Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

NOOB ALERT: cornering technique?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
vectorhive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB ALERT: cornering technique?

Hello folks!

I'm new to this hobby. I've got a Losi Mini Desert Buggy and a big old backyard full of hard packed dirt. I've set up a big triangular course, about 30 feet per side and I'm surprised how easily the car spins out while cornering. I'm curious if anyone can make any suggestions about how to get around corners faster.My track surface is hard packed decomposed granite with a little bit of fine gravel topcover. A few observations:

I do better with the steering rate turned way down (about 3 on a scale of 1 to 10).

• Obviously it corners better if you let go of the throttle while cornering...

• Should I experiment with with different tires?

• What about adjusting rake / toe-in / shocks / something else about setup that I don't understand?

Any thoughts? Any links to useful websites that explain how to drive fast in the dirt?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 AM
mrbonez

Default RE: NOOB ALERT: cornering technique?

you might try some more aggressive tires like some losi smashers on the back for better traction as a start, other then that throttle control and a good slipper clutch helps
Old 01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
vectorhive

I feel like I have good traction at the start. My problem is more losing the rear end while cornering. I'll look into the slipper clutch more. Do I perhaps want more slip? A looser clutch? I'm off to google! thanks for the response.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Raguvian

A looser clutch should let it have less bite when you get on the throttle out of a turn to prevent it from trying to spin out.

And remember, go slow into the corner and fast out, if you go too fast into a corner you will just either spin or slide straight off...