Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

I had three Mini Maulers a while back and even though they are not the most popular mini around, my sons and I had a lot of fun with them on the driveway and in the house. The only thing is that they look a little cartoonish for my taste. Now, I want to get something for myself that is similar in size, which I can upgrade if I'd like, but has a little higher quality. I've been debating about getting either a Losi Micro Desert Truck a Kyosho Mini-Z Overland or even a Mini LST2. Any of them would make me happy, but the thing that I'm concerned with the most is run time. With the Maulers, I could drive for 30-40 minutes or more on the four rechargeable AA batteries (I got spoiled), but I get the feeling that none of the trucks that I like will last for more than about 10 minutes in their stock form. [&o]

Is there another mini out there that has really good quality and will run for at least half an hour at a time w/o having to change or charge batteries? [] I guess I could go with bearings, brushless and LiPo in the Losi, but that is really getting up there in price for a small addition of run-time. It probably would still not last 20 minutes.

If you have an opinion, I would appreciate it. [8D]

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Question

if they still make the mini maulers get one and change the body to make it less cartoonish?

or get one of those other trucks and run lipo[>:]
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM

A mini T will run for a long time on 4 AA's. I would recommend that
Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM

A little bigger then a mini but my stock 18 b gets around 25-35 a pack in stock form stock battery .
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess long run times on most models is not very likely, so I will just have to do what I can with the Losi Micro Desert Truck or the Overland. The smallers vehicles can go with me to work. If I can get the Overland to run on 4 AAs instead of AAAs, I bet it would last twice as long as stock. [&:]
Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 PM

you can about double the runtime on most mini's by simply lowering the gearing. going down a couple teeth on the pinion on my mini quake my runtimes went from 10-12 min to 20-25 min. That was just an added bonus, the reason i went down was to get better performance on grass....
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM

why not the losi micro raminator?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM

If you're considering the Mini-z Overland, you may want to consider the Mini-Z Monster. It has higher clearance, if you want to run outside also. On 4 rechargeable AAA's, I can get over 30 minutes of runtime.

I really like this truck, because I can run it indoors when it's cold and raining, but it has enough clearance, and can be modified to be pretty quick. It's also fun to run outside in the front yard, doesn't require a lot of room, and can climb fairly well for a 2wd.

The trucks you are considering are very different in size. The Mini-Z's are 1/28 scale, the Losi Micro is 1/36, and the MLST2 is 1/18. Think about where you'll be running. The Losi Micro, and the Mini-z are best run inside, although they can handle the outdoors. The MLST2 is a pretty large 1/18 and is better outdside, and can be made very tough and fast. It's probably the closest to your Mini-Mauler.