Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

ORIGINAL: dacaur

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Dacaur,

The spektrums should be perfect for me. However, I once had a mini-t and it's electronics were poor compared to the Traxxas ones I've been using. I guess you are referencing a higher end model by Losi.
Joe
I have not had any issue with losi electronics... A mini-t isn't really a good indicator, being a $100 RTR... but in any case, the reciver is made for losi by spektrum, so either way its not an issue

I guess I'm gonna take a shot at your quote game Dacaur - but it's all in fun - you did quote that the rcvr is made by spektrum. Now I know what you meant after reading further posts and you did state spektrum makes Losi 2.4 electronics. But going back to this post, you can see my reason for confusion.

Ha ha ha. I guess everyone makes an errant statement or two.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Dacaur,

The spektrums should be perfect for me. However, I once had a mini-t and it's electronics were poor compared to the Traxxas ones I've been using. I guess you are referencing a higher end model by Losi.
Joe
I have not had any issue with losi electronics... A mini-t isn't really a good indicator, being a $100 RTR... but in any case, the reciver is made for losi by spektrum, so either way its not an issue

I guess I'm gonna take a shot at your quote game Dacaur - but it's all in fun - you did quote that the rcvr is made by spektrum. Now I know what you meant after reading further posts and you did state spektrum makes Losi 2.4 electronics. But going back to this post, you can see my reason for confusion.

Ha ha ha. I guess everyone makes an errant statement or two.
Sure, if you take it out of context and put it out there as a standalone statement it looks like that, I guess due to the nature of message boards and the non-linear conversations I should have been more clear that I wasn't talking about the mini-t reciver. But either way you obviously understood what I meant in the end anyway, so I'm not too worried about it Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
J0EC00L

Good to Go. Bro
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 AM
MTboy

MTboy,

Good to see you on this side of the forums. The Merv is a great basher! I've tumbled mine multiple times and it just keeps on going. In fact, it typically breaks a halfshaft or arm when your not under extreme conditions. Weird like that. But you will enjoy the merv fa more than a mini t or rc18. Trust us!!! It has it's short falls, but everything else out weighs the competition and you'll see that upon running your merv on nihms and lipos.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks joe.
Still not sure what my next rig will be but I am really liking the merv. It really looks like it can take some heavy hits but the mini thing bugs me..lol
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
J0EC00L

ahhh don't let the mini thing bug you. It's just an miniature version of the E-Revo... seriously! The power behind the E-Revo is probably equivalent to 1/8 scale power, so Traxxas realized the potential to stuff 1/10 scale power into a scaled down version of their successful E-REvo platform -> a 1/16 scale RC - called it a mini, but i think its a step above your typical 1/18 scale mini's.
I just wish they would have made the slash a mini version of the slash and the same with the summit... geeze, is it so hard to make a locking diff scaled down?

The MERV can take a beating, but there are few problem areas that need to be addressed, but only when they give you trouble. Some have manged to keep their MERV stock, aside from a T-bone bumper or differnt wheels and it's lasted through many runs and beatings. Others have come across troubling issues early on - such as the half shafts popping off, the differentials stripping some (this due to bulkheads not sealing 100%) and the driver popping rough wheelies under heavy torque; and ultimately the hubs wearing out at the ball joints. the arms are also prone to crack, but that usually comes after a fairly rough crash landing... RPM makes probably the best replacement out there, as the plastic is very tough, yet bends slightly when needed, where as alum can bend permanently after a tough landing. Well, i guess you can bend alum back, but it's not the same unless your a master craftsman with a stead hammer and good skills.

All in All - the MERV is a superb RC for its size compared to the competition and at the price. You will be very happy with it, and the options are endless. Purchase some slash/rally arms, springs, pushrods/turnbuckles, halfshafts/CVD's, and wheels - and you've literally got two to three different RC's in one, with just an hour swap out of parts. beats buying two different cars. I bought a rally, but i did that because i wanted to start fresh with it and keep it solely onroad as my speeder, leaving the merv as a basher. but if you go on ebay to purchase those parts for the slash, the stock ones may run you less than 50 for everything, except the wheels. Can't beat that!

Enjoy bud

Joe
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
dacaur

I havent had any issues with my mini e-revo other than one broken control arm, and that after nearly a year owning it and due to a gnarly meeting with a pointed rock embedded in the ground, twice... the arm broke the second time, replaced with RPM... My rear hubs do need to be replaced now at about 1 1/2 years.... I dont drive it as much as some, so if you drive every day you will be replacing them sooner, but for a stock truck, its TOUGH! My secret is sticking with stock voltage. I run 2 stock packs in parallel. Ill be upgrading to 2 2cell lipos in parallel pretty soon, but only for more run time...

MOST problems people have are due to upping the voltage. stick with stock voltage, and you wont have problems stripping diffs or popping half shafts... This thing is tough to control on nimh/2 cell lipo at full speed, so im not sure why so many people up the voltage and start breaking things [X(] (and then wonder why they keep stripping diffs and breaking stuff) When im running off road on gnarly terrain, Ill often put it in "training mode", because then I flip less, and get way more run time...

Keep in mind, the mini e-revo is indeed a 1/16 scale mini, but it really handles and drives more like a 1/10 scale... it will do anything a 2wd 1/10 will do except corner..... I sold my 2 wheel drive slash not long before I got my mini e-revo... much happier with the revo!!....
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I guess I will throw in my 2 cents as well. I have had several R/Cs over the past two years (1/10 2wd Slash/ 1/10 truggy and more) but only my son's and I's two Mervs remain. They are capable of doing anything. We mainly use them at our local track which is a 1/10 outdoor track. I have set up my Merv mainly for this track. On only 2S lipo and proper gearing it tears around the track and hangs with it's bigger rivals. In dry conditions when the track is loose it flies up the steep hill this course has while all the 2wds struggle up it or just dig in trying to get up it. We also use them to mess around in nearby parking lots or run them in the sand on trips to the beach. I also agree the Mini Revo is the most durable R/C I have ever owned. I have only broke a front a-arm and hub whichhappened on a cross-over on our local track, my Merv was broadsided by a 1/10 truck both going all out. I have made many upgrades to mine. But, after building the second Merv for my son decided to keep it stock until things start breaking. If you don't know already, for a 6 year old it's all or nothing when it comes to the throttle. So far he hasn't broken anything. About the only upgrade I would definitely recommend out of the box is the T-bone bumpers...they will save you lots of money and repairs in the long run. Eventually RPM a-arms and hubs once those parts break or wear out.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
J0EC00L

Yeah, I really have to agree with you Dacaur. The merv kept in stock form is really a beast. I actually put the stock esc I had in the rally on the merv and plan to stick with 2S lipos. I enjoy bashing it around and on parallel, I get about 45 to 55 mins of run tine with 2200mah (4400mah). My diffs started the clicking and stripping noise when I upped the voltage to do the flips. Wanted to try what I saw on Traxxas own stock video of the merv on 2 nihms in series. In fact, 2 stock nihms in series is more voltag than 3s. So if Traxxas didn't intend on the merv being able to handle the upped voltage, they wouldn't put it out there as an option. Granted, the gearing must be proper to hit those higher speeds on higher voltage in order to keep temps manageable and electronics safer from damage. All this I'm sure everyone knows from reading by now.

I put the MMP in the rally because i plan on putting the tenbol mount with larger motor in it to do a few speed runs. I guess it's the closest I can get to a 4 tec electronically. Still not a 4 tec, but it may be close... At least in speed, but not sure about handling yet. Maybe Traxxas will release a 1/10 rally. May be worth looking out for and would easily sell big, especially if they made it capable of on and offroad rally driving with a tuned suspension.

And definite yes on Tbone bumpers. Absolute must! They are extremely durable and absorb a decent portion of impact for the merv when it starts tumbling. The rears help with the wheelies too, providing just enough friction and counter balance to keep from flipping back, unless you goose the throttle purposely to enduce a back flip. I've rode wheelies down a straight line with the rear bumper keeping the car from flipping backward. Actually looks pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Gatorb8

I've only had this revo for about 2 weeks and I don't know squat about RC cars but I do know this thing has way exceeded my expectations!

I haven't done to much to it, so far: T-Bone skid/bumpers/wheelie bar, black & tan springs, 80 wt shock oil, response pro tires, white dish rims, 25T pinion, parallel 2S 2200 lipos.
I run it in nimh mode and use a lipo low voltage beeper to get 75% capacity out of it versus 60% with the esc lipo lvc.

I parallel charge at 1.5C and can charge two lipos in 30 minutes. This thing is a kick in the pants!FF

I just ran the p*ss out of it and checked temps
motor = 165F
esc = 135F
lipos = 98F
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
MTboy

Wow listen to you guys.. Are all of you in the car sales..lol
I've been reading and researching a few different rigs fro the past month to get the best bang for my buck since it's been a struggle here just to make it. Over the years I've had lots of RC's and had kept everything other then my mini's till about 6 months ago when we hit rock bottom. Sold everything to help in the hard times. Talk about loosing a piece of me..[]
Now that I finally got back to work (not my normal work so dont make crap) I want to pick something up that will keep me going all summer. Sounds like the MERV is it and thanks to you guys I will be making that order soon.
Really guys thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
plasma 327

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought i would share my MERV with all.. I usually run all "name brand" electronics but i read so many positives about the X-erun systems i thought i would try the 60 amp version on my merv. So far i have no complaints and like the programing card.. The card make changes a snap.. So, I still am weary about the X-Erun motors, i must say so far A+ on the ESC.. I have run about an hour totall onit so far..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20646.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1546080   Click image for larger version

Name:	om33065.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	1546081   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu59526.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1546082  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
brianjskora

Lookin good there plasma, I ran the EZ-run before on one of my revos and loved it, it looks the same as your x-run? I am sure they rebrand a few names... I've since then sold it, but it never failed me... it looks like you have a better one than I had too! I think only had a 30a, i could be wrong

Heres a new video my buddy shot the other day. This vid is more of the same if you've seen the track, but we've added a double after the triple in the foreground, so this video is the most up-to-date. Next will be a kicker jump before the table top on the left, so we land on the table top instead of just taking off and landing flat. (still waiting for a good rally video joe, but weather/ice/snow hasnt been treating our rally track well)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEO-3zstXvw&feature=email[/youtube]

Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
J0EC00L

Skora...

Have you gone on google earth to see what your backyard track looks like from outerspace. I know you can request recent imagery of a specific location, but it costs some money. Either way, awesome track and most of us envy you, if not all of us.

Joe
Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Gatorb8

got my 6 2200 mah 20C Zippies in today ($12.75 each-delivered)
stuck them on the parallel charge setup and good to go
had to trim the battery box on the back a bit
built a HK to Traxxas parallel adapter so I didn't have to put 6 Traxxas connectors on
they are .5oz heavier than the integy ones I have but for half the price I'm ok with that!
I'm running in nimh mode with a lipo alarm to get longer runtimes, the ESC LVC cuts off pretty high!
so 8 2200 mah lipos should give me some run time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17833.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1547010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93629.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1547011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72111.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1547012  
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
honda2237

I hope you mean series charge not parallel. I've always been told not to charge multiple batteries on parallel.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: honda2237

I hope you mean series charge not parallel. I've always been told not to charge multiple batteries on parallel.
I've been "parallel" balancing charging for over a year, probably done it 100's of times on the 60+ lipos I have, all my airplane buds do it, don't believe what you,ve been told.
It is important to only connect similarly charged lipos in parrallel, always connect the main battery leads in parallel first, then the balance wires. That way if they are not at similar voltages the main wires can handle the current and the lipos will self balance on the total voltage.
I haven't charged a single lipo in a long time!

so yes, PARALLEL!

You can get just about any parallel cable adapter you need from progressiverc.com, Dave is a great resource!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
honda2237

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

I've been ''parallel'' balancing charging for over a year, probably done it 100's of times on the 60+ lipos I have, all my airplane buds do it, don't believe what you,ve been told.
It is important to only connect similarly charged lipos in parrallel, always connect the main battery leads in parallel first, then the balance wires. That way if they are not at similar voltages the main wires can handle the current and the lipos will self balance on the total voltage.
I haven't charged a single lipo in a long time!

so yes, PARALLEL!
Thanks, always learning new things about lipos all the time.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
honda2237

I forgot to ask, did you get those from HK in China or their united states warehouse?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Gatorb8

I regularly "push" my 1C lipos charge rate to 1.5C also, never had a problem with lipos bought in the last 18 months
some would point out that that may reduce the number of cycles but I figure so what if it goes from 350 to 300, small price to pay to get my batteries charged and planes/cars going!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Gatorb8

I forgot to ask, did you get those from HK in China or their united states warehouse?
China, US didn't have stock
ordered on Jan 2, got them today, used EMS shipping it came to $76.53 for 6 delivered

don't forget to order the yellow connectors if you want to make your own parallel adapter for the merv
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
honda2237

Ya that's what I've been hearing that now a day lipo can handle that, haven't tried it yet. I know back in the day, it was a big no no, there used to be a lot of big no nos that you were suppose to do, and I did them anyways and never had a problem.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
MTboy

Any tips on making the merv look more truggy? Wheels/tires and body maybe? Links to builds..
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM
J0EC00L

MTBoy,

You'll have to find a body that will work. There are some out there by pro-line that may resemble a truck body. Pro-line illuzion somewhat resembles a truck. As for wheels, pro line also has a dozen different types of tires that will fit a 2.2 wheel. You're in luck since the merv is 12mm hex. Lots of different wheels and tire combos to work with.

Ask dacaur, he has a truck body on his merv.

Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Any tips on making the merv look more truggy? Wheels/tires and body maybe? Links to builds..
I thought the mini e-revo already had a truggy body? Thats why I ditched mine You can get the stock body clear and paint it, or if you want something different, pro-line makes its slipstream body for the mer http://prolineracing.com/bodies/slipstream-1-16-e-revo/ jconcepts has its illusion body....
Dont limit yourself to just bodies made for the truck.... lots of 1/18 and 1/16 bodies will fit. I use a mini LST2 raminator body on mine, I just had to drill some holes for the body posts (the MERV body posts are about 2 inches further apart front to back) and raise the body posts on the truck to make the body look right, also had to make to small slits in the front bumper, and cut out an area about .5"x1.25" in the rear.... Just take some measurements and head out and see what will fit... measure the distance between body posts and the wheelbase, as long as its close, you can make it fit, and when its running, no one will ever even notice the extra holes or slight fitment issues...

As for wheels/tires.... these are kinda truggyish? jhttp://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=12418&cat_name=# or some dish rims http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...2989&cat_name=
Old 01-15-2011, 04:03 AM
MTboy

Thanks guys, to me the Merv looks more like a mini monster truck/truggy. I just dont care for the look of the stock tires.
I really like that slipstream body, will have to put that on my list. Dish rims will work but not sure about what tires will work good and help with the look. Will have to search around and see what I can come up with. Are the wheels offset? Maybe getting some would help push them out alittle to get me closer to what I want. May cause issues tho too..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.