Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

VIRUS WARNING!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIRUS WARNING!

I have no idea how/why but I received several emails today with the title "gyrator3.mpeg.scr" that have a virus attached!! Fortunately, uncle Norton shot 'em down for me and I didn't get the virus.

Since the filename is the same as the movie I uploaded months ago onto the design contest link at Bipe Flyer's site, I assume it's some pervert out there in cyberspace that somehow pinched the filename and doesn't like me. That's OK, I just hope none of you guys gets it!

I assure you, I have nothing to do with it whatsoever. I wouldn't even know how to get my hands on a virus, much less send it to someone!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 PM
jboy381-RCU

Default RE: VIRUS WARNING!

are you sure dickey???i've noticed that you and the norvelites,are like the hatfield's&mcCoy's...getting rid of some norvelites is part of your master plan for total cox domination...

that was the PM i got yesturday...

just joking around,
john
Old 10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just received the same email and of course my system blocked it. Based on the email account I received it on and the body of the message it looks like it is specifically targeted at us smallsters.

Here is the message that accompanied with the attachment I received.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Dear Andy,

My .010 always ran reliably on Cox red Can fuel. I found that the prop
intended for .020s worked well on the.010 and gave me an added ability to
match the engine to whatever airplane I was trying to fly. Try it yourself.

George
Old 10-10-2003, 08:18 PM
jboy381-RCU

i just deleted all my e-mails...this is scary...i got the worm like a month ago...i don't want to go though that agian...

no joke this time...

john
Old 10-11-2003, 07:17 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yup, no joke with this stuff. It's too scary for words.

Andrew, I over-reacted and instantly deleted the emails so I have no idea what the contents were.

Are you most often referred to as "Andy" or do you think the original message was sent to Andy Woitowicz? Geez, I hope whoever's doing this isn't a pi$$ed off Norvelite! All of my ramblings about Norvels are absolutely done tongue-in-cheek....surely everybody knows that?? I'd hate to think somebody's so bent over that stuff to try to ruin someone's equipment. This is SUPPOSED to be a fun forum.

Please, everybody STAY AWAY FROM THE ATTACHMENT "gyrator3.mpg.scr" and I guess if they were capable of sending that, they will send others with similar filenames. Please be cautious and GET A VIRUS PROGRAM!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:45 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will Nortons anti virus catch this? Thats all I have on my computer..

I did not yet get anything suspisious...

AJC
Old 10-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Bipe Flyer

I am most often referred to as Andrew. The message didn't even get to my virus scanner as my system blocks ".scr" files from being accessd via email.

The header of the email is forged. It looks lie a joe job to me as apposed to a random attack.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:55 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, I was assuming that this was a virus being passed on by someone's infected machine without their knowledge. But if it's a malicious attack as it appears to be then please use your virus checker to quarantine the message and it's attachment. PM me and I'll pass the occurances onto Marc and the other big wigs for some serious attention.

They'll probably want you to do something that passes it onto them in a safe manner for further study.

If this IS an attack of any sort with intent you can bet your bippy that the user will be banned for life under any IP.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

yup. I got it too. My Norton didn't catch it, I saw it late last night and luckily came here before I checked my email again.

For what it's worth, I am also on the 049Collectors yahoo list and about a week and a half ago there were two emails sent out to the list that had viruses. Both sent from suspicious "microsoft" address and both contained different strains of the same virus.

My Norton got those so I was safe, but still, they were sent specifically to Cox lovers...

..now this, wonder who/ or what it is...

I'm just glad that everyone is ok here....

timothy
Old 10-11-2003, 08:03 PM
jboy381-RCU

guys you have to know,I WAS JOKEING IN POST 2...please don't take offence to what i said...

what do you think this virus will do to a puter???if it's like the worm,it will screw up everything...

john
Old 10-22-2003, 07:51 AM
DICKEYBIRD

UPDATE: I'm still getting emails with the "gyrator3.mpg.scr" virus attached but today a new wrinkle appeared. Now it's "gyrator3.mpeg.pif" and it slipped through Norton. It comes from various well-known "S.M.A.L.L.sters" which disturbs me. Please keep your eyes open and DON'T OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS WITH THAT NAME!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:57 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

DICKEY.....I'm a NORVELITE as you know.....I hope it's not one of us!!! I'll whoop a yellow dog 'norvelite' who tries some sneaky mess like that!!!!! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????? :-0

I hate to say this, but I have not gotten this e-mail yet. I wonder if it's just using the e-mail list of the people who opened it? Let's hope so.

Anyway, Long live Cox and Norvel. Now go fly something.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
bsindel

Dickeybird,

Be sure to contact the people you are getting the virus from as they may have a Trojan or Worm running on their systems and not know it.........

Bill Sindel

P.S. using the reply function would not be nice.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:47 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its a thing to do with the smallnet? I was not a subscriber, I did not get the virus yet....

AJC
Old 10-23-2003, 07:16 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: bsindel
Be sure to contact the people you are getting the virus from as they may have a Trojan or Worm running on their systems and not know it.
I tried doing that every time but I always get a message back from the server like this: ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----From: "Mail Delivery Subsystem" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 7:04 AM
Old 10-23-2003, 10:43 AM
bsindel

That sounds like the headers are forged. Can those same folks be contacted via their regular email address? Oh well, it sure looks like someone out there is being a real pill. Thus far I have not seen one of these emails, so I guess that the attack is coming from some other direction than RCU.

If you know someone who is a real computer guru, get them to look at the forged header on the email. They may be able to identify the server or Internet provider where the messages are originating. If you can ID the IP you might be able to find out who the PITA is.

Bill Sindel

Edit:
Oh yeah, contact your internet service provider, they may be able to help identify this BOZO.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Bipe Flyer

This has just reared its ugly head again. I received "Gyrator3.mpeg.pif". The return address is forged to look like a SMALLnet posting with the title "Sub 08 10-23-01" and the message body is a portion of the first paragraph of the SMALLnet post 395RR08.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all likelihood, the source of the email is unaware they're sending infected email. The double extension is very characteristic of many of the email virii -- typically, the virus will harvest both TO: and FROM: addresses out of the infected machine's address book and may insert into the subject and body portions of messages with a .DOC or .TXT found in the My Documents folder or other system folders of the originating computer.

While some of these virii do have malicious payloads, the majority are resenders -- unfortunately, we have to treat each as potentially harmful. I regularly receive notification that one of my emails has been picked up by a scanning server and returned to me as infected. Actually, the email was sent by another computer using my harvested address as the email source.

The originating computer is often hard to track because the virus uses its own SMTP engine and is capable of falsifying the headers before transmission. The best weapon is a good anti-virus routine that has up-to-date data files.

Over 60% of our incoming traffic is rejected by our packet shaper as either infected or as a port scan -- while the internet gives us this forum, it also brings a lot of aggrevation.[:@]
Old 01-24-2005, 10:00 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Thanks Andrew & Andrew....I'd TOTALLY forgotten this thread and would have tried to open any email with "Gyrator" in the title! (Poor little 'gyro never hurt anyone!)
Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Bipe Flyer

The odd thing is that the email, payload and recipients are all modelling related and nobody's virus scanner has identified it as a specific virus.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:09 PM
XJet
Banned

Remember the golden rule -- *NEVER* open any unsolicited attachments, even if they appear to be valid files from people you know.

If you get an inexpected attachment by email from a friend, don't open it until you've emailed them to confirm that they actually did send it and that it's safe to open.

Following this simple rule can reduce the chances of getting infected to virtually zero percent.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Email can be rid of bad stuff, I have used Benign for some time. Check out the site link below, its free to try and it works.

http://www.firetrust.com/products/benign/

This should help stop the threat from email trouble for all ..

. Also, all virus scan software is not the same. Do some checking on what you use to see how effective others say it works..
Remby