aka contact cleaner) into the motor too.
This is his first electric
What he means is to see if the end of the motor can be pulled off, if so check these things that hang off the inside of the motor can (they're called brushes and they transfer the electricity to the centere shaft) called brushes scrape the surface that touches the shaft a bit with either a knife or a file (this will help the brushes connect to the shaft) then put it back together and try again, then report back[8D]
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Mr. Mugen

A better way to clean brishes is to use a pencil eraser. This will clean them without untruing the brush. Grooves and scratches are no good for conducting good power. Try this or simply get a new motor. These are tough little trucks and should hold up to a fair amount of bashing. You might want to get yourself some comm cleaner too.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
andrewtexas123

Cheak your brushes and if that fails to halp the car its goin to be the gearbox.. If this problem is not stated in the ebay discription of the mini t by all means get on to the seller. You should be able to get him to pay for any damag that was not stated. If he fails to help or buy you the parts you need give him bad feedback.

Andrew
Old 07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
mirage-twin

take the pinion gear off your motor and roll the truck by hand, if it is smooth and doesnt bind on you then your brushes need to be fixed/replaced and only do what mr. mugen said and use a pencil eraser to clean your brushes, no a files, picks or exacto knifes.

Just in case, heres a pic showing the brush in a motor like yours, just take the spring off and pull the brush out and make sure you put it back the same way.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 PM
NZ_Nitro

Wow you guys rock!!

Im just heading out to work, but will try all of the above when I get home, I have a can of contact cleaner somewhere too...

About the speed, im honestly not sure whether its as fast as it should be, or not.. I dont know what to expect from it! It does seem to take 5 or 6 meters to get up to top speed though, kinda weird?

Having said that, its definately quicker than a nikko, theyre all the electrics I owned as a kid...

Thanks again, Ill report back soon!!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
connor AA

slap a new motor in it if that dosent work try getin a new battery it could be bad.... hope that helps any
Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
andrewtexas123

ORIGINAL: connor AA

slap a new motor in it if that dosent work try getin a new battery it could be bad.... hope that helps any
No need for a new motor yet and it cant be the battery since it works after he gives it a push.

Andrew
Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 AM
NZ_Nitro

Well guys, tried a few of the above, and no luck. However I havent tried rubbing the brushes, only cos I havent got a phillips head small enough to undo the screws!! Will head out first thing in the morning and grab one..

Thanks again!! -Will let you know how I get on!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Gex_61

Take the motor out of the car. roll the car on the ground to see if anything could be binding besides the motor. It should be nice and smooth. Try the motor a couple of times by itself and see if it still needs a spin start.

Sounds like a brush problem to me.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: NZ_Nitro

Well guys, tried a few of the above, and no luck. However I havent tried rubbing the brushes, only cos I havent got a phillips head small enough to undo the screws!! Will head out first thing in the morning and grab one..

Thanks again!! -Will let you know how I get on!!
Cool, keep us informed.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
unseen1

My friend had a problem like this and i suggested all of the above and he said it didnt fix the problem in the end it was the spring holding the brush to the motor see if both of yours are there
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
mirage-twin

hold on a sec... you don't need a screw driver to check the brushes, just take the spring off and pull the brush out, simple two step process.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
NZ_Nitro

Well I did a bit more searching about the brushes (didnt know what they were!), took em out, rubber em up nice and clean with an eraser, put em back in. Then I wanted to take the motor off and see if the g/box was binding, when I took the gear cover off, I got covered in metal shavings!

The guy had the gear mesh set way too tight, so I loosened that a little and put the car back together enough to try it out..

And now its fine!!!

Not sure whether it was the tight mesh, or the brushes, but its all good now, im so damn happy!!

Im running the car on 6xAA's at the mo, till my charger arrives and I can use a battery pack.. I love it!

Thanks for all your input, wouldnt have done it without yas!! [8D]
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
jymellis
My Feedback: (7)

really nice truk!glad you got it workin!may i suggest you upgrade to deans connectors on your batteries,and esc!

jym
Old 07-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Outrageousmagic

You should get speed pretty close to the VR3 (about 20mph give or take a few miles), Just last week I raced my MQ against mini-t that had a Trinity 19turn (I think). We were pretty well matched, lol....though I did fanally beat him.. (though the VR3 brunt up in the prosess..lol)

So I assume you getting much better speeds??
Old 07-29-2007, 11:34 PM
NZ_Nitro

Triton Jr turned up today! Gonna have a shot at converting a computer power supply for 12v tonight, then Ill finally be able to use the right batteries..

How come I should convert to deans connectors? Are they better?

I honestly dont know how quick its going bud, but lots quicker than I expected! ....But not as quick as the nitro rusty lol... But can the rusty be used inside when its raining?! Nooope.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
jymellis
My Feedback: (7)

yes the deans are much better than stok battery connectors!they allow more current to pass with less resistance therefore helping speed and run time!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Wild YFZ 450

try reseting the space between the spur and pinion ( the mesh) if it is to tight it will be hard to go at first.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: flyingjato3.3

try reseting the space between the spur and pinion ( the mesh) if it is to tight it will be hard to go at first.
Uhhh duh!! if you read the previous posts you'll find that he did that