Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

I want a mini.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM
cflchurch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a mini.

sc18, vendetta sc 18, or 1/16 slash? brushed of course. I will be bashing mostly on my home built track that i run a bandit on that i got my son. thanks for the help. I like the fact that sc18 ae comes with a batt even if its not the best , i like the slash but it doesn,t have 2.4 radio and the vendetta looks ok but not sure. again thanks for the help. or should i just buy another bandit xl5?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
gettnbetter

Default RE: I want a mini.

Why go brushed? Just go brushless, the difference is night and day. Brushless motors last longer and are more reliable than brushed too. Brushless is more efficient so the batteries last longer too.

The [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_109/products_id/138921/n/Traxxas-1-16-Slash-VXL-4WD-Brushless-RTR-Short-Course-Racing-Truck-w-Battery-Wall-Charger]Slash[/link] is bigger and has a better design imo, $250 bucks out the door with everything including a battery and 2.4ghz transmitter. Even the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_109/products_id/146834/n/Traxxas-1-16-Slash-EX-4WD-Brushed-RTR-Short-Course-Racing-Truck-w-Battery-Wall-Charger]brushed[/link] version comes with everything. If you are just bashing, the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_109/products_id/166283/n/Traxxas-1-16-E-Revo-VXL-4WD-Brushless-Truck-w-24Ghz-Radio-1200mAh-6-Cell-Battery]Merv[/link] handles better.

There is nothing wrong with the SC18 though, Associated makes a nice product. I can't speak for the Vendetta, never had one.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Honestly, id take the detta of the list.Even with brushed motors and a 6 cell, i stripped diffs and broke dogbones like no other.That was onroad.Just doing passes.No jumps.I do admit, it is one of favorite cars, probably most favorite.I have at least, AT LEAST, $600+ into it...Set up for crazy speed passes on a 3s and a uber high kv bl system, not one pass since, have i not had drivetrain problems.Go with the slash or a merv.How about a 1/10th slash?Not much more.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM
cflchurch

i had the slash 2wd and hated it . i would go ae sc8e kit but not right now, want something small . i do love short course though. the mini e revo might be an option but still window shopping. thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

The traxxas mini's are awesome!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:14 AM
cflchurch

titan, do you have the bl version or brushed? i'm not a speed freak but do like power, i don't want the bl version if its uncontrolable, my backyard track is small, big enough for the bandit though, it is fun.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Detta +1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59151.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1440426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59098.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1440427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65623.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1440428  
Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Mike St.Clair

BL would do you no good from what your track sounds like. You'd never be able to fully appreciate the difference, so the Detta SC would do you fine the way it is I bet. VR3's are great motors and plenty quick. My Miniquake is frickin fast with a VR3.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
rschoi_75

My vote is for the Detta SC.

Only $140 at RC Planet.com

Solid platform, good radio and motor. It performs pretty well in stock form. The only thing I would think about replacing is the esc. Its not the best, and a novak xrs would be a significant upgrade. If you can afford it, get a 1/10th sidewinder and set it to brushed mode. Then you can use the stock motor until it dies, and move up to brushless motors whenever you want. If you plan to go brushless in the future, just get steel cvd's and at least one ball diff for the rear.

The Associated SC18 is cool, but the ground clearance is lacking for real off-road fun. Its great for carpet and indoor tracks.

The Mini Slash is also nice, but I don't like how high the center of gravity is on that thing. Don't like the feel of the drive (personally).
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Its not uncontrollable, it just takes a good driver lol but seriosly the bl is so much better than the brushed, way faster, more power, longer run times, longer lasting, I had the brushed and hated it!! spend the extra money on something that will last!

I suggest the mini erevo, very good handling, durable and its traxxas!!! and you can ajust the ride hight and handling with the threaded shocks.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Kloft

Your best bet would be to get the sc18 and if you feel you need more power just put a cheap bl system in it. The reason i wouldnt put a brushless into the detta is because transmission upgrades are needed. Plus the belt drive system on the sc18 is supposed to be pretty sweet!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Kloft

And trust me weak transmissions are NO fun!! (i own a mini lst) haha
Old 06-05-2010, 12:55 AM
mrbonez

another vote for the detta they handle great right outa the box imo and would probably be best for a smaller track not cutting on the merv or the ae but the merv seems somewhat over the top to me
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Redvanmafia

if your so called favroite car has major durability issues, theres a problem. dont buy duratrax
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
mc4798

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

if your so called favroite car has major durability issues, theres a problem. dont buy duratrax
That is why he should buy the dtx . The associated truck is built like a rubber maid, belt drive was a good idea though. Too bad its flawed and they cant keep motors from overheating. Plus it is really unusable outside except for pavement or really well groomed track.

Well and the traxxas is........... you know, Traxxas
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 AM
planefreak123

agreed!!!! dont go duratrax!!! there cars suck!!! (hope nobody is affended)
ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Mike St.Clair

If they suck, there wouldn't be so many folks who own them and winning races with them. It's all a matter of opinion, just like Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc. Every single one has issues and suck according to some people. If you want to spend over $300 for a basher, go right ahead. I'd rather spend $150 or less and upgrade as I want to or if something breaks. If there's one thing I've learned, you have to be careful who you listen to. No two people drive or use their rc stuff the same way. Some jump off porches and wonder why they break. Some run into metal poles at 20 plus and complain the plastic is cheap.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
planefreak123

you are right, it is personal oninion, and in my personal opinion traxxas has overall better quality and tunibility! you forgot to say some are driving perfecty fine (duratrax owners) and they still break!
ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

If they suck, there wouldn't be so many folks who own them and winning races with them. It's all a matter of opinion, just like Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc. Every single one has issues and suck according to some people. If you want to spend over $300 for a basher, go right ahead. I'd rather spend $150 or less and upgrade as I want to or if something breaks. If there's one thing I've learned, you have to be careful who you listen to. No two people drive or use their rc stuff the same way. Some jump off porches and wonder why they break. Some run into metal poles at 20 plus and complain the plastic is cheap.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Mike St.Clair

Mine has only broken when I've clipped curbs at high speeds. With aluminum knuckles, it's fine. (miniquake). The new Detta SC is only better. Bashing is called that for a reason. Yes, Traxxas builds great stuff, but at a serious price increase over all other 1/16th's and 1/18ths, so it should be great.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:49 AM
planefreak123

they are quite a bit cheaper, but for some strange reason I dont like the make of there models! I need to upgrade my knuckles to aluminum that is the only thing I have broken, and I was bashing it hard to
ORIGINAL: Mike St.Clair

Mine has only broken when I've clipped curbs at high speeds. With aluminum knuckles, it's fine. (miniquake). The new Detta SC is only better. Bashing is called that for a reason. Yes, Traxxas builds great stuff, but at a serious price increase over all other 1/16th's and 1/18ths, so it should be great.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: planefreak123

Yeah really.... just because the vendetta is the current BRCA micro champion doesn't mean squat...

btw... I've owned my detta buggy since Jan '06 and have only ever had to replace one front knuckle and the rear hinge pin brace. My Detta St has been going since Mar '07 with only one spur and one upper arm replaced in 3 years.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 AM
planefreak123

exactally!!!:P
ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: planefreak123

Yeah really.... just because the vendetta is the current BRCA micro champion doesn't mean squat...
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 AM
mc4798

[quote]ORIGINAL: planefreak123

you are right, it is personal oninion, and in my personal opinion traxxas has overall better quality and tunibility! you forgot to say some are driving perfecty fine (duratrax owners) and they still break!
[quote]

Wow, that makes me laugh.

I have never seen a traxxas that can be tuned except for running into mailboxes at 30mph. There its tuned.

Wonder why that is..........they wont steer

Enough of this pissing match.

Dude buy what you want. Be happy and have fun with it.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
gettnbetter

[quote]ORIGINAL: mc4798

[quote]ORIGINAL: planefreak123

Wow, that makes me laugh.

I have never seen a traxxas that can be tuned except for running into mailboxes at 30mph. There its tuned.

Wonder why that is..........they wont steer

Enough of this pissing match.

Dude buy what you want. Be happy and have fun with it.
It's true, buy what you want but settling for less might not make someone happy. I personally won't be happy unless I purchase a car that has progressive rocker suspension. To me, nothing else matters.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Cika000
Banned

I have owned the Traxxas Revo and  Slash VXL's, RC18b and t, Duratrax Vendetta buggy, and a Mini T. I would personally go for the Revo VXL but if not the Vendetta SCT. The Vendetta buggy is one of the best built mini's Ive ever owned. I regret getting rid of it all the time. 

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.