Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX #210 TEE DEE .09

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX #210 TEE DEE .09

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX #210 TEE DEE .09

Guys Been a while since I posted found out in 2008 I had cancer went through an operation and 1 round of Chemo and they say They think I beat it. Hmmm Ive got 8 years of hell to wait and see if it comes back. but any way Im still alive. Well what I need to know is if Ive been bamboozled I bought a tee dee .09 on ebay and its supose to be new with a bit of discoloration. But I seem to think its a couple motors put together. Should the gold anodizing on the needle and the prop hub be the same color gold. Because the needle part is light gold and the prop hub is shuny and darker gold. The reason I think its 2 different motors is 1 the prop spinner hub,screw ,venturi and piece that screws on behind the gold prop hub is all worn etched like it has been through years of nitro sitting on it.And the top of the glow plug is etched. 2 I spun the cylinder off by hand[:@] and the same with the venturi. 3 Now looking at crankcase it looks new along with the piston I will take it in the light under my fly tying magnifier and check it closer also the bottom of the plug looks new. Thats why I think its 2 different motors. Is there an easy way to tell. Please give me your opinions. The ad says new. Then they go on to say well I believe its new because its still stuck to the original wrapper,but anyone can undo a twist ty and Im sure it didnt come new with a loose cylinder. They go on to say the bit of discoloration is due to storage. But I would think the crankcase should look like the prop spinner,prop hub venturi and be etched. also the gold needle holder and gold prop backplate look new but 2 different colors.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: COX #210 TEE DEE .09

Hi,
Welcome back and congratulations.

I have found most TD's have different color anodizing, especially in the later years. Those parts were usually anodized in different batches and they are different metals. Spinning off the cylinder worries me a bit. Do you have a good close up picture to post of the etching?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done Uncle. The last units of the 049 were mix and match. I bought the last 54 of the of the packaged .09s from C*x and they were all color coordinated. Was yours in a box or plastic vac bubble?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM
unclecrash

Thanks Guys Well I tore it down and it is new no signs of wear. When Ipulled the crank the case has a bit of yellow castor gooed up. It almost looked like it was run for a minute,The crank had stains like they had dripped a bit of glo fuel in it or maybe oil but it wont come off rubbing it with my finger.The glow plug is the only thing tight. So I will need a wrench. My Tee Dee was on just a card board insert no box. I have a few more coming too. I picked up a valintine .049 drum valve now this is a sweet piece of engineering. I have a bubble pack .010 coming and a cox thimbledrone space hopper .049 new in pack.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your healing.

That's a nice set of engines you're about to own. New or not, it will probably run great.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out for you. From the sounds of your buy list, I see lots of balsa and CA in your future!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
unclecrash

Thanks guys I dont know about lots of balsa maybe a few planes. I think I will run the .09 I know Im not going to run the Valintine its too perdy. I think im going to start a little collection and run a few. The tee dee is back together looks a bit newer I took some 2000 grit to the stained aluminum and it cleaned up nice. I think when I get a few bucks back in my pocket I will get back on the little guillows zero and then then finish off the herr P51. Then find me a couple of kits on ebay. Boy I had my eyes on a few nice ones till I got scammed online. but I learned a very good lesson. And am confident that my bank will decide in my favor and put my money back where it belongs.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why no Tug Boats?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

Why no Tug Boats?
Well there is a long storie behind that. I wont get into. Dont get me wrong I think they are cool and was going to build one for retrival boat. BUT I LIKE TO GO FAST
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 AM
longdan

Hey UC
Even if it is a mish mash of parts, it should still run great.
Or -put another way - if it doesn't run great, don't blame it on parts from different engines.

Happy flying
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: longdan

Hey UC
Even if it is a mish mash of parts, it should still run great.
Or -put another way - if it doesn't run great, don't blame it on parts from different engines.

Happy flying
Your missing the picture here. If your going to sell on ebay its either new or used. New means new not part,pieces,scuffed,pitted,marred discolored, glow plug stuck,new means new.and this one I got was called NEW.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 AM
unclecrash

Well I ran it tonight man is it loud.Had to go back in and get some cotton balls for the ears.Runs pretty good then the glo plug come loose dont have a wrench so I just tightened it with pliers and a rag so I didnt tear it up. Anyone in the states have a 09 wrench they could part with.Let me know and I will pay you for it. Also what size allen screws and blind nuts do you use for the engine bolts. Man mt ears are still ringing.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: unclecrash
...Your missing the picture here. If your going to sell on ebay its either new or used. New means new not part,pieces,scuffed,pitted,marred discolored, glow plug stuck,new means new.and this one I got was called NEW.
I can relate to that. I once bought a Fox .29 from "THE" auction site that was listed as EXCELLENT (no pics). It had one missing head bolt, another stripped, backplate bolt holes had been drilled and used nuts and bolts to hold it on, and to top it off, it was one notch above worn out.
In all fairness, I think the seller did not know engines and the crankcase looked good.

George
Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
iflyg450

The 09 is a great engine. I found that the Sig Hummer is a great place to put. A 6x4 grey prop works really good
Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Jim Thomerson

I've flown TD 09 a lot in control line stunt airplanes. A favorite engine. I run Cox 7 x 3.5 props, Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic. I've used more nitro in the past, but I like this better. I use crankcase backplate pressure with a one way valve in the pressure line. I release at 14,500 -15,000 RPM. You need a piston reset tool. I probably have 09 wrenches to spare. I'll check and let you know. I drill out the mounting holes for 4-40's and like to mount on aluminum plates under the lugs.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
unclecrash

Jim I have an 049 reset tool need to find the 09 reset I hear there hard to come by. I was given an 09 wrench Thanks for the wrench,don't know if I should mention his name. Jim whats the purpose of the one way valve and where can it be bought. Dave
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Jim Thomerson

The one way valve is to prevent fuel from going back into the engine through the pressure line (uniflow tank). I have flown without it, and only occasionally had a problem. I have a well guarded small stash of the old KK one way valves. I think Jett Engineering has a similar valve available.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
unclecrash

Thanks Jim I will do a search on the valve.