Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

VA mk I help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 AM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VA mk I help

So I finally acquired a VA from a forum member! I've wanted one of these gems forever! anyway, as the story goes theres not Venturi insert (not an issue) and no needle valve assembly. I ordered a NVA from Larry (kitting it together) which I use on norvels with success and its too large. I could maybe drill out the hole but even then it would require shims to center it.

Does anyone know where to get one, or have one in their parts bin? Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 AM
mikegordon10

Default RE: VA mk I help

I can't help you in getting the original part but I have drilled out and used shims for NV assemblies from Larry many times and it's not really much of a problem. Good luck in your search, your gonna need it.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
forsakenrider

I definetly dont NEED the origional, just knowing I can drill it out and shim it is perfect, thanks!!

you wouldnt happen to know what size the hole I need to drill is would you?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
mikegordon10

Guess I'd just mic the assembly. Or use a drill guide and see what hole it fits in. I'd tell ya but the problem is I have more than one type and their all different. When you shim it to put the spray bar hole in the middle of the venturi, don't beat yourself up. It doesn't have to be "perfect" just as close as you can come up with.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an additional suggestion-Fourmost Products produce 'precision washers'-you get a bag of assorted sizes-these are a very close fit on their nominal size-only a couple of thou' clearance above the nominal ID diameter. These have a relatively small OD-and are ideal for shimming spraybars to centralise the jet hole. The Larry Driskill fine thread NVAs will be imperial size, so the Fourmost washers will fit nicely. Most good model shops should stock the Fourmost Precision washers. [you alse get a range of sizes-some of which are ideal for soldering on undercarriage axles to retain wheels].

ChrisM
ffkiwi
Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 AM
DeviousDave

One other option: Put a throttled carb on it!

These engines respond to throttling really well-I've used a G-Mark .061 carb on mine, it needed the neck turned down like others probably will but it was very worth it. AndyW has done a bunch of them.

There has been a G-Mark .061 on Feebay for the last couple of weeks it's used, and keeps getting relisted for $35. I'm half tempted to buy it for the carb. You want a crack at it?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM
forsakenrider

That does sound kinda cool DD, I was also thinking of contacting John Fotiu for a peewee penetrator (Ive wanted one for years) to put the VA into.

I checked feebay, the seller wants 23$ for shipping to canada! highway robbery! Ive had plane kits shipped for less then 6$!!

If youre interested in setting it up for me send me a PM and we could work something out
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shipping O/seas from the US is a pain. Longer than 24 inches has to go Priority instead of First. ( on the same airplane).
All my kits, except the DNU (wingspan 28, some parts 28 ) are now sent in boxes just under the 24' limit.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

That does sound kinda cool DD, I was also thinking of contacting John Fotiu for a peewee penetrator (Ive wanted one for years) to put the VA into.

I checked feebay, the seller wants 23$ for shipping to canada! highway robbery! Ive had plane kits shipped for less then 6$!!

If youre interested in setting it up for me send me a PM and we could work something out

I gave his number in the other thread-just call him during the day:

Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

If it's for a VA MK1, I may have what you need. Let me know.