Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Will a ball diff help minimize my sliding out?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Will a ball diff help minimize my sliding out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 PM
SuperJETT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a ball diff help minimize my sliding out?

Watch my vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65iA4Kw0oHI

Notice how it likes to spin around under power? Is that from the stock differential only spinning one tire and not getting any real drive forward? Would a ball diff help push me forward instead of spinning around so much?

It seems to have gotten a lot worse after replacing the stock motor with the stump puller.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
FloridaDude

Default RE: Will a ball diff help minimize my sliding out?

do u have mini pin tires and it look like u were giving to much throttle wene trying to turn on lose dirt
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: SuperJETT

Notice how it likes to spin around under power? Is that from the stock differential only spinning one tire and not getting any real drive forward? Would a ball diff help push me forward instead of spinning around so much?

It seems to have gotten a lot worse after replacing the stock motor with the stump puller.
What you're noticing is not so much the diff, though a proper balldiff is better, as much as it is the slipper clutch not being properly adjusted. And chances are, since the stock one is junk, that it won't be solved without getting a Losi DD Slipper.

The slipper should be adjusted so that from a standing start that you punch the throttle and the rear tires do not spin, or slipper slips, for the first foot or two on takeoff. This allows more rear wheel control, and not spin, which is what's causing the truck to spin around when you punch the throttle - something you're noticing now more so because you've got a more powerful motor.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
FloridaDude

also what detta said
Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM
SuperJETT

You know, I messed around with checking the adjustment on it after that run but I haven't had it back on the dirt since to see if it helped. I also don't think I loosened it up enough either. Stock, it was almost locked up, I could barely make it slip by turning the pinion.

More testing tomorrow, thanks for the info.

ORIGINAL: DettaDude

What you're noticing is not so much the diff, though a proper balldiff is better, as much as it is the slipper clutch not being properly adjusted. And chances are, since the stock one is junk, that it won't be solved without getting a Losi DD Slipper.

The slipper should be adjusted so that from a standing start that you punch the throttle and the rear tires do not spin, or slipper slips, for the first foot or two on takeoff. This allows more rear wheel control, and not spin, which is what's causing the truck to spin around when you punch the throttle - something you're noticing now more so because you've got a more powerful motor.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
SuperJETT

They are the stock mini-dt tires,

ORIGINAL: FloridaDude

do u have mini pin tires and it look like u were giving to much throttle wene trying to turn on lose dirt
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM
DettaDude
Banned

They ALWAYS come too tight from the factory, mine was locked too.
It's one of those things I try not and adjust except on the surface I'm running. If on asphalt or concrete it can stand tightening, and running on dirt it needs to be looser. So I always do the final adjustment trackside (keep the socket in my pocket).

You know, I messed around with checking the adjustment on it after that run but I haven't had it back on the dirt since to see if it helped. I also don't think I loosened it up enough either. Stock, it was almost locked up, I could barely make it slip by turning the pinion.

More testing tomorrow, thanks for the info.

ORIGINAL: DettaDude

Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 PM
DettaDude
Banned

They are the stock mini-dt tires,

Changing to pinspikes takes away the scale realism look of the DT and takes away some of the fun of them.
Throttle control helps some, but the big thing is the slipper adjustment.
Mine works GREAT.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
FloridaDude

some RC18b tires will help with grip that that its the main problem [link=http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-23598/ASC21281-%282%29-Rear-Spoked/Detail?sfs=396a82b8]18B tires[/link]
Old 11-29-2008, 06:23 PM
DettaDude
Banned

If you're going to screw around with pinspikes don't waste your time with the hard/low grip AE pins and instead go with some real ProLines.

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...l?sfs=396a82b8
Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
FloridaDude

Had never use those before so didnt know if they were any good. cheaper and better cant beat that
Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 PM
DettaDude
Banned

Had never use those before so didnt know if they were any good. cheaper and better cant beat that
On your RC18T, use them on the rear and the stockers on the front. You'll be pleased.

You'll freak how much softer they are, as well as longer wearing.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:54 PM
SuperJETT

Ok, it was 95% dark, but I adjusted and went back out on the dirt. Way better, lots less sliding out. It does seem weird to hear the motor spin up and the truck 'catches up' in speed, maybe I had it a little too loose.

I have a feeling the stock slipper will wear out quickly like this so I need to get the dd slipper?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 PM
DettaDude
Banned

Ok, it was 95% dark, but I adjusted and went back out on the dirt. Way better, lots less sliding out. It does seem weird to hear the motor spin up and the truck 'catches up' in speed, maybe I had it a little too loose.

I have a feeling the stock slipper will wear out quickly like this so I need to get the dd slipper?
Yup, the stock plastic slipper will likely wear out pretty fast if used as designed.
I've never even attempted to use one, just replaced it with the DD Slipper - best 19 bucks you'll spend.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1131
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
FloridaDude

mine wore out in like 1 week. Detta did someone really rate ur pics bad uz that was some nice work
Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM
DettaDude
Banned

mine wore out in like 1 week. Detta did someone really rate ur pics bad uz that was some nice work
Yup, one of the "boyz" just playin games.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM
FloridaDude

to bad i was going to use one of the desings on my 18b body
Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
DettaDude
Banned

edit = never mind, it ain't cool playing both sides against the middle[:@]
Old 11-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Gex_61

You guys are right, but the main problem is the differential. I'm sure it's a bit of everything though.

Getting tires with more grip in that loose surface will help because the tire that wants to spin more, due to the differential, won’t be able to spin as much if it has grip. This will not completely fix the problem though. The diff will still affect the car at high and low speed.

Tightening and loosening the slipper is meant to help you from spinning out when you first accelerate at low speed, so it could help you from initially spinning out if you adjust it right. Personally, I don't think you need it on a mini. I think it is a feature that helps the 1/10 vehicles most. A 1/18 is light weight, and you have pretty decent control of the vehicle just using throttle control, even with high powered motors. FYI, the Losi upgraded slipper has been known to cause friction since it clamps down on the transmittion bearings. I have one and it continues to sit in my pit box unused; I prefer to use the stock slipper, tight.

I think the differential will fix the problem. You can still spin out depending on what's mentioned above, but the overall handling will be much more consistent. In the video, I can see your differential kicking in at both high and low speeds. If you do decide to get a differential, get one from MIP.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
kybowtie

Something that alot of mini runners fail to do is balance their wheels. Balance your wheels, and you have a brand new beast!!! Handling improves 10 fold. It also improves wear and tear of ALL your drivetrain parts, and - it helps the vehicle from spinning out prematurely. Without balancing, the wheels want to "hop", and when they do, they lose contact with the ground.

I balance my mini wheels with a piece of coat hanger wire. Simply spin the wheel, and the heavy side will fall. Take a piece of putty (start off with about a 3/8" diameter) and place it on the inside of the wheel at the top, with the heavy side down. Spin the wheel again, doesn't take much. When you have the right amount, the putty will stop at either 9 or 3 o'clock.

Once you do this, you'll notice a huge gain in handling and speed.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
SuperJETT

I noticed a ton more vibration when freewheeling it with the new motor from the wheels, and was thinking I needed to balance them, just wasn't sure how I was going to do it.

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: kybowtie

Something that alot of mini runners fail to do is balance their wheels. Balance your wheels, and you have a brand new beast!!! Handling improves 10 fold. It also improves wear and tear of ALL your drivetrain parts, and - it helps the vehicle from spinning out prematurely. Without balancing, the wheels want to "hop", and when they do, they lose contact with the ground.

I balance my mini wheels with a piece of coat hanger wire. Simply spin the wheel, and the heavy side will fall. Take a piece of putty (start off with about a 3/8" diameter) and place it on the inside of the wheel at the top, with the heavy side down. Spin the wheel again, doesn't take much. When you have the right amount, the putty will stop at either 9 or 3 o'clock.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: kybowtie

Good idea, I never even thought to balance my wheels on my mlst2... But when the wheels are pefectly balanced, the should stop at a different spot every time. if the putty stop's at 9 or 3 o'clock every time, that would indicate that the 6 o'clock position is now the heavy side...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
kybowtie

You'll see, spool-up the wheels when you think you have them balanced. Hold your mini when you do. You'll know if they are balanced.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
18th_racer
Banned

a good balldiff makes a big difference, but a slipper clutch made all the difference in the world for me especially on dirt
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
18th_racer
Banned

good idea especially on mlst's with heavy wheels and tires, but i can't say i ever noticed any appreciable difference spending the time doing it on my mini-t's because the wheels are so small and lightweight. and it's impossible on the rear wheels unless you have a dedicated hub set-up just for balancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.