Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

esc help!?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:31 PM
rmoetken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esc help!?!?!?!?!

I've been looking for info on running an aftermarket ESC. I got a LRP A.I. Runner Plus just sitting around and I was wondering if using an aftermarket esc is gonna give me more speed? I'm just trying to get as much out of my motor as possible...any help????
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
dacaur

Default RE: esc help!?!?!?!?!

Yes there is a good chance you will go faster with an aftermarket ESC... the reason is that most aftermarket ESC's use much bigger wire than stock mini ESC's... feel your ESC wires after hard run and they will probably be warm/hot.... that means that more amps are trying to go through but cant because the wire is too small... upgrading to an ESC with bigger wire will let all the amps the motor wants go through, boosting speed a little, plus bigger wire has less resistance, and resistance = voltage drop, (very tiny) and less voltage = less speed.... You also need to upgrade the connectors at the same time... using bigger gauge wire then handicapping it with a crappy connector wont do any good. Tamiya, micro t connectors and such are no-nos. you need deans ultra or traxxas high current connectors. (I'm a fan of traxxas connectors myself, they are easier to solder on, dont need heat shrink, have + and - sighs molded in so you cannot hook it up backwards, and are easier to disconnect after a run...)

Depending on the stock ESC, the performance boost could be anywhere from almost unnoticeable, all the way to "WOW, how did just changing the ESC do THAT!"

Ive got an AI runner plus too... keep in mind that cutting off the stock connector voids the warrany, so test the ESC before you cut if off. its a great little ESC though... I switch it between my mini quake and mini-V boat...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
rmoetken

Yeah I've already upgraded my plugs to ultra deans, so should I put this esc in would it be a good idea to put thicker wire on the motor and upgrade the motor plugs to a better plug also?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
alfreddajero

Yes it is....running 10th scale esc's is way better then going with an 18th scale esc.....they dont get hot and you can run hotter motors. That is if your running a Tekin B1R.........
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
rcdude4051
My Feedback: (1)

mamba micro pro is the top of the line esc, better than quark 33a IN MY OPINION
Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Frozen72

I ran a Tazer 12T in my Mini-T and Vendetta ST for over a year.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: rmoetken

Yeah I've already upgraded my plugs to ultra deans, so should I put this esc in would it be a good idea to put thicker wire on the motor and upgrade the motor plugs to a better plug also?

yea I would use the same gauge thats on the ESC.... I use 3.5mm bullet connectors on all my motors (planes and cars) so that every thing's compatible and I dont have to worry about forgetting which size to buy.... you can go smaller on a 1/18'th scale if you want, but using too big wont hurt...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
nlsolja26

I'm pretty sure I have that exact ESC for my brushed vendetta st, it definitely goes a lot faster, and I just directly soldered the ESC to the motor.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
rmoetken

Dacuar- since you have this esc I gotta question for you..
Can that esc handle a team orion mini baja motor with a 2 cell lipo 1900mah cause I was running that esc in my MMB and it would get hotter then hell..it was hot to the touch on the casing, heatsink, and the double sided tape wouldn't stick cause it melted. I was also using 2 motors in my MMB.. Would it be okay with my mini baja and that motor and battery?
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
dacaur

Hmm.... do you have the heatsink on the ESC? it doesn't come installed, but its in the package..... the ESC c an handle 75 amps, so I honestly cannot imagine even 2 mini motors taxing it, unless the heatsink is not installed or the gearing is way too high.. It should definitely be able to handle any single mini motor you can throw at it.... The ESC stock in my mini quake used to get really hot in grass... with the AI runner plus it stays pretty cool no matter what I do.

<edit> also, keep in mind the ESC doesnt have a lipo cutoff...
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
rmoetken

Yeah I put the heatsink on just cause I like to keep things as cool as possible.
I was also having diff problems in my MMB, so I kinda put two and two together and I thought my battery was to much for the esc.
I think when I get my other motor I'll take your advice on the set-up using 3.5mm wire on the motor but, I'll have a deans plug instead.
But, that esc can handle the battery right?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM
dacaur

yes, though its technically not rated for lipos, the max voltage of a 2 cell lipo is actualy a little bit lower than the Max voltage of a 6 cell nimh/nicad (8.4 vs 8.7, respectively), so it will be fine, its rated for 4-6 cells and 75 amps, down to a 15 turn motor.... definitely dont try more than a 2 cell lipo or a 6 cell nicad/nimh though....
Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
rmoetken

Okay I won't. I only run 2 cell lipos anyways. Thanks a lot for the help