Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Golden Bee .049

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Golden Bee .049

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:48 PM
newbie flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Golden Bee .049

I have a old Cox Golden Bee .049 (I bleieve with the larger tank). I was just thinking, is there a way I can make some modifications so I can have a fuel tank inside the cockpit, I relize it will need to kind of a pump but how would I do this? Or is if even possible?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Cox Golden Bee .049

newbie,

I hate to say this but you can just drill a hole in the side of the tank and run a fuel line to a tank in the nose of the plane. Better yet get your hands on a plastic product engine backplate and run a tank. This would be better because of added performance and you will be saving the life of a 8cc tank!!!!!

Later,
Tim

HyperColor Anodizing
www.hypercoloranodizing.com
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newbie, look up JKAerotech, they have something called a slickmount that will add like a 2 oz tank to your motor,,of course you may want to get the plane/engine up and running before you go modifying it......Rog
Old 02-15-2004, 08:34 PM
newbie flyer

Tim, Wouldn't I need a pump or something to get it into the gas tank on the engine? Since it will be horizontal, I don't see how it will be able to get fuel that way.

Rog, I'll check into it. I'm also going to do what you said, get the plane flying before I do this. Was just getting some ideas first.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you know what's good for you you'll just leave it alone and fly it like it is with the stock tank. 3 1/2 minutes does not sound like much but when you're on the ragged edge of control it'll seem like an eternity when you're on your first few dozen training flights.

Later you can find a new engine or one of the plastic backplates like the guys suggested and run a one oz tank for about a 7 or 8 minute run.

Only very select modelers with special needs bother with remote tanks and pumps. There's just nothing for 1/2A model sized engines that you can buy to operate the engine with a remote tank. The tank goes in line with the carb and as close as feasibly possible so that it will still work with the stock suction. This is why your Golden Bee uses a tank that wraps around the carb. It's not only convienient as you don't need to bother with separate tanks but it also puts the fuel in closer proximity to the carb for more even runs.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 AM
jessiej

Bmathews speak good wisdom!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
newbie flyer

Thanks for all the tips Bruce!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
newbie flyer

Well... 2 more questions:

1) Can someone give me a link to a website that sells glow plugs for this type of engine? Also, is there some kind of part number for them? Like regular spark plugs?

2) Does Cox have a manufactor website? I can't find one if they do.

Thanks!