Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need Help- how much do I scale up plans?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need Help- how much do I scale up plans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help- how much do I scale up plans?

Hello All , I'm needing some advice from all you scratch builders. I'm going to build an upscaled version of Aubry Kochmans' Lil'Roughneck. The original was a .010 size plane from the December issue of American Modler mag. I wan't to build it as a four channel plane with a .049 throttled cox TD. My question is how much should I scale up the plan. I was thinking in the 150% range but thats just a guess on my part. Any input is appreciated. The link to the plan I'm using is listed below. (Sory I haven't figured out the hyperlink thing yet).

Thank you,
Rrragman

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/LilRoughneckTiled150.pdf
Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help- how much do I scale up plans?

My computer locks up everytime I download that plan, so I have yet to see what it looks like.150% sounds like a good starting place. Just see what the wingspan turns out to be. 30-36 inches or a bit more is a good span for a .049
Old 02-15-2004, 12:09 AM
rrragmanliam

Lynn, Thanks for the reply. The plan is at Dave Fritzke's R-C Plane Page (http://my.pclink.com~drfritzke/) . The plane is kind of a low wing Super chipmonk looking thing with the exception of an open cockpit . I guess I'm wondering How much weight can the .049 haul around and still be reasonably aerobatic?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Grampaw

Hi Rragman! After reading your post I looked up a set of Kochman plans I have on a Roughneck, but they turned out to be a "Lil Roughneck Too" bipe. It used the same size engine .010, which made me think at first it was the same plan I had saved. I have never seen plans or a photo of a Roughneck monoplane. Thought I might be able to give you some help. But one thing though, if there is a Kinkos in your area, they can size and print you a copy at 150% to give you what you're aiming at. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:37 AM
Grampaw

Hey! Scrolling further down I ran across "new plans posted for your enjoyment"
and found in there the Lil Roughneck monoplane. Its just like the bipe plans I have on the Roughneck Too, only without the top wing. Rragman, you might consider using an .09 if you're going to 36" span, ailerons and a throttled engine, you know, extra weight to tote around. Keep us posted.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:56 AM
fritzke

Ragman,
I would be happy to send you the file via e-mail if you are having download problems.
I have the Lil Roughneck in single page and multi page layout in either pdf or tiff.
(That's 4 versions).
The full size plan could be pasted into BipeFlyers Tile Print program
and printed at any size you want. I have had the best luck with pdf's
opening them in Acrobat Reader 5 and pasting the image into his application.
I highly recommend it to everyone, you can scan a mag plan, scale it and
print it out. NOT recommended for 2 page 1/4 scale plans unless you have stock in 3M
as you'll use a LOT of Scotch Tape putting that together!
Dave
Old 02-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Lynn S

Ragman,
I would think around 16 ounces for a .049, but they can go heavier. You can use a .061 size AP or Norvel for about the same price and have plenty of power. The closer you get to 20 ozs the worse it will fly, of course wing area has a lot to do with.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:01 PM
DICKEYBIRD

If you keep the structure light, 250 to 300 sq. in. is nice with an .049 at 16 to 20 oz.

If you know the original's wing area, divide it into your proposed new plane's area and take the square root of that.
Example: new plane 250 sq. in.\100 sq. in. = 2.5
Square root of 2.5 is 1.58
Multiply all dimensions by 1.58 and you're home free.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:23 PM
rrragmanliam

Lynn -Thanks for the responce on the weight issue. I built a couple of DB TD's so I want to use this engine.

Fritzke- Thanks for offering to help. I have the plan in PDF and I have Bipes tile printing program.Your right it's a great program, anyone who dosen't have it should get it!

Mr. DB - That's one slick little formula. Exactly what I needed, thanks.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:55 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Pick the wood carefully and you should not have any problem keeping a 36 inch span version down to 16 oz.

As a guide Ken Willard's many 049 sheeted wing models all used 1/32 sheet. For an 049 model I'd be sure to use FIRM 1/32 and add a 1/8 thick full depth vertical spar out for the fist half of each panel but other than that it'll work fine and be very light with the 1/32 sheet.

Hint, make up the sheets and fine sand the outside faces FIRST before you build. The ribs underneath will make firm sanding impossible later. It should really be ready to dope and tissue as soon as you lift it. And please don't tell me you want to use plastic film on such a fine construction method. The dope and tissue will be lighter and let the wood show through in the true Ken Willard style. Anything else would be positively HEATHEN.....
Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
rrragmanliam

Bruce, You can rest easy, as this is a vintage model I'm going with dope and tissue. I have to admit that this covering method is one I've not mastered. In fact the last plane I covered that way was a Gillows "somthing or other" over 25 years ago. I have some brushing up to do. I'm hoping for around 14 oz. finished. It'll be a while befor it's done but I'll post as I'm building.

Thanks- Darren