Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Whizard

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ace Whizard

i see tower has them coming out soon.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNBFXP&P=G
Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ace Whizard

wonder if tower bought out ace or thunder tiger?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thunder Tiger closed Ace USA and gave Hobbico the exclusive US exclusive distributorship.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool!! My first airplane, un-successful. Mostly my fault. Like every kid I thought I could fly without instruction and gunned it. Had full size gear, full size battery, 2 ounces of fuel and because it was a little porky, a Medallion 15 on it. Pulled up, stalled, big ole prop spun it around and whack, it hit the ground.

Onto a Lanier Pinto with too small a motor. It flew, but just barely. Finally bought a Fox 40 and an Anrews Big H-Ray and have been flying ever since.

I've been looking at the plans, looking at the new cox engines or NV's. Thought about doing it in Coro, hmmmm.

Having found, flown and put up a Cox PT-19 - mine and everyone else's first successful CL plane, and worn out anohter Big H-Ray, perhaps this should be one to be built, flown and lovingly displayed?

After Spadfest and Oshkosh, I'll clear some money up. Heck, put it on the Xmas list.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Jaspur_x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great news, they have the alpha  and 2 others from the simple seeries listed , I was hoping for a f4u corsair to be on the list too.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
flyinrog

Jaspur a while back i was looking for an Ace Corsair...AJcoholic (FlyRC article writer) had one and sent it to me...my interest was sparked, but life got in the way.. I still have it, pm me an addy and I'll "pass it on" to you,,better you fly it than it sit in the box in an extra room of my house...Rog
oh there is a dent in one wing, kit is still in the box
Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Jaspur_x

That would be great flyingrog,  I showed my son this post and his eyes got all big and smiley, he is fascinsated by the g`s that a gull wing can take and not fold after seeing some old blacksheep re-runs lol

This post also goty him going on the old whizard again. Should have her skyworthy by the weekend if we ever get some decent flying weather around here; its been realy sporatic lately

Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i will order one and put my NV .074 on it.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Bladebuster

I was thinking about getting the Wizard, and putting in a TeeDee 049. Since i fly on grass i won't be using the landing gear. Has anyone flown the Wizard with an 049. One more thing. Will the nitro ruin the foam wing, if i decide not to cover or paint it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
hllywdb

I flew mine years ago with a Medallion 049 with 2 full size servos, battery, and reciever. Still flew fine. TD with micro servos and gear should do fine, won't be 3D or have lots of vertical, but be fun to fly
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Bladebuster

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if nitro will eat into the foam wing if i don't cover it.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
digital_trucker

Glow fuel + expanded polystyrene foam = gooey mess. You have to cover/paint it (and if you paint it don't use enamel, it dissolves it too). Econokote works very well, since it's a low-temp film.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Bladebuster

Thanks. I'll try the Econocote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
nekked_man_2000

run away from the econocote, unless you're doing electric...or even if you are doing electric. I bought 3 rolls of each red/white/blue...I like the old r/w/b colors on flitesteaks and such, and it's easy to see. Put it on 2 planes, the first the seams started seperating, I tried gluing them, but without luck...but even before that the red and the blue started seperating from the plastic, leaving the glue attached to the wood but not the plastic/mylar...whatever it is. So I thougt I'd be pro-active on the second plane, I made sure all seems pointed towards the back of the airplane. I did the entire wing with 2 pieces wrapped around the leading edge and the seam at the back where the aileron hinge line is, with no seam in front; then I "sealed" it real good...anyway, to make a long story short, both planes are in the attic with most of the covering torn off, but too fuel soaked to make anything stick...I now use it to make stars and bars, or stripes, and it still eventually peels off. I covered an electric powered between with it about 18 months ago, and the seems are coming loose without fuel. Really kind of a shame, the econocote went on really well, looked good...same luck with the towercote...may be the same stuff. if you look at the star on the left wing of the Wild Thing you can see clear polyurethane that I used to try and seal it, I tried to seal it everywhere else and somehow the fule got underneath. When I peeled the covering off it was soaked way beyond where I thougt it would be, even where the covering hadn't let go yet the wood is oily.

I'd use Ultracote, it's low temp. I like Monokote, but you'd probably melt the foam putting it on. My dad did and ACE Messerschmitt with Ultracote, and it's holding on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39411.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1634923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57652.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	1634924  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
subarubrat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flew the Whizard with a Testors .049 and a single channel galloping ghost that I bought as a package from America's Hobby Center back in the early to mid 80's. I would love to get ahold of another Whizard, I would probably go electric though as a neighborhood flyer. The plane I would really like to see return is the Alpha 15. It had a plywood fuselage and a beautiful wing with false rib construction, you just have to use a transparent covering on it to show it off.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Believer

I learned to fly on a Whizard (self taught). I used a golden bee, Hobby Lobby 3 channel full size (only used 2 servos, rudder and elevator), and 4 AA pencells. White fuselage (aerogloss dope) with red econocote on the wings and stab/elevator. It flew very nicely on a 6-3 prop, and pretty fast on a 6-4. It would loop from level flight. 35 years later, I'm finishing another for electric power.

Brian
Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
subarubrat

Believer, New Albany eh? I was flying my Whizard in Oxford MS. Did you ever frequent Creative Sources in Oxford?

What was wrong with us back then when it came to onboard gear? I flew all my 1/2a stuff using 4AA batts (nicad or not). There were tons of lighter battery options out. On some planes it was OK, but on others like my A4 Skyhawk .049 ducted fan it would have made the difference between extended glides on all but the best days and a flyable plane.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet ya wish ya still had the Skyhawk.......
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Believer

Subarubrat,

Dr. Fox' shop was great! I hated when he finally decided to close down (landlord jacked up the rent). Also, he was a great guy. Had some great stories about growing up in upstate New York. He was an engineer in the army during WW2 and worked on the Lido Road in Burma. Great man.

Yeah, the modern (read light) stuff has really made modeling a lot easier. I didn't know it at the time but I could have used a 250 mah ni-cad pack and saved a bunch of weight. On the other hand, starving college students in the stagflation era of the late 70s (thanks Jimmy Carter!) couldn't afford much in the way of radio equipment. I actually bought that radio at a now defunct hobby shop in Tupelo because it was the only one I could afford. It worked very well, and I later gave it to a friend who was learning to fly as well. He was building a Q-Tee, but never finished it. I ran into him a few months ago, and he mentioned that he still had the fuselage of that old plane and he was thinking about finishing it. Things seem to come full-circle as we get older.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
subarubrat

Dr Fox has been a friend and mentor since I was about 7 years old. I am certain he was a big part of my ending up working in space flight.

Bet ya wish ya still had the Skyhawk.......
Yes, and I did something about it. I have one built with the RK049 (never flown, never will be), one with the Kamdax unit, retracts, 5ch modern gear, etc. (flown), one with fixed gear and an EDF unit (flown), and two in the box as well as another RK049. That was my dream plane back then, along with the Cox 182. The gear available today allows those designs that were cool ideas, but not very practical to come to life. The A4 with full sized gear would end up in an extended glide after the catapult launch on a warm day, more than once it landed with the RK049 still screaming away. On a good day you it flew OK but could barely climb. With modern gear and the Kamdax/norvel combo it screams off the runway, you retract the gear and pull back and it gets small real fast. The Cox 182 had such a high wing loading and a slick airframe so it would tear around like a warbird and glide like a brick, and it was a trainer! Now with a Norvel and micro gear I can taxi out, drop the flaps a few degrees, run it up with the brakes on and then release and be off the ground in a few feet at a fairly low airspeed. The flight envelope ranges from slow flyer to warbird and the landings are gentle approaches at idle with the flaps full down.