Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICAL RC18R THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL RC18R THREAD

none at all, even on 3s lipos 8900kv but, if i were to run them on anything else than ice and snow (or carpet) they would wear down to nothing in no time.

I actually pulled some out deliberately because my friend has fewer along the center of the tire, so i removed them; have to pull at them with pliers quite hard to get them to come out.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

aflipz,
Did you water proof anything before you ran on the ice like that?

suckerforamoneypit,
That has to be the dirtiest in door parking lot I have ever seen. Don't you guys complain about that?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
aflipz

Yeah we shield the whole bathtub chassis; seal motor vent hole with duct tape, cover the chassis, electronics etc with glad press n seal taped to the chassis all around.

No heat issues to report at -25C
Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM
suckerforamoneypit

8900kv on 3s lipos.. wow whats your gear ratio?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
suckerforamoneypit

and Wheelnut there is no point in complaining I live in a 25 story building with only students and they just dont care.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Wheelnut

I am the type of person that expects alot for my money. That's just the way I am. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a complainer, but if things aren't right, it can sound that way
Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 AM
suckerforamoneypit

well I put up a big fight with the guys over some other things a few times and got a really nice penthouse apartment with a deck overlooking the water for the price of a first floor 1 bedroom. so as for a dirty parking lot i dont really care, what sucks is I do have a 2nd car in storage that i wont park down there but i cant afford to drive it right now anyway.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: suckerforamoneypit

well I put up a big fight with the guys over some other things a few times and got a really nice penthouse apartment with a deck overlooking the water for the price of a first floor 1 bedroom. so as for a dirty parking lot i dont really care, what sucks is I do have a 2nd car in storage that i wont park down there but i cant afford to drive it right now anyway.
Now it makes sense

Now back to the RC18R.
Where is my darn brushless motors??? Come on USPS get me my stuff!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
aflipz

17T pinion to 55T spur

May seem like too much (and it is) but the car is very light, no cogging at all. Motor gets a bit not but that's to be expected.

Most of the time i run 2S lipos or 2s A123. The A123 would be great for racing; voltage is a bit lower making throttle easier to manage and the voltage stays the same from start to finish making the car feel very consistent.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
suckerforamoneypit

That thing must really move.
I tryed running a 17/54 on 2s as well but but found the motor get a bit hot. what esc and motor are you running?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
aflipz

I used to be running a ebay 30A esc that i bought packaged with the motor. I got countless runs on it without any problems and then...

I tried to waterproof it with corrosion block and removed it's heatsink (live dangerously, that's my motto) and it blew a fet.

I then replaced it with a sidewinder micro sport, which I believed to be waterproof and ran on ice for several consecutive packs (totally unprotected) until POOF! So I bought another one and sent back the blown unit to Castle for an out of warranty repair (30$ flat rate) Castle says it is highly water resistant but if you get it wet during a run, you must let it thoroughly dry before running it again.

If I were to run it on 3 cells and drove the whole pack straight without giving the motor a rest there is no doubt in my mind it would eventually fry but on 2S it's hot, but not too hot.

I am a stickler for weight savings and free running gears, bearings etc. If I had the motor even a little too tight against the spur something would probably get really hot really fast.

I used to have a 8000kv on a rc18T with stock gears and it was running a lot hotter, probably due to the added rotating mass. Even if I down geared it was still getting hot.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Mousesi2k

Your ice driving video was pretty sweet. Pretty much like drifting. I wish i could get a chance to do that but ice in Southern California is extremely hard to come by haha I've been neglecting my R's for the past few days since i picked up the Losi Mini Rock Crawler. Still dosent compair to the fun factor of the 18R rippin up the street though
Old 03-07-2009, 03:18 PM
aflipz

Thanks!

And be careful what you wish for, I don't know how well so-cal people are equipped to deal with -25C temperatures, but it can kill you if you don't plan your outing right
Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Wheelnut

Didn't someone post pics of their home made drift tires? I have looked back several pages and I can't find the pic.
I went to my local homedepot and they don't carry black ABS pipe anymore. I checked out the white PVC pipe and it seemed to be WAY OFF! Probably around 5mm or so. I wouldn't want to wrap that much tape on it to get it to fit. Could someone please help me find the stuff I am looking for. Like what size pipe did you use??? I have the wheels, I just need to find something I can use as a drift tire. Mabye I can just run the bare wheels
Also, what WT oil are you guys running in your 18R shocks for on road?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
aflipz

I wouldn't use ABS drift "tires" if you gave them to me. (I love everything else Driven Productions makes mind you)

get yourself a length of 4" shrink wrap (the kind for making battery packs)

cut lengths to cover the tire with some spilling over both sides; hit it with the heat gun to get a nice even shrink; voila, you got a drift tire that will last surprisingly long AND, when you want to use it for grip driving again, you can easily cut and tear off the shrink wrapping.

This is much quieter on pavement than the sound hard ABS and is much lighter, reducing rotating mass.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks, I had some laying around and I checked it out and it is a perfect fit!! I just didn't think of that. Why didn't someone say something earlier I will need to buy some more. I only have enough for one car. I need to do both my sons and mine.

I am getting ready to put together the 3Racing shocks. What piston (2 hole or 3 hole) and what shock oil do you guys recommend for on road?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
kukkudo

How are these for durrability, parts, etc?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 AM
aflipz

Very good and cheap to buy parts for, cheaper than any micro I owned.

Wheelnut, I just used 35wt and the 2 holes with my shocks seemed pretty good to me, didn't really mess around much.

You remind me, now that spring is pretty much here I need to change the oil back; running on ice at -25C requires a lower weight because even it becomes thicker than 35 at such low temperatures, 35 just turns to hard butter.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
kukkudo

What are stock speeds on these? Any common problems or issues? Also what other cars are in the same class, range, price as this
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 AM
aflipz

Common problems occur when you increase power considerably, I only start breaking parts when I use 3s lipos on my brushless motor. Most of the time on 2s it's fine. If you saw how stupidly overpowered it is on 3s you would fully understand...

Stock speed is not very fast but enough to have fun with especially in tighter spaces. If you want to bash and do speed runs on long flat and smooth surfaces like huge vacant parking lots you will find the stock setup falls short.

bear in mind at that price you get a really cheap battery/charger combo, it should probably be the first thing to go, then get a brushless combo that suits your needs. Diffs should last a good long time unless you go with 3s lipos in which case you will by buying them and a lot of replacement parts sooner than later.

I think the most important mod to minimize frustration and downtime is the DP gear cover. Then if you get a brushless motor some cvd's or dogbones are in order but other than that very few necessities on this one.

then it's a mater of tunability like turbuckles etc. Or, of course you could throw catalogs of hopups at it, some more useful than others. Let us know what you are after.

Haven't shopped around for anything in this class recently so I'll let someone else answer that one, it's late in the east I am going to bed now, peace!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Wheelnut

Thanks for the help on the shocks guys. I will see if I have some 35 wt. If not, should I go for 30wt or 40wt? I Know I have both of those.

The closest cars in this class are the Vendetta touring car, there is also a 1/16 drifting car on E-bay and one on eworldtoy.com that you could slap some on road tires on. I have contacted them to see if they are selling the parts for it separately yet, and they are not. They said the parts should be in anyday about a month ago
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
aflipz

I think you should experiment with the shock oil maybe try 30 back 40 front and then vice versa and see what works best.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

so heatshrink will hold up on concrete? the idea crossed my mind, but i figured it would shred in the first few minutes...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
kukkudo

What are the differences between the others and the Niteline? All I see is body and gold rims is it worth paying the $50 more
Old 03-16-2009, 02:05 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: kukkudo

What are the differences between the others and the Niteline? All I see is body and gold rims is it worth paying the $50 more
Do you mean that your LHS is charging you 50$ more for the niteline than the other models?

If so, turn around walk out of there (preferably flip off the owner at the same time) and never do business with them again because yes the wheels are a gold colored plastic and the body is niteline but other than that they are all IDENTICAL.

What a ripoff... you can buy 2 sets of 3 racing wheel and tires premounted and a couple of bodies + shipping for that kind of price difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.