Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Helicopter Brushless motor for Half eight ??

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Helicopter Brushless motor for Half eight ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Biscuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter Brushless motor for Half eight ??

Hi all my mini Inferno has been sitting on the shelf too long, been given an out runner motor 3500 Kv rating dont know the make but it looks like it would fit ok. I run a mamba 6800 in a mini T on a lipo 3cell 2000mah, was going to use this but been told it will overheat ! so this helicopter motor might fit the bill ? could I run this on the Mamba 25amp esc ? I know its not the fastest motor out there but what you all think, not going to spend loads of money, would like to use what I got, thanks guys.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12372.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	788011  
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helicopter Brushless motor for Half eight ??

If you gear the Mamba motor right, you shouldn't have any heat issues. I have ran a Mamba 6800 and 8000 without any issues. I have also used an Align 430L brushless motor also. I'm not sure how an outrunner motor would do.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Biscuit

Well I have just ran the motor up and it seems to rev well, kind of more revs than punch, will take the esc and servo out of the minit and give it a go tomorrow, the standard pinion is 15 I am running an 11. The reason I said about the Mamba is that my friend ran one and it burnt the motor out but not sure the gearing on his car, If I do run the 6800 what should I gear it at? plus will the plastic centre drive shafts stand up to it as well as the gears, only running on the flat.
Thanks
Steve.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Biscuit

Well I have just ran the motor up and it seems to rev well, kind of more revs than punch, will take the esc and servo out of the minit and give it a go tomorrow, the standard pinion is 15 I am running an 11. The reason I said about the Mamba is that my friend ran one and it burnt the motor out but not sure the gearing on his car, If I do run the 6800 what should I gear it at? plus will the plastic centre drive shafts stand up to it as well as the gears, only running on the flat.
Thanks
Steve.
the reason why your buddy blew up his motor is he probabaly had the poor thing geared to high, thus it strained the motor, and then, poof, bybye motor, as long as the motor stays UNDER the max amp draw of the motor, you should be cool[8D]
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM
rschoi_75

Here's the link to that motor (top of the page):
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-sfm.htm

you can gear up a lot more. It will really shine on 8-cells or 3s lipo. pinions may be tough to find, and yes, your drivetrain needs upgrading.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Biscuit

Ok Guys, Mini inferno very fast, gone from a 7t pinion to a 20t pinion, cells get a bit warm but motor and esc staying very cool. Just got a small problem with the set up, when I brake the motor slows down perfect but then when the power is put back on it kind of stops then goes again, tried all 3 program brake set ups but it still the same. The motor will not start up forward again till it has stopped rotating,it kind of locks up then when the throttle is opend after you have braked, anyone got any Ideas been running without the brake and just chucking it into the turns works fine but would like to get it sorted. Back to the Mamba motor what would be the gearing for the 6800 motor in the Mini Inferno.
Thanks
Steve
Ps would like to run 2 smaller packs of 11.1v lipo cells and wire them together so can use the same fixing method as the originals, anyone seen this done, any links ?
Thanks again.

Name:	Lj21810.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	790918  
Old 10-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Biscuit

Think I have found the problem with the brakes, tried another esc and it works fine, hope its not the motor thats killing it, saying that the old esc had been in my miniT for about a year and as you dont really use brakes that much on that I might of not noticed. Still looking for someone to tell me the gearing for the Mamba 6800 motor as I would like to try this set up, plus need to get some cells that fit better, seen a lot of 2 cell packs but not a 3cell ! maybe make a custom pack up, so can anyone can help me out here ?
Thanks.
Biscuit

Name:	Bz77775.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	791971  
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Biscuit

Ok I have been going it alone, bought a 3cell lipo, Dualsky 1800mah 25c had to make a few mods to fit the cells but nothing much and it fits perfect, this keeps the C/G a bit lower should give me better handling and 25c give me a bit more power. It went well with my other cells and they were 4 years old. Now I can get a few packs as they go in and out very easy, just remove the clip lift the flap and out come the cells, just need to tidy up the wiring now.
Biscuit

Name:	Qo41282.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	794952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24932.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	794953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17831.jpg