Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New Cox fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cox fuel

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDBNH&P=7I wonder if this stuff is true to the original recipe ?I also wonder what their motivation was to introduce this since they are in the electric business. Is 1/2a making a comeback?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Cox fuel

I forgot, who owns cox nowadays anyway?...Rog
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
EX Model Engines

This is basically the Hobbico 1/2A Fuel (now discontinued I believe) in the Cox bottle with label since they own the Cox brand.

Best Regards, Matt
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does it matter? You can mix your own for just a little more for a GALLON!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Didn't Hobbico buy fuel maker O'Donnell, giving them fuel making capability?

[link=http://www.coxmodels.com/fuel/index.html]Cox Models 1/2-A Fuel Product[/link]

Above website referred to by Tower Hobbies, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDBNH&P=0]Cox 1/2-A Fuel[/link] doesn't state what the oil is, except that content is 18%. I think my next buy will be the usual aircraft mix with sufficient nitro and add Klotz BeNol Racing Castor Oil to it.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

I think my next buy will be the usual aircraft mix with sufficient nitro and add Klotz BeNol Racing Castor Oil to it.
This has been my approach, except with car fuel. I buy Morgan's Sidewinder Pro in 20%N/10%O and in 30%N/10%O, then mix the two along with BeNol to get the blend I want. With the initial low oil content, you can add castor and not dilute the nitro/methanol content too much. Although Tower's site states that the oil content in Sidewinder Pro is 10% castor, it is actually a 50/50 blend of synthetic and castor oil.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
SnApRoLl-

Hopefully someone that has used it will chime in and give us the scoop. Until then, I'm going to stick with my SIG Champion and Glow Plug Boy fuels.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

I would second the use of GloPlugBoy Fuel, a full (18% castor) 24% nitro fuel. The Cox engines will love the blend, and will reward you with many hours of use.

Stay clear of synth oil blends in the Cox engines, IMO.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

Actually Remby, I was able to locate the recommendations from Cox International Canada. Bernie there recommends at least an oil content of 20%, with which half is Castor oil for sport model use. The use of synthetic helps to cut down on the varnish build up. Yes, you are safe to use a higher content Castor oil, but there appears to be merit in using a synthetic mix with the Castor. I've attached the file I downloaded from Cox International for FYI.

Not saying your fuel is inadequate. I'm sure that the all Castor oil used in it is good. I can't say whether a decrease by 2% over the recommended is that significant.

I'd say a greater problem with model airplane use is setting the mixture too lean. That cuts down on the amount of available oil to keep the engine cool and adequately lubricated. It is a good way to quickly shorten the life of any 2 stroke engine, IMO. [:-]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo39143.pdf (196.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
GallopingGhostler

Sig 25% Champion fuel meets Cox International's recommendations.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Remby

I would second the use of GloPlugBoy Fuel, a full (18% castor) 24% nitro fuel.
The gentleman behind GloPlugBoy fuel passed away a few months back. Bernie, of COX International, spoke with his widow and she indicated that it was essentially a one man operation, that she was not involved in the business at all and that it would not be continued. There may be some old stock being sold off, but no fuel will be blended at this time.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
SnApRoLl-

ORIGINAL: Andrew

The gentleman behind GloPlugBoy fuel passed away a few months back. Bernie, of COX International, spoke with his widow and she indicated that it was essentially a one man operation, that she was not involved in the business at all and that it would not be continued. There may be some old stock being sold off, but no fuel will be blended at this time.

I didn't know he passed away. That's very sad to hear. I have been using Glow Plug Boy 1/2a fuels for almost the last 2 years now and have always had excellent results. The full synthetic blend for my old Testors .049's and the castor / synthetic blend for my Cox and O.K. Cub engines.