Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox vs. Norvel

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Cox throttle is not that much different than the OS LA .10 throttle, which has no airbleed. It works fine. Mr. Cox, your English is pretty good, and even the spelling is.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Bernie...well said!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
The Cox throttle is not that much different than the OS LA .10 throttle, which has no airbleed. It works fine. Mr. Cox, your English is pretty good, and even the spelling is.
On the contrary, they are very different. The most important difference lies in where fuel jet is positioned, On the OS engines (as on most other engines with carburetors) the fuel jet i positioned inside the rotating barrel such that the two sides of the barrel makes a "throttle valve" and a "choke valve", respectively. The fuel delivery at the low ends is thus adjusted by adjusting the level of air that is allowed to bypass the choke valve (i.e. the upper part of the barrel orifice).

I don't know about the OS .10LA but the OS .10FSR doesn't have any air-bleed either. This doesn't mean that there is no compensation at the low end though, as there are several other ways to do it. On the OS .10FSR there is a larger bore above the barrel compared to below it, such that the "throttle valve" closes before the "choke valve" and the low end is kept lean. On other engines there is a slot or a hole (plain bearing MP Jet for instance) made in the upper part of the barrel, thereby making a similar type of compensation. On Norvel engines the slot is instead in the part that the barrel will close against. An air-bleed hole (fixed or adjustable) serves just the same purpose, it lets air bypass the "choke valve" and keeps the low end lean.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think much of this discussion has gotten mired in semantics and/or interpretation. I've no problem with calling the COX throttle a throttle --- in short, it allows me to control engine speed; how that is managed is of no concern. The carbs (throttles) on many of the small displacement engines are nothing more than chokes designed to restrict air intake. This is especially true if the carb has no mixture adjustment screw or air bleed. By restricting airflow, it also reduces fuel flow due to lower air velocity in the venturi. It's similar in the COX throttle --- lower air flow reduces the venturi effect and ultimately the amount of suction at the fuel outlet.

NORVEL's approach was novel in how the throttle barrel is retained. Because it screws into the carb body rather than being retained by a screw, it allows the mixture to be leaned on the idle end as the barrel and attached needle move inward as it rotates.

Red Baron Mike

Yes, I do remember full house; I remember reed radios; heterodyne and super heterodyne receivers; tuning wands and paraffin; tube type transmitters and B cells; and rubber band escapements. What I can't remember is what I had for breakfast.

Last edited by Andrew; 09-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by Andrew
NORVEL's approach was novel in how the throttle barrel is retained. Because it screws into the carb body rather than being retained by a screw, it allows the mixture to be leaned on the idle end as the barrel and attached needle move inward as it rotates.
Yes, that is true, there will be a reduction of the fuel due to the clever construction with threads to move the barrel in and out. The effect is not large enough though, they have also added a slot to the carb body to reduce the choking effect of the upper orifice in the barrel. On the Norvel .074 this is easily seen with the intake screen removed;

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2033256  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:38 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to go Bernie ! Started with Cox a long time ago. Found many a cut with good-old "M-Mist", got real dizzy and flew to high many atime prayin it would run out of fuel. Love those engines!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 PM
aspeed

Bernie, there is an Ace throttle that was available for $2-3 a long time ago. http://www.coxengineforum.com/t5486-...nturi-throttle . It would work with a muffler I assume. It would be simple to reproduce. It is about half way down the page. There was also a muffler made by Cox? that was a throttle ring that worked fairly well. It had a silicone sleeve over the outside that would burn off after a while. Quite a while I think. Either one of these would give a muffler and throttle. I could take a pic. of mine if you want.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know about the ACE throttle. Retail pricing would be in the $20+ range with a production run of 1,000. As for the RC Bee / Dragonfly muffler / throttle, retail price would be in the $30+ range with a production run of 1,000; meaning it may not be a commercially viable project.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
DaveyMo

Folks:

With apologies for slight thread drift here, I've a question. Does anyone know if NV Engines is still in business? I posted to the Norvel site here and got no response. For what it's worth, I like both Cox and Norvel for different reasons. Am very glad that Cox International makes parts available - would like to see the same for Norvel.

Dave Mo...
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Cox International

http://www.nvengines.com/
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM
DaveyMo

Bernie (or anyone else who can help):

Thanks for the Norvel link. I've tried registering and ordering but (oddly) I get no acknowledgement through their web site. Even my e-mails aren't answered. Could you kindly provide a phone number?

Thanks very much!

Dave Mo...
Baraboo, WI
Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Cox International

Dave,

Back in 2010, Alex, the fellow who operates the site, gave me his phone # as 562-728-4230. I just phoned there and some fellow (with strong Russian accent) said that Alex was not in and it would be best to email Alex. The email we have on file for Alex is [email protected]

Please also note that we are not affiliated with Norvel; not that we do not wish them all the best of course

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Old 09-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Mr Cox

I haven't bought anything from the Norvel site for quite some time (about a year or more), so I don't know how they are doing now.

I believe Alex has the ebay username "honestguy" and he will sell engines through there as well; http://www.ebay.com/sch/honestguy09/...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM
DaveyMo

Bernie and Mr. Cox: Much obliged for the responses from each of you. There must be some kind of activity yet, so I'll give them a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

Dave Mo...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Pond Skipper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/norvel/27160...=nc#ht_25wt_99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NORVEL-0...nc#ht_25wt_999

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norvel-big-m...nc#ht_25wt_999

http://www.ebay.com/itm/074-R-C-Airp...nc#ht_22wt_999
Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 PM
aspeed

The last ad says it is a Queen Bee, If the picture is correct, it is a Norvel. Much better than the Queen Bee.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like both Cox and Norvel engines but each is best suited to their own type of aircraft. Smaller lighter airframes get the Surestart and larger airframes the Norvel. That said, I usually prefer my Cox powered planes because parts are readily available, so no worries about mishaps. The Norvels engines are great but if the ground rises up to smite my plane then it's a problem finding the parts if I need to fix the engine.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I feel the same way. If you build light enough, Cox engines can deliver outstanding performance for less money than Norvel.

The Killer Bee is by far the hottest .049 Cox ever built.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 AM
DaveyMo

Bernie and Others:

I contacted NV Engines through Alex's e-mail address, and he is being very responsive and helpful. Thank-you again for your assistance!

Dave Mo...