Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Upcoming MLST2 (What Upgrades?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Nerf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming MLST2 (What Upgrades?)

My brother Takedown said that if I get a mini I should get the MLST2. I've pretty much made up my mind on getting one but I am going to convert it to brushless immediately. I dont know what ESC/Motor to get that will be a perfect match for it. I also plan to run lipo eventually. I heard the Wraith 7k motor is a nice motor and will work flawlessly in the MLST2. I also dont know if i should go for the Quark 33 ESC or the Mamba 25 ESC? I have no spending limit.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
walkingcarpet900

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Upcoming MLST2 (What Upgrades?)

mamba with caslte link
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
rschoi_75

If you have no limit, I would highly suggest looking into a crt.5 conversion. For a 1/18th scale, I'd say M18MT over the MLST2 anyday. I hope you haven't bought the truck yet.

If you did buy the mlst2 already, drivetrain upgrades should be your first priority. Get rid of the center gear diff and for a ball diff. I'm not sure how good the steel diffs are since I never used them. I hear that the steel is good, but the plastic spider gears inside the diff still break often. The viscous diffs were the last option I tried before selling my mlst. They were a significant upgrade from anything available at that point, but were still sub-par by my standards.

Next should be your servo's. The stock servos are very weak, and don't like to hold their center. Upgrade to the JR micro servos for better performance. Or think about getting the single servo exotek chassis for the mlst.

In the end, I can't justify dropping that much money into a mini and have it break on me every 2-3 runs. I've spent half as much on my Xray mini's and still haven't broken a single part.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 PM
nitro _ burner

I have the MLST2 and while its good, i would still recommend the M18MT by xay as well!
Yes the motor you mentioned will suit the car perfectly, and go with the Quark ESC!
If you realy have no spending limit, you can always get two ESC's and motors to run a dual BL setup!
I would highly suggest running Li-Po, but if you do mabye you should look into getting a good, big heatsink mabye one with a fan attached. Also, do you have a Li-Po compatible charger?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I would recommend playing around with the truck on the frezny's first before you upgrade to brushless.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: divine_13

I would recommend playing around with the truck on the frezny's first before you upgrade to brushless.
Thats just a waste of money IMO... think about it, why buy two brushed motors when you WANT to go all out with BL. What would be eaiser would be to go easy (slow setting) in to beginning!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 AM
rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner
Thats just a waste of money IMO... think about it, why buy two brushed motors when you WANT to go all out with BL. What would be eaiser would be to go easy (slow setting) in to beginning!
Those are the stock motors for the truck. No additional costs for those.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I did some research and he decided that he's just going to get a RTR brushless mini. He likes the new Trinity Now 1/18. Im pretty sure he's set on that.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner
If you realy have no spending limit, you can always get two ESC's and motors to run a dual BL setup!
I would highly suggest running Li-Po, but if you do mabye you should look into getting a good, big heatsink mabye one with a fan attached. Also, do you have a Li-Po compatible charger?
A dual Brushless system has been tested. It isn't a good idea. One motor will burn out because they will turn at different speeds. Besides the performance of two instead of one isn't very different.

If the "NOW" is anything like the Trinity NEXT he shouldn't be disappointed.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Nerf
My Feedback: (1)

Ya im very interested in the Trinity Now. It has everything that Im looking to upgrade after I get a mini. Ive also heard that the Next and the now are very comparable.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

your going to want to upgrade the motor in the NOW, the cobalt b sucks just pick up a mamba 6800 or somthing.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Ive heard the Cobalt is a very nice motor. If it doesnt end up being total crap I'll tell Him the Wraith 7k will probably be his best bet since its a 1/16 and its a little on the heavy side.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Dokioto

I really don't think it will be to heavy. The NEXT was a little heavier then my MLST (just comparing by lifting the two), but it had a heavy nitro motor in it. The diffs are a little weak in the NEXT (I bet they will have the same in the NOW) so I don't think you will want the Wraith. They do make metal gears for the NEXT so they will probably fit in the "NOW". Just a little food for thought.

Has anybody found any pics of this car with the body off?