Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

pee wee .020

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:45 AM
GodAaronForeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pee wee .020

Anyone know the right way to unstuck a pee wee?
Old 06-21-2023, 01:03 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Assuming it is stuck from castor oil solidification/sludge, I suggest putting a a wood prop on it and heat it in the oven to about 300 to 350 degrees F. Then with gloved hands, remove it from the oven and try to turn the prop, but don't force it so much as to bend or break anything. Heat usually softens congealed/dried castor oil pretty well.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:51 PM
GodAaronForeman

Thank you
Old 06-21-2023, 02:08 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That motor looks to be in GREAT shape. An oven at 250 to 300 deg's might be a little excessive. I would try a covering heat gun first. Fresh fuel, and or acetone will usually dissolve old oil residue.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:54 AM
GodAaronForeman

Yes Greg it was N.I.P. I also have heard of people cooking engines in a crock pot full of antifreeze
Old 06-22-2023, 02:41 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Crock pots are for dirty grungy engines.Don't put that engine in a crock pot. Cox, as well as all the engine manufacturers, use some sort of light oil to protect the parts. That engine could be 40 t0 50 years old, so it's very likely it has factory oil that has congealed. A little heat, and glow fuel should loosen it up. Most of the Cox reed valve engines had brass reeds, but some had teflon reeds. I don't know if teflon reeds were ever used in Pee Wee's. More importantly there is a small rubber O ring between the tank, and the back plate. That O ring has probably turned to stone, but should seal up OK until the engine is disassembled. High heat, or antifreeze could damage the O ring, and the reed valve, if it's teflon? Good luck. I've got two Pee Wee's that I need to put on something. A friend of mine put a Pee Wee on an EPO foam Chinese glider. It has a 17" wing span (43 cm.) Hobby king, and Banggood sell them for $8.00 to $10.00 They come in several styles, and colors, and are speckled with various color beads. Lots of folks have made them electric, but glow would be neater!
Old 06-22-2023, 03:52 PM
GodAaronForeman

Alright Greg . I wont use the crock pot.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great find, a mint RC Pee Wee version is rare.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:13 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

If you don't have one, it's worth the effort to find one of the .020 sized Cox wrenches so that you don't chew up the head and cylinder. For warming up the motor I like the little HF pencil torches. It lets you focus the heat on the cylinder and crank snout where most of the stickiness happens.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:45 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since is was NIP, it's likely not too tightly stuck. I would also be careful with heat, although it will probably need some. Hit the exhaust ports and front bearing area with a good penetrating oil, then, if you have a monokote gun, use that. The plastic covering guns don't get as hot as a paint stripper, but will soften most oil residue. If you're using a prop for leverage, be light handed -- the .020 rods and crank are small and can be bent or broken.

I second the suggestion of getting a couple of .020 wrenches. They're available from ExModelEngines.com in the US or CoxEngines.CA in Canada.

Don't stick anything in the exhaust ports other than perhaps a popsicle stick or bamboo skewer. Your engine looks to also have a throttle sleeve -- NIP engines in that condition are quite a rare find.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:33 PM
Falco250

Immerse in boiling water and simmer until you can free the piston. Castor is soluble in water. I have freed carburetor throttles this way.