Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

SMALL 2012 dates are set: May 31-June 3

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

SMALL 2012 dates are set: May 31-June 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SMALL 2012 dates are set: May 31-June 3

Already looking forward to SMALL 2012!

My good flying buddy Richard Ng posted details over on the "other" R/C website and I am copying and pasting his in-depth event post:

SMALL 2012 will take place May 31-June 3, 2012 (Thursday-Sunday) at the FARM Club Field, on the east side of Wrightsville, Arkansas.

Wrightsville is south of Little Rock. This will be the 22nd SMALL.

SMALL is for RC, Control Line, and Free Flight models of all types powered by all types of fuel engines .25 cu in or smaller (CL fuel engines may be larger), similar "size" electric motors, rubber, and even hand launch. Model Rockets of solid fuel and air/water types were flown again last year. Innovative and different from the ordinary models are welcome. The field is very large, flat, and open and can easily accommodate all of these types of flying. There will be a session of indoor electric flying on Friday June 1st.

Here are links to past SMALLs:

SMALL 2011: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372947

SMALL 2010: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144911

SMALL 2009 thread with many pictures: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996481 . The event received magazine coverage in the October 2009 Flying Models and November 2009 Model Aviation.

A map to the field is at this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...ed=0CAgQ8gEwAA

You can use the "Get Directions" button to get driving directions from your location.

GPS Users: Google Maps GPS Coordinates given are :+34° 35' 55.71", -92° 12' 39.83"
To use them with my Garmin Nuvi GPS, I had to enter them as :
N 34° 35' 55.7"
W092° 12' 39.8"

Street Address for the FARM Club Field gate that works with my Garmin Nuvi GPS:

6855 Hwy 386
Little Rock, AR 72206

On my Garmin GPS, when you put "Hwy 386" into your GPS for the street, you leave off the "Hwy" prefix and just put in "386". I know it says Little Rock, but my GPS says it doesn't have a "Wrightsville" when I do a search for it and "Little Rock" works. There are differences in map databases and your GPS may give a slightly different location, but I know this works for Garmin Nuvi. Google maps puts this location at 6517 Hwy 386.

Bobby Moran ( [email protected] ) is event CD

SMALL 2012 is being hosted by the FARM Club or Fraternal Association of Radio Control Modelers Club. You will find their website here: http://farmtls.com/

More info to come. I will put updates in this or the next three posts.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SMALL 2012 dates are set: May 31-June 3

Woohoo! Can't wait! I'm going to fill out the vacation request calendar RIGHT NOW. Missed it last year but plan to show up this time with another arsenal of little slimy noisemakers.

If you are a regular on this forum and have never been to SMALL, I guarantee you would have a great time. The location, the models, and the people there are great. It's worth traveling long distances to attend, and many of us do just that. Most of the Cox flying videos I recently posted were taken at past SMALL events.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

Woohoo! Can't wait! I'm going to fill out the vacation request calendar RIGHT NOW. Missed it last year but plan to show up this time with another arsenal of little slimy noisemakers.

If you are a regular on this forum and have never been to SMALL, I guarantee you would have a great time. The location, the models, and the people there are great. It's worth traveling long distances to attend, and many of us do just that. Most of the Cox flying videos I recently posted were taken at past SMALL events.
Ditto or +1
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
DeviousDave

Oh damn,.... I might be able to make this... I figured I wouldn't be able to go because the first weekend of the month is my sister's wedding on the 6th...... in Idaho.

Crap. How can I make this work...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Crap. How can I make this work"

Head south. Fly. Head northwest. Celebrate.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Crap. How can I make this work"

Simple.... Tell her to change the day to the weekend after.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Oh damn,.... I might be able to make this... I figured I wouldn't be able to go because the first weekend of the month is my sister's wedding on the 6th...... in Idaho.

The 6th is all the way out to Wed. after SMALL!

Sunday is always a weak day for interesting aircraft at SMALL. Come early, Tuesday or Wed, ...leave early on Sunday and you have 72 hours to get there. Heck, get a round trip plane ticket from some city you drive through on the way home from SMALL if you have to be in Idaho before June 6.....who wants to drive to Idaho, anyway?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Thomas B

I hope lots of folks are still planning on coming to SMALL 2012....don't let the high gas prices scare you off....carpool! More fun to travel with a model buddy, anyway!

Richard Ng and I have been talking with Paul Willenborg about have a (very) unoffical sub-theme gathering at SMALL this year....vintage foam ARFs and kits!...

I am bringing the following vintage foam models (ARFs and kits) that are 25-30 years old, converted to electric power:

Cox Sportavia
Cox Cessna 182
MRC Ryan ST-A (the 24.4" foam model for either geared rubber power or .020 R/C)
Kraft Super Chipmunk ( the late 1970s electric brushed foam ARF.)
Bentom Edelwisse (Semi scale motorglider, looks a little like an open cockpit RF-4)

I also have an nice old Sure Flite 1/2A J-3 Cub that might be ready in time, as well, plus perhaps a Bentom Schweitzer 1-30 motor glider.

Richard Ng may bring the Kraft Cessna Cardinal that is the companion kit to the Kraft Chipmunk, as well as:
A Cox Piper Warrior
An MRC Cessna 182 (companion kit to the Ryan above)

Paul Willenborg will have:

MRC DH Puss Moth (also a companion kit to the Ryan and Cessna mentioned)
And another Kraft Cessna Cardinal.

All of the Cox and the Kraft models (and I believe the MRC ARFs as well) mentioned above were actually produced by Kyosho, who set a very high early standard for foam ARFs.

Anyone else want to participate? We wanted to have some mass fly bys of the Cox and the MRC models, if possible.

All types of power welcome, of course!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

Sunday is always a weak day for interesting aircraft at SMALL. Come early, Tuesday or Wed, ...leave early on Sunday and you have 72 hours to get there. Heck, get a round trip plane ticket from some city you drive through on the way home from SMALL if you have to be in Idaho before June 6.....who wants to drive to Idaho, anyway?
I'm still workin' it... Vacation time planning and I might be getting erm... Married this year and buying a house.

Would I be able to ship models ahead I wonder?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 AM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

I hope to see all of you their ! I have 4 new foamies already to fly. All are new ones not vintage !! a couple of Warbirds of course & a new Gee Bee !! can't wait !! Dale
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
nitroairplane

One day I WILL get to SMALL!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM
hfenn

I'm still workin' it... Vacation time planning and I might be getting erm... Married this year and buying a house.

Would I be able to ship models ahead I wonder?
If you can get her to honeymoon in Little Rock you have a keeper! I know when I first met my wife I knew I'd met Ms. Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always
Yes, you can ship models ahead. I know others have done it before. I don't want to volunteer anyone, so hopefully he will see your query. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Thomas B

Looks like the sanction for SMALL 2012 was a little delayed. Bobby Moran, the CD this year, made a post over on RCG and confirmed that the event is on schedule and will happen in early June, per the first post.

SMALL still does not show up in the online event listing over on the AMA web site, but I predict it will show up shortly.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Thomas B

Let's get a roll call going...who all is coming to SMALL 2012???

I have the following names for sure:

Steve Staples
Paul Willenborg (easy for Steven and Pail...they live there!
ME
Richard Ng
Park Fleming
Keith Sparks
Dave Graben
Daleflysrc (heck, he lives there, too!)
Tee Bee
Hfenn

Looks like Randy Rogers, a SMALL guy from the Pumpkin Patch era in the early 1990s might be back this year, as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
LittleRock

Pat T. will be there. It's also time to start building another plane or three that won't be finished for several years. Bobby Moran is preping a nice UC circle for this year.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: LittleRock

Pat T. will be there. It's also time to start building another plane or three that won't be finished for several years. Bobby Moran is preping a nice UC circle for this year.
I was guessing that Pat would be there, but did not yet know for sure.

Come on, guys..there have to be more of you coming. Let's hear from you.

DeviousDave, did you work it out, yet? You know you wanna come again....
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM
hfenn

I know that rrgeo Smith and KevinW will be there as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Shipp your planes to me in advance & I will store them for ya !! I will even pick u up at the newly renamed Bill & Hillary Clinton Airport !! Hows that for southern hospitallity!! Dale
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: LittleRock

I was guessing that Pat would be there, but did not yet know for sure.

Come on, guys..there have to be more of you coming. Let's hear from you.

DeviousDave, did you work it out, yet? You know you wanna come again....

As bad as I want to go, I just can't. The vacation time I was approved for isn't going to be long enough with the time she was approved for to spend much time introducing her to my family.
Rats. This would have been a good year too-I picked up two of the Kamdax 1/2A ducted fan MIG-15's, perfect for the foamy ARF mass fly-by.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

Shipp your planes to me in advance & I will store them for ya !! I will even pick u up at the newly renamed Bill & Hillary Clinton Airport !! Hows that for southern hospitallity!! Dale
I'll take ya up on that next year! Pretty sure I am flying down from now on.... and getting recommendations for hotels before hand, ours was 'rough' towards the weekend, felt like I was back here in Detroit. Someone had their door get kicked in while we were there and got robbed at gunpoint.... I normally carry but didn't last year for the headache of having to travel thru the People's Republic of Illinois, won't make that mistake again.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM
DeviousDave

Anyone have email for Paul Willenborg?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Thomas B

Anyone have email for Paul Willenborg?
I am about to PM you Paul's email address.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Thomas B

Just heard from Larry Arens, a SMALL regular that is always fun to have around....he will be there, again!

I have a small herd of new electric models, but glow wise, looks like I will have the venerable .020 Wedge, at least. I might dig out another old .049 model and bring it along, too......

If it does not sell at a swap meet fly in next weekend, I will be bringing a vintage foam Sure Flite 1/2A Cub kit to sell....asking 20 bucks.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: nitroairplane

One day I WILL get to SMALL!
It was sooo worth going my first time... I thought it was going to be a one time trip, didn't take long once I got there to see how much I had missed over the years reading about SMALL in Flying Models instead of being there. I can't guarantee I'll make it every year but damn.. I want to go so bad this June!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thomas B

If I could only go to one event a year, it would be SMALL in Little Rock, without a doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.