Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

lipo Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 AM
papa_smurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo Battery problems

I have a thunder power 3 cell 2000 mah batt. and used it till it was super dead bucause I thought I set the voltage cut off for 3 cell but I set it for 2 cell.
and now it will not recharge. What is wrong?[sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 AM
NitroBobby

Default RE: lipo Battery problems

what do you think is wrong?
you answered the question in your post "...used it till it was super dead..."
you over discharged the LiPo which, aside from charging it way too fast, is the worst thing you can do to a LiPo.
it's probably toast. try using the search feature on this site. i've read about people reviving dead LiPos by applying a trickle charge to the cell for a little while. I DON'T ADVISE TRYING THIS. YOUR BATTERY COULD BLOW UP IN A HUGE BALL OF FIRE.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: papa_smurf

I have a thunder power 3 cell 2000 mah batt. and used it till it was super dead bucause I thought I set the voltage cut off for 3 cell but I set it for 2 cell.
and now it will not recharge. What is wrong?[sm=what_smile.gif]
First off, don't panic. It's likely that the cells are pretty badly damaged, but you may be able to get some usefulness out of them. There are some chargers that have over-discharge revive programs built in (my cell pro lipo chargers do) and there are some chargers that will let you set the # of cells so you can attempt to revive them with a low current charge.

You should ALWAYS charge your lipos in a fire-safe location. It's unlikely they'll "vent with flame", but always a possibility, especially with damaged cells. Don't be afraid of your lipos, just be knowledgeable and safe. Almost every lipo user has under-volted a pack at some time or another - it's part of the learning process.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
papa_smurf

ORIGINAL: NitroBobby

what do you think is wrong?
you answered the question in your post "...used it till it was super dead..."
you over discharged the LiPo which, aside from charging it way too fast, is the worst thing you can do to a LiPo.
it's probably toast. try using the search feature on this site. i've read about people reviving dead LiPos by applying a trickle charge to the cell for a little while. I DON'T ADVISE TRYING THIS. YOUR BATTERY COULD BLOW UP IN A HUGE BALL OF FIRE.
Yes I know what happend to the battery but I wanted to know what happen to thr battery when I discharged it to much.

And where can I get this charger thing that can fix this.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM
pbmax

The cells have likely suffered permanent damage - you probably won't be able to "fix" them with anything, though you may be able to get them working at reduced capacity. My charger is a Cell Pro - available at www.fmadirect.com. It charges via tap connectors, so you'll have to get an adapter to match your tap type.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Mini_Me

I use the Thunder Power 610C, it also has such a function. Handy last night trying to revive some friends packs at racing. Still only managed to save one out of three as one pack, the voltage balance between the cells was too far out of balance to recover on one, while the other was inconsistent.

Im not a big fan of FMA, mostly because they only sell direct and thus in the long term ruin the hobby with not allowing hobby shops to carry their products.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
shoes53

i have a nexstar ep mini plane came with the lipo battery and electrifly 3 cell 11.1v balancer charger the battery is a supre tigre 1250mah 11.1v 15c14wh this has been a nightmere tower hobbies has sent me 3 batts and 3chrg my first flight was on a fully charge batt for 2mins took it back to the car to recharge and the chgr did not reconize the battery green -red flashing error tomake this short i was sent 3 new batt from tower hob and chrgs same problem . the local hobbie shop read the batt and told me i have dead cell . i do not have a good chrger cant afford now . can someone help me , am i doing something wrong here? are these junk batterys. i am a beginner to the hobbie and like to join the ama but off to a bad start. i have a gas flyer in reserve but like to learn first on the nexstar electric. thanks russell