Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Just scored a deal now where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just scored a deal now where to begin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
I think I just got a pretty good deal? I wanted an ST but it was a roller, just like I wanted. But I just now realize how much different the ST and the buggy are.

Here is my situation; I want to go brushless and lipo. I run on a small 1/18th track that is 40'x75'. I am looking at a Ammo 28-35-3900 but I am unsure of what radio gear to run.

Well I hope someone can help me on some of these things.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Just scored a deal now where to begin?

you got a good deal there.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Wow, nice you got a nice st/d-eal there. Yeah the ammo 28-35-3900 is a great motor for the vendetta (buggy or truggy). I'm running a mamba micro pro with mine, same thing as the micro sidewinder cept is has a case and heatsink. You can also use a 1/10 scale mamba brushless esc. Quark 33 is also a good choice. Lots of options when it comes to electronics. The ammo motor and mamba esc's will come with the needed connectors to plug into each other so no worries there. Get some dean connectors for your batteries and chargers. Lipo's...Jeajw will tell you to get nothing but the flightpower evolite 1600 2S pack. It fits, has incredible power, and is really affordable for a Lipo. You'll need a Lipo charger and balancer on your list if you don't already have them. Radio gear? Something with DSM.

Doesn't look like all the motor mounting hardware is there with the buggy. Should be a couple of blue aluminum plates that attach to the motor mount to adjust the gear mesh. Get a steering servo hold down: either buy one, or make one. That should get you started. Oh btw, stock drivetrain will go out pretty quick on brushless motors. Steel CVDs and at least 1 metal diff (ball diff) located in the rear will help out a lot. I prefer to buy the better parts, which are the DTX steel parts for the driveline. I've heard rumors of atomic aluminum CVDs losing their pins. For more info you should visit the Vendetta forum.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks Willy, those are some great tips.

I was also wondering since I will be upgrading axles, why not get ST arms and esc. Will this work or are they set up differently?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM

If you wanna convert your buggy into the ST, it starts at the shock towers and goes all the way out to the hub carriers. Nothing in the front suspension is the same, and I haven't checked but I doubt the rear is the same either. You'd have to do some part number comparisons. The ST front suspension is much tougher though with the pillow ball style setup. I guess it depends on how much you wanna spend to get rolling. You could start with the buggy and just accumulate parts as you order or buy stuff. Do you know if you wanna buy any of the aluminum or graphite parts? If you don't wanna look through parts list and compare numbers you might be able to get jaejw to tell you the needed parts for a conversion.

The steel axles from DTX are pricey and I wouldn't imagine you'd want to buy a set for the ST and buggy (something like $27 a pair for the threaded axles) so best to decide early if you wanna do the conversion or buy a truck chassis already made up later. Who knows, you found a buggy frame for $50, maybe you'll get lucky with a ST too. Another thing to watch for when you buy the axles is DTX offers 2 types, ones with threaded ends that accepts a nylon/lock nut and ones that use a screw. DO NOT buy the ones that use a screw, wheels tend to work those lose and you might lose a wheel if one comes off going 40mph down the street in front of your house.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Yes that is one thing I did not like right away about the vendetta was the screw holding the wheel on.

But man it looks like I would have to convert a ton of things to change to a ST. I am such an idiot for getting the buggy. I guess I am so used to Losi products and I assumed it was just a different body and shock towers, hah. Well I was wrong...[&o]
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Drive it around a while, you might find out you like it. Buggy will be a bit nimbler around the corners and should respond faster in it handling.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 PM

Oh to answer your earlier question. I want graphite upgrades. My track has many jumps and a few 180 turns with 8-9 foot lanes. Is a buggy all right for that? I would like to drive it like you say but I would like to get it all set up the way I want and then drive cause then I can sell my buggy parts as new on eBay. Get my drift?