Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Charging 1/2A Ni-Cad and Nimh flight packs

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Charging 1/2A Ni-Cad and Nimh flight packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
glowtime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging 1/2A Ni-Cad and Nimh flight packs

I charge my 4.8 270mAh( Ni-Cad) battery with my Futaba and Hitec wall charger. My question is can i charge 4.8 volt( Nimh) 220mAh charge rate 1 Amp with the same charger!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
PeterC

Default RE: Charging 1/2A Ni-Cad and Nimh flight packs

Your wall charger puts out 50 mah. It would therefore take 10 hours to fully charge a discharged standard 500 mah flight pack. Because of inefficiencies in charging systems and built in saftey limits the factory recommends a maximum of 16 hours for a standard pack from a fully discharged state (not dead). Your packs are approximately 1/2 the capacity of a standard pack so I would probably charge them for 1/2 or somewhat less time with the wall charger. Note that this applies to a discharged pack (1.25V per cell). Most of us charge the packs way too often and way too much and this is what shortens there life. (also running them down to zero does them no good). My recommendation is to get yourself a peak detecting charger which is adjustable for different size battery packs and quit worrying about it.
Peter
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
glowtime

Thanks . Good advice. I was wondering if you could charge a Nimh battery with an older Ni-Cad charger. I should of explained that part of the question more clearly.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just made the switch to 200mAh LiFe batteries because I can charge them on my field charger at the recommended rate, and I just don't get the warm fuzzies from small NiMH batteries without a regulated charger at C/10 or less. Time will tell whether I did the right thing or not.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all my NiMH and NiCd packs, I use a Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite charger I got at Tower. It allows you to charge, discharge, and cycle packs to peak cutoff. Once I learned to use it, it was the bee's knees for maintaining packs in all my glow planes. It will tell you how much capacity the pack has before it peaks. Has identified several packs over the years that would have likely crashed my plane if I had flown with them. It allows you to go flying with a shorter lead prep time since most packs can be charged in an hour or two. The computer charger really made my hobby experience much better. For LiPos, it's old tech and not as useful as other LiPo-specific chargers on the market.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have decent chargers in my arsenal, but I was always troubled by the inability to charge at C/10 rates for form charging or just routine overnight charging. I think I am somewhat jaded by some less than stellar life-cycle experiences with NimH packs in the past.

BTW - on the subject of "putting out" 50mA - are these small wall chargers actually current-regulated, or is the charge rate on the label simply stating the typical current when connected to a 500-700 mAh 4 cell NiCd pack? There is a significant difference between the two.