Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Micro DT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro DT Thread

I'm thinking about getting a micro DT, so i thought i would start a thread. since there all so similar, this thread cold be used to discuss ALL Losi 1/36 micro vehicles. i would get it at my LHS, Galaxy Hobby (www.galaxyhobby.com) and they have alot of hop-ups available for it. Im wondering what parts break the easiest and what i should get as my first hop-ups. im thinking the bearings and then maybe go lipo/brushless or alum oil shocks. any suggestions for what lipo/bl i should get? if i get the losi, i would get 2s lipo and 8750 xcelorin. and how durable are they? like if i drive it indoors and crash into walls/furniture alot, is it gonna be breaking all the time? alum. hop-ups arent super expensive but there not really cheap eaither IMO for things that tiny.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Micro DT Thread

I picked up some Micros for me and my boys in December.

I really like them and they are a blast, but here is what I have learned-

The e-clips SUCK beyond belief. I can't figure out why Losi doesn't provide threaded axles with a nut instead of the crappy micro e-clips. I am sure they add cost, but WOW, really? I lose one out of every 3 e-clips from removal or installation. I despise the e-clips. Getting the e-clips onto Micro DT wheels is even harder because the wheels aren't dishes like the others. I can't say this enough. For your first mod, plan to get threaded axles for #1. Definitely get bearings at the same time.

#2, steering links need to be upgraded. The thin, clear plastic for the stock steering links will break, not if but when. They were purposely designed weak to prevent breaking other things. Many people (myself included) use zip ties when the stock links break. Don't get too carried away on the links because if you make them too strong you will be breaking steering knuckles every time. Like I said, a nice normal zip tie makes great steering links.

#3, the stock 150mAh batteries don't last long. They last maybe 10 minutes. Get the 180-200mAh 7.4 lipo, preferably with the built in low voltage cutoff (remember that you will need a lipo charger for this). Or you can look at other batteries out there. There is a 160mAh NimH pack for sale from Atomic I think.

#4 pick up some spare steering knuckles. These will break.

#5 get a few of those micro jumps from Losi. They are fun.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
traxxaspede

1st of all thanks for all the info

i guess when i get it i will buy the threaded axles so i can use lock nuts instead of e-clips

if i get the 2s lipo att/chrgr combo, does the batt have the built in cut-off? and how long wold 300mah lipo last?

if i cant get the lipo right away, then il probably jst get 1 more nimh.
also, i heard that ball bearing will add around 1 minute of run time.

how fast are they stock? and about how much ground clearance does the DT have?

edit>> 2s or 3s lipo?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

The Losi 2S lipo does have a built in low and overvoltage cutoff. If 150mAh lasts around 10 minutes, the 300mAh should double your run time. Definitely add ball bearings. It does extend run times. It's hard to tell how fast they are because of the size but they seem REALLY fast. It can scoot from one side of my basement to the other quickly. Reviews have them pegged at 10-12MPH. That isn't impressive for 1/10 scale, but for 1/36 scale it is HAULING.

2S = 7.4V 3S = 11.1V. I doubt the stock ESC could handle a 3S.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
traxxaspede

I think that the 300mah lipos would last longer because i heard lipo lasts longer than nimh of the same capacity. something like 30%. Do you think it would be worth the 50 dollars to the xcelorin brushless? im sure it would make it faster, but what about runtime. and what voltage is the stock battery? is it 7.2?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
ftt4maniac

I have the 300 mah lipo, and seriously, i kinda get bored running it because of the battery life. I would say better than 30 minutes.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
traxxaspede

thats awesome. and the lipos are only 30 dollars.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
subsage

Noob question about lipos and chargers...

I have the micro DT and I love it, but now I'm ready to invest in some batteries. I've got the 180 mah 7.4v 2-cell Lipo and charger already. Is this charger compatible with the 300 mah battery? What about if/when I upgrade to BL and get the 11.1V battery...will I need to buy the charger or is the one I have compatible?

Also, am I correct to assume that when I do upgrade to BL, I can still use the 7.4v batteries? It will just go slower, but still faster than the stock motor, correct?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Tsal

Do you need the Losi charger specifically for these li-pos or will any li-po charger do the job? I have a Duratrax ICE where do you buy the charge leads?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Tsal

Any one? hello?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: Tsal

Do you need the Losi charger specifically for these li-pos or will any li-po charger do the job? I have a Duratrax ICE where do you buy the charge leads?
You can use any good lipo charger. You'll just have to buy or make your own connectors, about $3. I've been using my Onyx 230 and it's doing fine.