Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

History of the SMALL events...locations by the year and other information

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

History of the SMALL events...locations by the year and other information

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
guitarsbanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfenn
I know for sure that SMALL was in Maumelle in 1999 because that was my first one. 2001 was also in Maumelle, I have the T-shirt.
The last SMALL steps in Dallas was the year Randy Randolph died. The next year, none of the club CD's wanted to do it, basically they said most of the people that showed up anymore were flying electrics, and the DEAF fly in was very close to the same date. I think both were in October, but I don't recall for sure. Shortly thereafter, I moved. I'd still attend the SMALL steps fun fly if they had it. Randy ran a good fun fly-in, Several years I walked away with more in prizes than I paid for in landing fees. I have a thunder tiger .07 I "won", there were no contest, just pulled a name out of the hat sort of thing. He usually had free copies of MAN for everyone, I think he had a pretty good relationship with the editor at MAN. Free stacks of balsa from Lone-Star, I got a Gallon of fuel one year, a free set of plans for a reduced size RCM "hooker" that one of the other participants gave me, and a picture of my red white and blue "wild thing" in Model Aviation...I miss those days.

Austin
Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.....Randy Randolf passed away in April, 2005, so I suppose the last Dallas SMALL was in the fall of 2004?

I do think electrics are a wonderful part of a SMALL event, but I had also heard that with DEAF nearby on the calendar, the push to keep having SMALL in Dallas simply was not there.

I always enjoy seeing 1/2A stuff at SMALL (bringing some myself this next year for the 25th event), but modern small electrics carry on the traditions of SMALL very well.

SMALL is about all types of small models, not the type of power plant you choose to use.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
guitarsbanjo

Oh yeah, I've got no problems really with electric, I've got some, but don't have the "bug" or need to replace my smelly gassy stuff. But, I miss the days of showing up at the field with my "Ace Littlest Stick" with my little T.D. .020, and seeing the looks on peoples faces. And honestly, the little .020 would probably still garner attention at a lot of fields, but small stuff is everywhere now, and everyone has them. I can remember when a lot of the same people tried to tell me how small stuff didn't fly good, or was too unstable, or too this or too that... I always did, and still do, like my little .15 and .25 size planes best. I like planes in the 30 to 40 in. span range. They are large enough to fly in most "flying" weather that would make me leave the really small stuff at home.

Wow, I didn't realize it had been that long since Randy passed, but I guess it makes sense, I've lived where I live now for 4 years...as I get older it seems like time is passing faster.

Austin
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Tom I thought the 1st SMALL in Little Rock was in 1989 @ Pumpkin Patch ?? Hence 25th year in 2014!! If not UT OH !! Dale