Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Anyone boil their M18T parts to increase durability?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Anyone boil their M18T parts to increase durability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
combatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone boil their M18T parts to increase durability?

Hey guys,

I agree with many that the XRay 1/18 line is among the best handling mini trucks out there. But I have had poor luck with mine while racing...broken steering knuckle, broken upper arms, broken stock CVDs. All resulting from minor impacts due to imperfect landings (cartwheels and such) on carpet tracks. My RC18Ts and RC18Rs had no such breakages, keeping in line with their reputation for durability.

So, there have been threads here on boiling plastic parts to make them less brittle, and better able to withstand impacts.

Has anyone tried that with the more delicate parts from their XRay M18Ts?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
iTz Nicholas

Default RE: Anyone boil their M18T parts to increase durability?

It would help with durablility but the reason the M18T handle so much better is due to the stiffer plastic.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
combatman

Oh. I thought the M18Ts handled so well due to the steering mechanism and the pivot ball design.

I'll give the boiling a try anyway...
Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 AM
calvino

I do have to say boiling any plastic part makes it last longer. I boiled some diff gears for our RC18's and even with some wheelie popping 4200 KV motor on 3S trashing it on our track, the gears still seem to be in good condition.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
suckerforamoneypit

I dont know about AE stuff for sure but I have boiled all my Losi and non-nylon Traxxas stuff and I could see I difference in how long it lasted
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
combatman

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a try. XRay M18T soup it is!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
SnailPowered

I have heard about this before but don't precisely understand how you do it. Is there a certain time to boil, or a good temp? I want to do something OTHER than buy a ball diff for my MMB (I know I am on the opposing thread LOL) but I don't have any lithium grease either. I did have the "bright" idea of putting 10,000wt silicone diff lock oil in it to see what happens and it has been safe so far because I don't have all my parts yet LOL. If you guys can shed some light on the boiling I would appreciate it and I would also like to know where I can get some grease for the center diff. I have standard automotive grease but I don't think that is the same LOL. What do you guys think about putting diff lock oil in there? Thank you!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
combatman

ORIGINAL: SnailPowered

I have heard about this before but don't precisely understand how you do it. Is there a certain time to boil, or a good temp? I want to do something OTHER than buy a ball diff for my MMB (I know I am on the opposing thread LOL) but I don't have any lithium grease either. I did have the "bright" idea of putting 10,000wt silicone diff lock oil in it to see what happens and it has been safe so far because I don't have all my parts yet LOL. If you guys can shed some light on the boiling I would appreciate it and I would also like to know where I can get some grease for the center diff. I have standard automotive grease but I don't think that is the same LOL. What do you guys think about putting diff lock oil in there? Thank you!
Regarding boiling, I boil a pot of water, and lower the heat until it is just barely bubbling. Then, I place my plastic parts into a plastic strainer (kinda like a flour sifter thing), and lower the strainer into the pot. I do this so that the plastic pieces don't touch the bottom or sides of the pot, which may be hotter than the water.

I allow the plastic parts to sit in the boiling water for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the water in the pot, and the plastic pieces still submerged in the water, to cool down. I could be wrong, but if you quickly cool your plastic pieces, they may become brittle.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
SnailPowered

Awesome thanks a million! I will do this and then I am going to put some more 10,000wt diff lock oil in there to see if it does anything good Hopefully I won't shred them on the first throttle pull. One other question, does the diff lock oil lubricate enough or should I get some more lithium grease, and is it the same as the white lithium grease in the spray can? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
dionysus

man thats an old school trick . id that with my rc 10 bitd