Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Need gearing recommendations for Mamba-fied RC18B

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Need gearing recommendations for Mamba-fied RC18B

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need gearing recommendations for Mamba-fied RC18B

So I'm converting one of my Associated RC18Ts to a buggy, and since I had to take the top plate off I had a chance to inspect the diffs and gears. The outdrives are a bit chewed up as well as the input and diff gears. I figure now is a good time to replace them. So I have a few questions for you guys:

Is the MIP super differential a good piece?

How about the Delrin geared differential from GPM? Better/Worse than the MIP diff?

Are the MIP CVDs the best CVDs offered for the RC18? Are the worth the expense over the aluminum dog bones I currently have?

Finally, what gearing should I go with? 55t or 60t spur? Which pinion? For reference my car has the Mamba 6800kV setup and is powered by 7.4v 2200mAh Li battery.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 AM
calvino

Default RE: Need gearing recommendations for Mamba-fied RC18B

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

So I'm converting one of my Associated RC18Ts to a buggy, and since I had to take the top plate off I had a chance to inspect the diffs and gears. The outdrives are a bit chewed up as well as the input and diff gears. I figure now is a good time to replace them. So I have a few questions for you guys:

Is the MIP super differential a good piece?

How about the Delrin geared differential from GPM? Better/Worse than the MIP diff?

Are the MIP CVDs the best CVDs offered for the RC18? Are the worth the expense over the aluminum dog bones I currently have?

Finally, what gearing should I go with? 55t or 60t spur? Which pinion? For reference my car has the Mamba 6800kV setup and is powered by 7.4v 2200mAh Li battery.

Thanks!
#1, the super diff, only heard great stuff abou it, asked a while ago and everyone said it was awesome, another testament to MIP and the good stuff they make[8D]. As for the GPM one, forget it, I use their metal diff gears no prob, but as for a plastic diff gear setup, IDK, sounds like easily striped gears to me[]
#2, cvd's, go with them, super tough... won't bend under the force of the brushless setup
#3, if you want blazin fast acceleration go 10,60. for speed, 15, 55, as for a good setup, hard to say, get a bunch of pinions, and a temp gun and do some "gearing tuning", should help, I run my RC18MT (converted to a T), at 15, 55 and get good acceleration and speeds (running a stock motor [X(]0, hope that helps, if you say what you are after with the gearing, speed, aceleration... then i can help more[8D]
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 AM
TWERPA
My Feedback: (19)

What set-up I been using is the 55t w/ the 10t pinion {I got the 8000 }which gave me stupid speed basically to drag race;I had to use the mamba usb to alter the speed set-up.I use a lipo 3c 2200 pack.The MIP super diff helped me not to tare the diff's up after i adjusted the throttle I'm having a ball and never had to change it since.Never tried the delrin gears but I hear their also as good if not better.IMO.Hope it helps you out.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Gex_61

Try 55/12 or 55/13

Don't use a 60 tooth spur unless you have large tires (rc18mt)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Does the MIP super diff come with the gears and balls and any other internal part?

Right on, thanks for the help, guys.

To answer calvino's question, I won't be racing this buggy, just driving around the house and in campgrounds and such. So just a general purpose gear ratio is what I'm after. One not great at anything, but good at everything.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
ludeman

Yeah get the MIP supper DIFF. Also IMO you need [link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=9388&cat_name=RC18T]these steel input and ring gears[/link]
and while your at it get the [link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=9034&cat_name=]56T titanium Spur gear[/link]
These upgrades just made my RC18 my favorite car again just because it's bullet proof now.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 PM
jjohn123321

what pinion should i use for mt mamba motor