Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Deans on a mini t

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
flat6
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deans on a mini t

Yet another noob question from me. I hear a lot of hype about the deans plugs/connectors. Are they worth it as opposed to the stock connectors on a mini t. Will there be any noticeable difference? Also, where is a good place to get them from, I have seen a set of 12 on ebay for 5 bucks yet on a hobby site they are 5 dollars for one pair. Is there any difference and also is there a size I need to look for? Thanks a lot
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM
ajb1205

Default RE: Deans on a mini t

I put the micro deans on my sons mini-t since I had a few just sitting around. The stock connectors will fall apart and short out in no time (atleast the ones in my 18T did). I put the new traxxas connectors on my 18t just because they are so much easier to unplug and then I didn't have to make another charging adapter. I would consider what you may be purchasing in the future...if you are thinking about maybe a Traxxas electric consider putting on the traxxas plugs...you can't go wrong with the ultra deans, either.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
rmoetken

Yeah the deans are wayyyy worth it! My mini t plugs actually started melting together, and with the deans there is less resistance so more power gets to the motor. And when I got mine the guy at my lhs said the deans give the car more of a low end punch. Imo deff worth getting
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
The Mad Modder

You'd want the ultra deans plugs, the micro ones work well for a micro-t, but not a mini.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
rschoi_75

Adding to the conversation.... the "Deans" that you see on ebay are usually generic chinese plugs that are not as good as genuine deans. But for a mini-t... it won't really matter since you aren't pulling that many amps. You'll still see a big improvement vs the hpi micro plugs.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
flat6

thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM
flat6

Where is the best place to get these (the non chinese ones) lol. Does it matter which plug goes to what for example a female to the esc and male to the battery...and charger etc..

Thanks again
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 PM
rschoi_75

For genuine deans... its easiest to drop by your local hobby shop or get them from your favorite online dealer (i.e. Tower, Stormer, Amain, Hobby people, Horizon, etc....)

If you must have genuine deans, DO NOT buy them on ebay since 98% of the auctions are knock off products... and most of the time the seller will claim they are real (which they aren't). But... in all fairness... I use the knock off deans on almost all of my 1/10th & 1/18th cars/trucks and they hold up great. They are also compatible with real deans, but the plastic used is obviously worse in quality.

As for placement.... although it doesn't really matter, its best to put the Male side on the esc and the female side on the battery. That's the general standard, and it will make life much easier if you follow this.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM
flat6

ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

For genuine deans... its easiest to drop by your local hobby shop or get them from your favorite online dealer (i.e. Tower, Stormer, Amain, Hobby people, Horizon, etc....)

If you must have genuine deans, DO NOT buy them on ebay since 98% of the auctions are knock off products... and most of the time the seller will claim they are real (which they aren't). But... in all fairness... I use the knock off deans on almost all of my 1/10th & 1/18th cars/trucks and they hold up great. They are also compatible with real deans, but the plastic used is obviously worse in quality.

As for placement.... although it doesn't really matter, its best to put the Male side on the esc and the female side on the battery. That's the general standard, and it will make life much easier if you follow this.
Thanks for the info. Are these genuine deans? http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html
Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 AM
flat6

Another quick question guys. I got a few sets of deans from a local hobby shop yesterday. I installed them on the charger, battery, and esc.

I was wondering if a set should be installed from the motor to esc connection? Are the stock mini t motor to esc connectors ok, or will I notice any difference with deans.

Thanks again
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM
ajb1205

If you've installed Deans on the charger, battery, etc, definitely do the esc leads, too (kind of defeating the purpose if you don't). One connector for everything is so much nicer. Not that you'll notice a difference, it's just for convenience and longevity.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
rmoetken

So there is a noticable difference when putting a deans on the esc/motor lead?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 AM
ajb1205

ORIGINAL: rmoetken

So there is a noticable difference when putting a deans on the esc/motor lead?
I don't think you'll notice much difference if any at all. It's just so you have one, trusted connector for everything. The stock connectors on the minis don't usually last very long. The stock plugs on my 18T here toast in no time. Then if you decide to go brushless (and probably lipo then, too) you will have connectors that can handle it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
rmoetken

Well I got the deans ultra on my battery/esc already cause I run lipo batteries. And I don't have a motor that can burn up the motor leads yet...my little stock rx280 is pretty quick as is for only using a lipo, I was just tryin to get as much power out of it as possble so it'l smoke lol givin me a reason to buy an upgraded motor
Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
rschoi_75

If you don't change out your motor too much, I think its best just to hardwire the esc/motor wires. Its just as easy as installing deans, and you don't need any connector. But.... you want to at least install something better than the stock connectors as those tend to have high resistance.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
flat6

Thanks for the info guys. Just picked up another set of deans for the motor to esc. Another question. What is the standard for the female/male plug placement from motor to esc? Does the motor get the male or female connector?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
rschoi_75

Well, for the motor to esc... you should do Female on the esc and Male on the motor. You want the connectors reversed from the battery leads so you don't accidently hook up your battery to the motor lead and vice-a-versa.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
rmoetken

How's the deans ultra micro plugs work? Would they be fine for a motor esc plug,
Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
flat6

Thanks for the help guys. The mini is now fully deans equipped. Bearings are also here, waiting for my aluminum rear hubs. Then on to a orion baja oh and tires...Rears are a bit bald lol

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

YES ot DOES matter!!!! You MUST put the female plug on the battery, and the male plug on the ESC.... If you put the male plug on the battery, and set the battery down so that it touches something conductive, it will short, at best melting the plug and ruining the battery, worst case, you burn down the house....
If you are doing the motor with deans too, you want the male plug on the motor and female on the ESC like rschoi_75 said, plugging the battery into the motor leads will ruin the ESC....
Make sure you follow the directions on the deans package for polarity, if you wire it up reverse of standard, and one of your buddys borrows a pack or charger, they will NOT be pleased when it wrecks their equipment! (or yours if you are borrowing one of their packs)

As for micro deans, I would say away from them. They are DANGEROUS! Basically its a really BAAAAAD design... With deans micro polarized plugs its possible to plug a battery into the motor side of an ESC, which fry's the esc, its Also possible to plug two batteries together, also not good! Its also not too difficult for the exposed pin on the ESC to touch both the male pin on the battery and the female socket at the same time, shorting it. Stay away from deans micro connectors!!

I would go with traxxas high current connectors. Deans Ultra are a good choice as well, but the traxxas are easier to solder, and easier to unplug.. Plus you dont need heatswrink when attaching them, I cant tell you how many times i have soldered up a deans connector, and then realized I forgot the swringkwrap, so had to desolder it and do it over....