Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lady Bug for wife?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lady Bug for wife?

My wife wants to get a "cute" plane that she can learn to fly on. She likes the Clancy Av. Lady Bug but is it a good choice for a slow gentle plane? Would a Yard Bee be a better choice? (I'm informed that it isn't as cute). Are there better options?

I want a plane that uses a glow engine (since I have several other larger glow planes and don't want to have to buy all the electric stuff). I also would like to use an engine that has throttle control so she can get used to that and move up to her .40 trainer. I know that AP .061 has throttle control but is it any good? Also, I have heard that the engine doesn't last long. I do like its price but I'm afraid that I'll get what I pay for.

Any help is appreciated. I've never done this little stuff before and think it could be fun. I just don't want to waste my money and I want my wife to have fun too.

Thanks,

Herb
Old 10-11-2003, 01:00 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Lady Bug for wife?

You're going to want to stick with a full sized Lazy Bee if you stay with the Clancy option.

The Lady bug would be SO overpowered with the 061 even at idle that it would not even be funny. Such a combo would most assuredley NOT a trainer bee.....er.... be.

The Lazy Bee with the 061 would be a lovely trainer from all I've heard. It only gets set up with more power by advanced guys that don't know the meaning of low powered fun.

PS: I don't know that much about the AP engine but I did see a few guys at a 1/2A flyin this summer with the Norvel 061's and I was most impressed with their throttle ability. The Norvel is only a few dollars more and has a more proven track record.

Oh, and the Yard Bee is not going to make a decent trainer with any sort of 049 or over glow engine either. Something to consider with both the Lady Bug and the Yard Bee is that they were designed to accept some of the lowest power output electric motors you can find. The structure is just not made to take the vibration levels of even a simple 061 or so. By the time you beef them up the weight is going to go up. And finally a last nail in the coffin. The Lady Bug and Yard Bee were designed to use the current parkflyer micro gear. It would be bad enough with the engine in there but if you factor in the weight of even mid sized gear these models would be SO fast and flitty that she wouldn't last a minute even with help. Not to mention that the small size tends to go beyond visual range so fast. Even faster with an 061 to help it. Throttle or no.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll second everything BMatthews just said. An .061 is way too much for a Lady Bug. The Yard Bee, despite Clancy recommending up to a .10, wouldn't be a good trainer with an .061... unless your wife wants to learn 3d flying. Why not try a Norvel .074 on a Stagger Bee? Low wing loading, easy running engine, plenty of power without being overpowered and the cuteness factor is through the roof!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Red_barron419

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, an 061 on a lady bug would be freeking insane, i meen i supose if you used standard gear, it would balance out, (maybe) but i would get a cheap rc plane from your local hobby shop like a Firebird or an areo bird, get her used to the basic concept of a plane, turns, climbing diving, throttle, what to do, want not to do, then move her up to a lazy bee, i guess if you used micro servos (the little blue ones) or even GWS mini servos (they are 26 g, and cost like 12 bucks) you could get away with the 061 on the bee, cause, a 40 inch lazy bee WILL run off of a Cox 049, bees rule, but i would (personaly) go against her will, and fly the yard bee, or what would even be better, would be the Stagger bee, it would be perfect for her, though it requires full hands on attention all the time its in the air, it can go at lower speeds and also can take a beating

well hope that helps

Ej