Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Can you charge GreatPlanes Lipo's through the ESC connection?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Can you charge GreatPlanes Lipo's through the ESC connection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
BrookF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you charge GreatPlanes Lipo's through the ESC connection?

I have a 2-cell thunderpower Lipo and the guy who sold it to me said it was fine to charge through the Deans connectors (bigger wires). I also have a 3-cell Great Planes Lipo that has the Deans connectors for the ESC but also a smaller connector with smaller wires labeled for the charger...Can I charge the Great Planes one through the Deans plugs also??

Thx...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
pinoyboy

Default RE: Can you charge GreatPlanes Lipo's through the ESC connection?

yes you can just charge through the deans connector. However, the smaller connector is to balance the cells to make sure they are all at the same voltage. Balancing is recommended if you want the best performance
Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: pinoyboy

yes you can just charge through the deans connector. However, the smaller connector is to balance the cells to make sure they are all at the same voltage. Balancing is recommended if you want the best performance
and maximum safety to, if a lipo gets overcharged you get an expensive/dangerous "fireworks show"
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
cjg

You can charge through the deans but a few comments to clarify:

1) Are you using a lipo compatible charger. If not, don't attempt this. Fire most likely will result
2) charging through the dean's with a lipo compatible charger will not balance the cells. This is important for performance and life of the cell. I bought an equinox balancer that attaches between my DTX ICE and the lipo (connecting to the balancing connector on the lipo). It balances while charging. Without it I connect the ICE to the dean's to charge.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 AM
BrookF

ORIGINAL: cjg

You can charge through the deans but a few comments to clarify:

1) Are you using a lipo compatible charger. If not, don't attempt this. Fire most likely will result
2) charging through the dean's with a lipo compatible charger will not balance the cells. This is important for performance and life of the cell. I bought an equinox balancer that attaches between my DTX ICE and the lipo (connecting to the balancing connector on the lipo). It balances while charging. Without it I connect the ICE to the dean's to charge.
1) Yes
2) I bought a balancer but it doesn't have the deans connectors yet...As soon as I get it working I will use it as much as possible...It's good to know I can charge the GreatPlanes lipos through the deans if I need to.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
The Hedgehog

You don't put dean's connectors on balancers, you just use the tabs.