Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL Detta ST THREAD **********

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
jeppe317

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Detta ST THREAD **********

the *****'n shaft on this new ammo i picked up is too long. all i need is a dremel to get it running, my wife thinks she gets to drive it lol, she gets the m-revo w/ nimh.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
jaejw1

i left my motor timing at 0*,,, as for the ball diffs.. i tighten them to the point that they are smooth but the gear wont move when both outdrives are secured in place.. using a screw driver...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 PM
aznmode

Damn it. So the inevitable happened. I fried my Quark =(. I tried putting in a 24t just to see how it would go. Did several runs on the street and it was fine but it did get a little hot. Too much power as it did wheelies on command. So the next day I tried again but this time it wheelied and started going sideways. Checked it and it seemed fine then I tried running it again and about 20 feet it stopped and saw smoke. I should've made sure it was fine. Turns out the cause was the diff werent turning right. Yes i know..very careless of me. Now it's done for. So now I need to find a new partner for my widowed Permax 4d. I got a VXL 3m on ebay for cheap but have not recieved it yet. I think after doing some further reading, I should go with the Sidewinder 1/10 scale but has anyone tried using the VXL on the Permax yet? I'm afraid of damaging it. Jae..any input?

Edit: I didnt realize this was the ST thread. I have an ST but I'm talking about my buggy.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Metallover

The 1/10vxl will work fine. It just won't have as many programming features. The 18th scale vxl will probably be similar to your quark, maybe a little better.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
aznmode

Thanks...I actually bid on the VXL 3m from the 1/16 mini e-revo.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM
hyperscorpic

Should be fine. The mini revo esc is spec up to 50+amps I think.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
brianjskora
My Feedback: (3)

Just finished my vendetta with VXL setup. Was quick and easy.

The rubber band in the picture is just to hold that battery in place because I did not have my lipo's in that fit this at the time of the pics. This thing moves. 23T that came with the motor is extremely fast. This thing handles great too. I love it. On just a single 2s lipo it is faster than my revo vxl on series.

I know this isnt the fastest motor, but I am very pleased, I got the motor and esc for 59.99.

Just an FYI, I ordered all the steel diffs, and threaded driveshafts, but I am waiting for the stock stuff to break before installing it. So far stock has held up great.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43727.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1372034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78645.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1372035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37892.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1372036  
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 AM
aznmode

ORIGINAL: brianjskora

Just finished my vendetta with VXL setup. Was quick and easy.

The rubber band in the picture is just to hold that battery in place because I did not have my lipo's in that fit this at the time of the pics. This thing moves. 23T that came with the motor is extremely fast. This thing handles great too. I love it. On just a single 2s lipo it is faster than my revo vxl on series.

I know this isnt the fastest motor, but I am very pleased, I got the motor and esc for 59.99.

Just an FYI, I ordered all the steel diffs, and threaded driveshafts, but I am waiting for the stock stuff to break before installing it. So far stock has held up great.

Wow faster than vxl in series. So youre going faster than 50mph? Ive installed my vlx esc with my permax motor with 3s 30c battery but I havent tested it since its still raining. Running it while holding the car..it seems way slower than when i had the quark on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
brianjskora

Well I dont have a radar gun, but it definately seems faster to me. I will put them side by side this weekend when I can have someone else drive too

It seems to just really take off with no lag due to its size, and so that makes it appear faster. I will keep you posted

Im not familiar with the motor you had been using. Also, what pinion are you using?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
dubluv

THe Multiplex Permax 4D/400 was the king before the neu rolled in for the detta ST....i'm still running mine , but with a 35A EZ-run esc now.....thinking about trying the permax on the MERV though...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
aznmode

Well I dont have a radar gun, but it definately seems faster to me. I will put them side by side this weekend when I can have someone else drive too

It seems to just really take off with no lag due to its size, and so that makes it appear faster. I will keep you posted

Im not familiar with the motor you had been using. Also, what pinion are you using?

I'm gearing 19/41. I did notice when I was trying to run it in my hand that it seems to alternate speed when I full throttle. Instead of linear it will reach the highest point then drop down a little bit then go up again and it does this every second in full throttle. Also after I turn off the remote and the esc is still on the steering will turn and about 3 seconds later the motor will spin a good second. I'm wondering if I got a dud.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 PM
brianjskora

When I hold mine off the ground and rev it, it will rev up and then sounds like its hitting a rev limiter just like on a dirtbike or car etc. Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
aznmode

When I hold mine off the ground and rev it, it will rev up and then sounds like its hitting a rev limiter just like on a dirtbike or car etc. Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about
Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about! Is that normal for this esc? I made sure its set for mode 1 and for lipo (green led). I was looking forward to this esc too. But I think if this is how it is...I'll have to return it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
brianjskora

Yea mine does the same thing but it doesnt ever do it while on the ground running, it just hits top speed. It onlyhappens withno resistance. I think its a great esc... I run 4s on it sometimes even on the revo without any issues as cold as its been out.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
aznmode

Here's a video. Let me know if its exactly the same as yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UDqGPFljFE
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
brianjskora

yes, just like that.

Tried my revo out in the same manner, and it does NOT do it. Weird. I wonder if that mass of the wheels just doesnt let it rev up as much?

Im not sure what exactly is happening, but my vendetta did not do that while running... or maybe I just didnt ever get to full speed. Either way its a little bullet

Cant do much with the weather now though, so it will be a little while
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Metallover

I wonder if there may be some type of rpm limit built into the esc? If you rev a motor up with no load then it could greneade, so maybe this is traxxas's way of stopping people from blowing up their motors by revving them. Maybe the esc sees the motor rev up to fast and sets a limit? Maybe it's a 4-pole motor only type of thing? Someone could email/call traxxas if they really wanted to know.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
aznmode

I was able to run it today at work in our parking lot and it does the same thing after it hits a certain speed. So I just called Traxxas support and they said this isn't normal. But he isn't sure if it's the esc or motor. Ofcourse I didn't tell him I put it in a detta. My friend is willing to try it on his Mini-t with a c4 motor. So I will find out soon if its esc. I bought this at $50 on ebay and thought it was a good deal. I'd hate to have to return it. At the same time, I'd hate to find out that my Permax is shot too.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
aznmode

ORIGINAL: Metallover

I wonder if there may be some type of rpm limit built into the esc? If you rev a motor up with no load then it could greneade, so maybe this is traxxas's way of stopping people from blowing up their motors by revving them. Maybe the esc sees the motor rev up to fast and sets a limit? Maybe it's a 4-pole motor only type of thing? Someone could email/call traxxas if they really wanted to know.

That's a good question. I'm gonna check the manual again but from what I know there are only a few settings: lipo with voltage cut off, NIMH, mode 1 (100% forward and reverse), mode 2 (forward, no reverse), mode 3 (50% forward and reverse).
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 PM
aznmode

I've gone through the manual again and everything is set correctly. One thing it did say though when testing throttle, if I go full throttle the Green LED will turn off till I reaches full throttle then it will turn red. Mine never turns red.

"Apply forward throttle. The LED will turn off until full throttle power is reached. At full throttle, the led will shine RED."
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM
brianjskora

Hm now im interested. Im sure you have, but just have to ask, did you reprogram your radio to the esc?

Now im curious since mine does the same thing.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
aznmode

Hm now im interested. Im sure you have, but just have to ask, did you reprogram your radio to the esc?

Now im curious since mine does the same thing.

I followed the VXL 3M Setup Programming on the manual.
http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/3...VXL3m_INST.pdf

I also tried reprogramming the Transmitter in the Transmitter Setup section of the manual. End result when I full throttle it turns solid green (I think this is normal for lipo mode) but its still doing the same thing with the motor.

Am I missing anything else?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM
aznmode

Does having deans vs the Traxxas connector make a difference? In the manual it states using other type of connector will restrict current flow.

"Your VXL-3m is equipped with the Traxxas High-Current Connector. Standard connectors restrict current flow and are not capable of delivering the power needed to maximize the output of the VXL-3m. The Traxxas connector’s gold-plated terminals with a large contact surfaces ensure positive current flow with the least amount of resistance. Secure, long-lasting, and easy to grip, the Traxxas connector is engineered to extract all the power your battery has to give."
Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Metallover

Deans connectors aren't any worse then traxxas; they're probably better. Andersons are probably the best. I personally use 4mm bullets..

The connectors would have to be REALLY crapply like a servo plug to cause problems under little- no load, unless it is a bad solder joint... It's probably only pulling like 5a if it's not on the ground.

Anyways I'm curious to see what the problem ends up being. It sounds like a radio issue not giving the esc full throttle. Adjust your endpoints on the raio maybe if you can? Are you both running stock radios? If you are, play with the throttle trim.

I don't know how the esc runs with 4-pole motors, or if the stock e-revo motor is 4 pole. That still wouldn't explain this problem with the traxxas motor "redlining".

I'd put half my money on a bad solder joint and half my money on the radio. I really don't know what it could be though. It's not like the truck has anything to do with it. Try swapping in the e-revo radio; that would fix the problem or at least narrow it down.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 PM
hyperscorpic

Actually, the traxxas esc has a sort of rev limiter built in. It cuts power when the rpm reaches a threshold, but I don't know what that threshold.
I ran my mini revo wif a medusa motor. The medusa motor is more efficient and reaches that rmp faster, and the result is a pulsating throttle feel. The reason why you don't feel it with load is the motor prolly cannot reach that rpm with load. But without load, the motor can rev higher, thereby reaching the threshold rpm.

The traxxas esc is a letdown in that area, as it limites the types of motor you can run. I think its more of the switch rate of the esc itself limiting the power delivery to the motor. The 'threshold rpm' is worse (i.e. lower rpm) if you have a 4 or even 8 pole motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.