Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

HELP, my 18Mt makes a hideous gear crunch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, my 18Mt makes a hideous gear crunch

My RC18MT has been making a HORIBLE gear crunching/grinding noise when I give it some gas, it only does it in forwards and not in reverse, I also noticed that when I turn the back diff there seems to be a little binding, any suggestions????? I have had it for a while but not had anything like this, any explinations??? the sound is kindof like gear grind in a real car, thanks in advance for your help, calvino
Old 10-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Dokioto

Default RE: HELP, my 18Mt makes a hideous gear crunch

Check your rear diff.. Did you set the gear mesh properly with the spur and pinion?
I bet your diff is shot though.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:12 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Check your rear diff.. Did you set the gear mesh properly with the spur and pinion?
I bet your diff is shot though.
thanks for the great news, when i turn it, it spins freely and then makes this sound like a spring being wound, have only had the car since the firs of october, no BL... in it, just all stock, are the rear diffs prone to dying before the front ones do???? well, the good thingie is a diff rebuild kit is prety cheap, thanks, anyone got explinations???
Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 PM
rschoi_75

Dokioto is right on. Your diffs are probably toast. Have you ever broken down the rc18mt to clean it yet? If not, that's most likely the reason. All r/c's need maintenence. You should throughly clean and check your truck after every hard bashing session. Unfortunately there is no way to completely seal off the diffs, so keeping spares is a must. Running in dirt also reduces the life of your gears significantly, so just keep that in mind too.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: pvt_pile

Dokioto is right on. Your diffs are probably toast. Have you ever broken down the rc18mt to clean it yet? If not, that's most likely the reason. All r/c's need maintenence. You should throughly clean and check your truck after every hard bashing session. Unfortunately there is no way to completely seal off the diffs, so keeping spares is a must. Running in dirt also reduces the life of your gears significantly, so just keep that in mind too.
thanks, when i went bashing, the soil was hard as a rock, sadly on my little track, that is not the case, just currious, are the diffs sealed off with bearings??? thanks for the "awesome" info, prob going to stay stock, no need to upgrade to a "super diff", anyway, what does break in the diff, the gear what?????
Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
rschoi_75

The bearings help, but do not make a complete seal.

The most common broken parts of the diff are the input pinions and main ring gear. keep spares of those, or upgrade to the new GPM steel gears from thetoyz.com
Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: pvt_pile

The bearings help, but do not make a complete seal.

The most common broken parts of the diff are the input pinions and main ring gear. keep spares of those, or upgrade to the new GPM steel gears from www.thetoyz.com
ok, so I think I should pick up a few packs of them, should see how much the metal ones are, when I drive my car, I don't use reverse as brake, never have and never will prob, thanks alot, keep you posted as things go along, calvino