Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Simple Mustang - Scratch build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Simple Mustang - Scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Mustang - Scratch build

Hi all,

I've been thinking about building smaller airplanes now that I don't own an SUV. I've had my eye on the Simple Series airplanes and since I've never actually owned a model of a mustang in any version I thought that would be a good place to start. A member sent me a pdf of the mustang's plans and I used that as a starting point. I decide to recreate the airplane in 3D CAD first to make sure that all my parts are going to fit. I'm about 90% finished with the CAD, which is good enough to start building. Here's a few pictures of the project thus far:

3D CAD of Mustang for .061 Norvel Engine

Showing the Internal Structure

Besides the parts that are shown on the plans I made a shelf for the fuel tank, and a mounting plate for the servos. The servo mounting plate doubles as an alignment jig to ensure that F4 and the fuselage halves are properly aligned. I also made sure that the right and left fuselage doublers also had 2-degrees of down and right thrust. The most significant change to the original design is the wing, I used a Selig airfoil rather than the original airfoil. I thought this would be a good project to test a purpose designed airfoil, an airfoil designed for model aircraft operating at very low Re numbers. The other obvious change is the addition of wing sheeting. I hope this doesn't make the wing too heavy, but it was necessary given that foam I have on hand to cut the wing cores (EPS foam insulation I bought at my local home improvement store).
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the duplicate thread. I'm not sure how it happened.