Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New radio coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New radio coming

It was my birthday wednesday so I ordered me up a GWS radio for all my fm rx's, I've had it with the Futaba radio I have, 2 6 channel ones that went south on me, and the 2.4 rx's are to high$$$...now somebody tell ...since I've kinda been out of the loop just where does one get a <270mAh NiCd battery anymore?...Rog
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New radio coming

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

It was my birthday wednesday so I ordered me up a GWS radio for all my fm rx's, I've had it with the Futaba radio I have, 2 6 channel ones that went south on me, and the 2.4 rx's are to high$$$...now somebody tell ...since I've kinda been out of the loop just where does one get a <270mAh NiCd battery anymore?...Rog

These folks will make a 250mAh NMH
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/

And these have the 270 Nicd
http://www.servocity.com/html/4_8v_2...d_battery.html
Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

now somebody tell ...since I've kinda been out of the loop just where does one get a <270mAh NiCd battery anymore?...Rog
Rog

Here ya go: http://www.servocity.com/html/4_8v_2...d_battery.html

But, you might consider NiMH. You can get 400 mAh NiMH pack from CheapBatteryPacks.com for $8.00 (select custom NiMH packs and build your own) and it will weigh about .5 oz less than the 270 NiCd.

andrew

EDIT: Whoops, Larry beat me to it.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 PM
flyinrog

Thanks guys,, the cheapbattery is the way to go, I need down to 110 mAh for the .010 and .020 models, and my racer, thats what the new radio is for.........Rog
Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
alcarafa

A Tx or Rx lipo bat is way better than NI mh or Ni cad ...its 21st century!!!
Congratulations for your BD .
Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 AM
DeviousDave

If you guys find a good source for small batteries, let me know.... The last 2 or 3 small packs I have bought for RX's were DOA. Seems that little round cells sit in warehouses for a long time, I'm betting that the stock my batteries was made from is at least 10 years old now..
Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 AM
RocketRob

[link=http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/index.php?cat=19&shop=1&]Radical RC[/link]

David Devious
Although not the cheapest - I've had very good service and quality.
Typically I like to roll my own - however.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Radical has always been good stuff by my experience.
Rog, Larry is right about going to NiMh. Thats all I use for Rx batteries anymore.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

Radical has always been good stuff by my experience.
Rog, Larry is right about going to NiMh. Thats all I use for Rx batteries anymore.
Thats the plan then, the money is ok, rather have quality,only need 4 or 5 anyway,,the nicad/nimet ,either is fine,,,lipo is out,,nothing but problems for me, several swole up on me...chargers ,balancers, ...I took it all and put it in a box with my 450 heli and sold the whole mess for $100...and bought a parkzone cub instead....thanks again fella's..Rog
Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM
vicman

As far as an all purpose stupid simple charger I really like my Hobbico MKII quick charger. Does Nicad, NiMh, and LiPo.

Have fun getting it all going again. See you next weekend.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
fritzke

I never left FM because of the price of those 2.4ghz Rx's. I pick up little FM
receivers at swap meets now for $5-10, get the right crystal and I'm good to go.
If you are not afraid to solder, you can break packs like this one into 2 receiver packs
pretty easily.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBL7&P=7
Dave
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
flyinrog

That would be good, but I suck at soldering, always have, I have cobbled a few wires together and managed to get a glob of silver on there, but thats about it....Rog
Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radial RC has lots of RX packs, lets you choose the connector too if you do not like soldering.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

A Tx or Rx lipo bat is way better than NI mh or Ni cad ...its 21st century!!!
New does not equal better, have you ever heard of a story called "The Emperors new clothing"....?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Tee Bee

Another vote for Radical RC. I've had great luck with them and use mostly their NiMH packs in my 1/2A models. The 160mah packs have worked great for my TD .010 planes. Usually use their 400mah packs for .049 stuff.

Hate to hear of your Futaba failures. Though all the newer stuff I've been flying is on 2.4, I'm still operating the majority of my planes with Fut FM gear. Too expensive to retrofit.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
vicman

T, Are you planning to use 6v when you go all 2.4?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Tee Bee

Yeah, Rad RC has some pretty small 6V packs, too. I have to admit though that I've got one 2.4 1/2A model flyin' with a 4.8V pack. I just limit it to 2 or 3 flights on a charge. So far, so good.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM
vicman

Which one do you have? I realize it's a little off Rog's topic but I'm a little torn between the new 8FU and that Spectrum with telemetry.
If the Futaba corporate support were a bit more informative, honest, and freindly the choice would be easier.

I pretty much made up my mind that all onboard batteries were going to need to change to 6v just to avoid all the "lockout" threads here in RCU.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
coriolan

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm
Lot of choice,hi turn over so fresh cells. Small Rx packs are half way down the page:AP-300AAAH 300mAh (1/2AAA) - about 1.1" tall
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Tee Bee

Vicman, in my Cox-powered models I'm running Spectrum RXs bound to a DX6i transmitter. I like the versatility of the Spectrum radios and their ability to fly my Parkzone electric BNFs as well. A couple have full-range RXsand one of them is a smaller park flyer unit and it's had great performance so far even at high altitudes. I wouldn't hesitate to use more of them in 1/2A size models. I fly Futaba 2.4 as well but only in larger models.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
flyinrog

New radio going back....I specified channel 40, they showed it in their email to confirm shipment....and sent me channel 25...which is just a pretty piece of black plastic for me....they called back and said it was sent from their warehouse and it was the very last one they had and werent looking to get any more of them any time soon, so back to square one,,am sending this one back for cc credit...Rog
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
vicman

Rog,
I might have a Futaba 4ch available if you want.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:14 AM
AndyW

About the expense of 2.4 Rx's , have a look at this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4Ghz_Receiver_ I went Spektrum because it was related to JR, my favourite radio brand. Their Rx's are expensive a'right but HobbyKing seems to be able to come up with amazing stuff. Most is "Lekkie" but adaptable to slimer use.

They call it "Orange" but someone realized that you've got to be able to see the diodes flash and glow so they provide you with a clear, heat shrink that you need to install yourself. Also, be aware that HK is a bit short on supplying instructions but the guys in the comments section come to the rescue most times.

What I really like about 2.4 is the short antennas. A 36 incher is hard to deal with in a 1/2A most times. I know there are ways to make it work but hey, a 2" antenna is pretty neat.

I got me 4 of them at this price, and have flown two of them in my LowStik at extreme distances over a sod farm. Just a spec and no problems whatsoever. The quality of manufacture is impeccable. The only issue is that there's no strain relief on the antenna. Not much of a biggie, what strain? Still, I used some heat shrink on the wire and gobbed some of a product called Seallall around the solder joint/wire.

DANG, a 2 inch antenna on a 1/2A receiver. What'll they think of next? How about Micro servos, and I MEAN micro, for an insanely low price. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11737&Product_Name=HobbyKing_Ultra_Micro_Servo_1.7g_for_ 3D_Flight_(Left) UNDER 2 grams and they make a left AND a right version.

If you buy the kits, the freight can get up there but for the hardware and accessories, the freight, prices and quality just can't be beat.