Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cardboard Delta Pics

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cardboard Delta Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Mike_Mc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cardboard Delta Pics

Take 2 hours, 1 sheet of cardboard, 1 roll duct tape, a few tie straps, and misc RC parts, mix togeather, fly. Sorry I don't have finished pictures but the only things missing were the taped on rudder, radio, and battery. I flew it a few times but the problem was the tape coming off in my hot garage. Overall I'm pretty happy with this little experiment.

[link=http://www.fxprojects.com/cardboardflyer/]The rest of the pictures[/link]

BTW, nobody has a smaller workbench than me.

enjoy,
Mike
Old 09-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Kyle Entzel

Default RE: Cardboard Delta Pics

how much does it weigh?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Mike_Mc

My high eccurate technical answer is... really light. Seriously I don't know but the cardboard is just your standard stuff not anything heavy duty. 2 micro servos, The Cox engine, standard 6 channel reciever, and a 200-something mah battery. Crazy light would be an understatement.

If I used something like the sticky tape used to do stripes... the good stuff... a plane like this might come out quite nice. I don't think that type tape would come off in a hot garage.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,

Oh that looks so cool! What a neat idea. I've got a supply of 2 Mil Coroplast that is looking for a project.

Could you provide some dimensions? I wouldn't need more that length, width, and location of the prop slot - and CG.

Appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 PM
jboy381-RCU

how small is your work bench???mine is 24 by 48 in.and it sits in my lap on the couch...it's a ceiling tile on a peice of plywood...

john
Old 09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Mike_Mc

Raymond:
24" span and about 32" to 34" length. engine is about 2/3 back. To tell you the truth I didn't put any serious calculations into this project and that was the biggest size I could make it with the box I had. You have about 15 inches to move the battery and radio for and back to CG it. I tested the CG by tossing it on my lawn until it seemed right. Don't forget to added a vertical fin. Radio/servos/batter were double side taped as well as tie-strapped.

jboy:
You got me on the poor location of the work bench but mine is only 24 x 40 and a quarter of that is tools. It is quite nice and sturdy though.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:45 PM
MR Flyer57

Where did the CG come out?
MR Flyer57
Old 09-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Mike_Mc

CG? Sorry I didn't record or even ballance it. Just tossed it onto my lawn and moved the batter/reciever until it seemed right. Don't you just love my building and flying technique. The 200-something mah batter and reciever were about 8 inches from the nose. I don't know if it's normal for a delta but slight up elevator trim was required.

I thought it was kinda silly but now that a couple people seem interested I might try to build one again. If I do I'll make sure I record all the important stuff and post it here.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Any flying wing, deltas included, require some reflex in the airfoil camber. Even if the main part is symetrical (ie: flat like this one) you still need some reflex for it to be stable. The slight up elevator trim fills that function.

You can see the same up elevator on things like Zagis as well.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:30 PM
MikelAnderson

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the exhaust from the engine ruin the cardboard in short time?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Mike_Mc

You're not missing anything. That's right. Cardboard started getting fuel in it, duct tape started coming off, started getting banged up from my amazing cartwheel landings, etc. It was never intended to be anything execpt a disposable experimental project. Flew about 6 times only. Fuel soaked or not it would have lasted longer but the real problem was the tape coming off. Better tape next time.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily. Right after applying the tape, apply some kind of paint or varnish all over the wing, once or twice. This should prevent this tape from coming off !
Old 09-27-2003, 10:01 PM
goldguy

Mike: Great idea, thanks for sharing. Try book binding tape on your next one, get it at stationary stores. The amount of fun is directly related to how much money you DON'T spend!..............Frank
Old 10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
mjse

Hi
How does it fly?

Old 10-24-2003, 12:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Strykass wrote

.....apply some kind of paint or varnish all over the wing...
Yep, a coat or two of Flecto Varathane is very fuel proof. I've had great luck using both the solvent based one and the water based stuff in the silver lablel. Put it on right over the tape edges and it'll probably last for a few weeks at least.

Minwax Polycrylic, on the other hand, is NOT fuel proof at all. It turns into a sticky mess that is only good for catching bugs...
Old 10-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Mike_Mc

mjse:

Flew OK. One of the neat things was, if you pulled full back in a turn the speed would bleed off imidiately and it would "skid" through the turn. Looked neat at least. I need to make another but my list of project planes is longer then I'll ever get to.