Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Monokote hinges

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:07 PM
john 8750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote hinges

How are monokote hinges made? I remember doing them about 20 years ago but forget the way they were done.[:-]
Old 02-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Monokote hinges

I bevel the control surface and tape it into place on the opposite side from what I'm covering. I then cover the main part of the wing and bend the aileron 90 degrees and iron into the hinge gap and then continue ironing over the control surface. I do it with 1 piece of covering over both the flying surface and the control surface. I then flip it over, remove the tape and do the other side.

Even on larger models where I use a standard hinge I like to cover over it to seal the hinge gap.

Here's a picture showing what it looks like when done.

Clockwise from the top left: Sig Kougar elevator with CA hinges, .46 size Pitts ailerons with Du-Bro hinges, 1/2A Ultimate tail with covering hinges, .15 size Sopwith Pup Aileron with a Solartex hinge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47725.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	100969  
Old 02-14-2004, 11:30 PM
john 8750

Thanks again.
I just finnished the covering on the Jr Falcon. After I looked for awhile I remembered the process. A rusty job after so long but it will do.
I'm so excited, just won the bid on e-bay for a Top Flight roaring 20's 1/4a from the 60's.
Keep in touch.[8D]
Old 02-15-2004, 10:18 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI JOHN! I have seen where 2 strips of monokote are laid down with the sticky side facing each other with a 50/50 overlap, then ironed together. Make this assembly as long as you like. Now you can slice it up into 1" wide sections and use the pieces in a over, under pattern[like old cloth hinges] to hinge your work together. Then do the gapless covering technique that BIPEFLYER talked about, but you will see the lumps of the over/under hinges below the covering. That's why I don't think I've ever tried this idea. EZ hinges are so much better, I think.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:56 PM
john 8750

Yes, I usually use hinges also. But I am working with 1/20th and no way to slot it. I did something like you suggested and it worked ok. Dont need to worry about wrinkles with the way I cover, It's all wrinkles.
Thanks for the help.[8D]
Old 02-20-2004, 03:58 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have done many planes the way combatpigg mentioned and works great. i have done them on 120 size planes. just make the hinges the same color as the covering and it wont be easily seen. just when you aplly the hinges to use two. one each oppisite of each other and make them tight and even.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:10 AM
MR Flyer57

On the smaller planes, I have used monokote without any hinge material. Just doing what Bipe has laid out. The result is a very nice gap-less hinge with very little stiffness to fight the servos.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Dsegal

See the extensive discussion at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1169731