RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/5543091-lets-talk-about-sportwerks-recoil.html)

Dasmopar 03-28-2007 12:22 AM

RE: Let's Talk About The SportWerks RECOIL!!!

I'm looking for like 35+mph maybe 40+

t9dragon 03-28-2007 12:27 AM

I have a friend running a Mamba 6800 and a 7cell pack in his Recoil with no problems.

4 stroken ron 03-28-2007 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Phatty

Hey 4 stroken sounds like you need some practice, stay off those sidewalls, Theyre made out of WOOD!! lol

Yeah I know[:@]
I usually hit the boards when I get pushed out while passing one of those "I wanna be a racecar too RC18Rs".:D
Ron

Phatty 03-28-2007 10:31 AM

well put some foamies on that recoil and take that inside line from em![>:]

Dasmopar 03-28-2007 10:59 AM

Well we all know 8 tires turns better than 4 so the inside line is the best.

4 stroken ron 03-28-2007 01:18 PM

The group I race with had a "spec" class for the Recoils, so we had to run the stock rubber tires. The RC18r and some others race with us because they have no class. (that didn't sound right) I think when we go outside we will run foam tires.
Ron

RoboRC 04-03-2007 04:58 PM

This thread has been dead for a few days, so lets bring it back!

I just put the XLR 8 motor in my car last night as the brushes seized up on the stocker. I have not had a chance to test it yet, but tonight is race night so wish me luck!

Has anyone tried putting a Reedy or Trinity motor in the Recoil yet?

Thanks!

Robo

sketchy_larry 04-03-2007 07:18 PM

ive been racing 18r since it came out and wow, fun times. as for putting them in the same class as the recoil, thats just crazy. if you can get enough guys together that all have 18r's, definately check it out. especialy on carpet. adds drift like moves like in real rally races. dont try dirt for them though, no matter how well packed it is. and yes, mamba motors do fit into the recoil. a little too much punch for the tracks i usually race on, so i had to take it out, but the thing took off like a rocket (its now in another car). one problem ive had with the recoil is the tires. i really like the foam, but you cant get them anymore. you can barely get the rubber.i know its been asked a few times already, but anybody know any mods you can do to get other tires to fit? ill take pretty much anything from the 14 class. the recoil is too much fun to have it sit around and wait for sporttracks to put out another batch of shoes. thanks guys and stay off those walls :)

tashspop 04-04-2007 06:55 AM

actually, the rubber tires are a bit harder to find than the foams right now. for rubber replacements, just buy some carisma 1/14th rear tires and put them on the recoils wheels.

4 stroken ron 04-04-2007 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: tashspop

actually, the rubber tires are a bit harder to find than the foams right now. for rubber replacements, just buy some carisma 1/14th rear tires and put them on the recoils wheels.
But where do you get wheels? Usually the wheel breaks before the rubber tire is wore out. As far as I know the Carisma wheel will not fit the Recoil hub. I still think Sportswerks and Horizon should be fogged for selling these things without replacement parts.[>:]
Ron

Phatty 04-04-2007 09:06 AM

charisma tires do fit, but i dont see how your breaking the wells. Try keeping that thing on the road!

tashspop 04-04-2007 12:38 PM

i haven't broke a wheel yet (knock on wood), so it hasn't been an issue so far for me.

RoboRC 04-04-2007 02:37 PM

I broke two wheels in last nights racing event! Go figure! In case anyone is wondering, all the wheels I have seen break are doing so right around the hub. The center section of the wheel breaks out completely.

I have no idea when I am going to be able to race again as I don't know where to get the wheels.

Robo

tashspop 04-04-2007 06:06 PM

that has to be so hard to deal with. i'm guessing they had a bad run in manufacturing, because not everyone is having this problem, but alot are. i bash my car not race and i have done some really bad wrecks at much higher speeds than you guys are racing at. my worst yet was a drift atempt from the street into my driveway at full speed. i hit some loose gravel and it the curb with the side of my car. my damage was a popped off ballcup and a bent cvd. still no rim damage, and these wheels are wearing down their second set of rubber.

nbk 04-04-2007 06:14 PM

I just ordered from tower-
Robinson Racing Pinion 26T and 24t
Novak Spy Micro
DuraTrax VR3 Ultra High RPM 380
Hitec HS-81MG
then when all the parts from horizon come in ill order those but for now its ok.
ill also be running jr xs3 pro
i hate when radios cost more than the car itself:)

Ramz 04-04-2007 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: kmbgolf

Are there any brushless that is a direct fit for the recoil............thks
Here is what I am using in mine with great success on 3 cells. It's not too much power to tear it apart but it's definately more power than the car can really use:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1005

It also tends to get rather hot if you push it, so i would recommend either getting a lower KV motor (E-Flite makes 2 lower kV motors) or putting a 12mm and a 20mm E-Flite heatsink on it. It fits the stock pinion and it bolts right on wtih no cutting or grinding necessary.

Phatty 04-04-2007 10:46 PM

Yeah guys sry to hear yall are having that problem, I was showing pops how to control it in a huge parking lot and he hit the curb going 38 mph! (Laser Ranged) The car impacted and went vertical at least 7 feet, Damage report. Chipped body paint. I love this car!!!!

P.S the upgraded motor is a real beauty, I suggest using the Venom 1200 Pack.

Dasmopar 04-04-2007 11:05 PM

If you guy's can try boiling the wheels before you break them. that will let the plastic flex more and maybe hold up better.

4 stroken ron 04-05-2007 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Dasmopar

If you guy's can try boiling the wheels before you break them. that will let the plastic flex more and maybe hold up better.
I don't think you can do that with the tires already premounted and glued from the factory?
Ron

4 stroken ron 04-05-2007 03:00 PM

Well Guess what. Horizon is, "FINALLY", showing the A SPEC wheels and tires "IN STOCK". Got mine ordered.:D
Ron

nbk 04-05-2007 06:55 PM

It looks like all the tires are backordered...
Almost everything is backordered!!!

4 stroken ron 04-05-2007 08:35 PM

They showed "in stock" when I ordered today. And I got my order comfirmation. Do you suppose they are out already?
Ron

Edit: I just checked the Horizon web site again and it says "add to wish list".

t9dragon 04-05-2007 08:44 PM

The Recoil must be a very popular car.......................:D

tashspop 04-05-2007 09:00 PM

yeah, i don't think they expected so much attention, although there are still more rtr's out there.

ronbonham 04-05-2007 09:58 PM

We hadn't been able to get some rubber tires for our parking lot racing, so we went ahead and got some 40's and 45's foams. We fully expected to quickly shred them but lo and behold.... they're doing great!!!! I've went through 5 packs now (I'm using the 40's) and though the front right is starting to cone (I've since turned in some camber) there's been no chunks nocked out or excessive wear - at least not what I'd expected. I would guesstimate that it still have 75% usable tread left.
On an unrelated note - I just got a mamba 5400 for this puppy. Can anyone give me any idea how to gear for this? All I have is the three pinions that came with the Recoil. Any guidance on this is appreciated.

...Ron