Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Foam tire maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Maxime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam tire maintenance

I run a RC18T FT with Losi Mini-T foam tires installed. It was a great combination however now the tires are so slippery it's impossible to run.

Traction compound isn't allowed at our indoor carpet track, but is there any way to clean/rehydrate the tires to make them stick again??? I heard things like Simple Green, WD-40, brake cleaner... But unsure what I should do.

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
jmcvicker

Default RE: Foam tire maintenance

The guys at the track I just started racing at are using Goop hand cleaner (in the tub thing). Seems interesting. I'm not experienced enough to know if it will help but I did my tires last weekend and didn't traction roll as much and could control the cars a bit better. They call it "cleaning the tires" since they don't use compound there. They have an M18 mod class there and they go so fast it seems like they're in a controlled slide the whole time. Pretty cool to watch.

http://www.goophandcleaner.com/
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Gex_61

Default RE: Foam tire maintenance

I think hand soap or all purpose cleaners count as traction compounds? Are you sure they will allow it? Most people at our dirt oval use things like these. I like using simple green. You can also try taking a little sandpaper to it or cutting grooves in the tires with a dremel. Check with your track and see if they have a tire lathe. That would work best.

If you use simple green, completely soak the tires in it and continue to soak them right up until the start of the first race. Then take a towel and get as much of it off as you can.

You should experiment on your own to see what works. Keep in mind, as your tires spin, the simple green will be pulled to the surface of the tire. This works well for dirt oval because the dirt doesn't stick to the tire as much; it stays clean.