Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Easy Built Jodel D9-- A cutie pie!!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Easy Built Jodel D9-- A cutie pie!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 10:22 PM
dgliderguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Built Jodel D9-- A cutie pie!!!

I'm just now getting ready to cover my Easy Built Bebe Jodel project, kit can be seen at

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc14.htm

I gotta promote this little kit to you guys. It has virtually fallen together, as in all framed up in just five nights of leisurely building. The wing is super simple and very light, and the fuselage builds like the old rubber jobbies we all grew up on. The tail feathers are 1/8th sheet and the fuselage is fully sheeted in 1/16th balsa. Kit cutting is accurate and clean, and the wood is very good quality.

I have my Thunder Tiger GP07 in the nose, which oughta be just right for scale flight characteristics (no verticals with this one!). I am going to cover it all yellow with a red nose and fuselage stripe, and red checkerboard on the yellow rudder.

The only mods I've done are: hardwood main spar cap strips instead of balsa, vertical grain 1/32 inch shear web front side only on main wing panel, 1/64th inch ply sheeting on the turtledeck for better scale accuracy, and 3/16 sheeting for the fin/rudder, so I can go with a steerable tailwheel wire in the rudder base. I have HS81 servos for R/E and a CS21 for the throttle, plus a HAS3MB rx and 270mah battery under the tank. AUW should be less than 21 ounces.

It is really cute! Kinda like a Druine Turbulent with a crank-wing. I got this kit off Ebay for $25. Talk about cheap fun! I can't wait to fly it. Flight report will be right here following maiden next weekend.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:03 PM
dgliderguy

Default Bare bones Jodel D9

Here's what it looks like, ready for cover.

(Sorry for the cheapo camera!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13566_558.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	8704  
Old 06-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sweet, look forward to some finished pics and a flying report.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:36 PM
dgliderguy

Default Jodel is ready to go!

Well, it's all done and ready for the maiden flight! Here's what she looks like. AUW came out to 32 ounces, more than I had estimated but still plenty light, especially with all that wing area. Should be a real floater. I put all the radio gear as far forward as it would go, and put the battery pack under the fuel tank, and hit the CG dead-on with no lead.

I'll be doing the maiden after my trip to California next week. Gotta break in that new TT GP07 engine, which I hear nothing but good things about, and then its showtime, folks! Flight review right here in this spot soon.

50" span
32 oz, 455sq.in.' 10oz/sq ft wing loading
Thunder Tiger GP07
HS 81 servos (three)
500 mah battery pack
Futaba 4ch Attack radio

Name:	15864_558.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	8705  
Old 06-28-2002, 07:39 PM
dgliderguy

And another...

Name:	15865_558.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	8706  
Old 06-28-2002, 09:22 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Bee-yu-tee-ful!! A work of art to say the least. With the .07 she should fly very scale like; close to the the original with it's VW engine!

Make sure & post the results of the maiden flight. I'm hoping the kit v/stab is non-scale and larger than the original so she doesn't have a case of the "wobblies" at low speeds.

Thanks for the pix!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:50 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Congratulations, it is a thing of beauty. Hope it flies as well as it looks. Good luck with it.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:32 AM
dgliderguy

Default Maiden flight!

I got back from my vacation in California yesterday, and today I took the Bebe Jodel out for its maiden flight. The weather in Seattle was CAVU, 75 degrees and sunny, but with a brisk, warm 20 knot breeze out of the west. I decided to try it anyway (patience is not one of my virtues!)

I started up the Thunder Tiger GP07 engine (Omega 15% fuel, MA 8X4.5 prop), and it turned over without any complaint with the help of my Astro Flight 1/2A mini-starter. I ran it rich, at a setting that was obviously not peak RPM, but adequate for a trial flight. I set the Jodel down on the runway and fed in full throttle, and with a little rudder correction, the Jodel ballooned up into the breeze like a blimp. I kept climbing until I had it at a comfortable altitude, and adjusted the trims. It turned out the CG was at the aft-most position, and pitch stability was marginal to say the least. Even so, the Jodel was obedient and compliant. It felt like a park flier. I hovered for the longest time in the stiff breeze, climbing slowly and maintaining my heading. After awhile, I tried turns, which were uneventful, until the engine quit, and I had to land deadstick. Again, an uneventful and sedate task, with a rollout that could be measured in inches.

On the fourth flight, the gusts were too strong, and with the aft CG, I snap-rolled the Jodel into the hard sod. Only minor damage to the left wingtip and an abrupt poke on the nose was the result, which attests to the strength of the airframe. I was impressed with the minimal damage that resulted. I repaired it this evening in less than an hour.

I now have added one ounce of lead in the nose, and I have fixed the damaged wingtip, so I am ready for another round of flight tests. From what I have seen so far, I believe the Jodel is so light and floaty that thermalling is possible. The rudder response is more than satisfactory, the wing loading is low, the power provided by the TT GP07 is more than adequate, and the strength of the airframe has proven to be better than expected.

I anticipate many long and enjoyable flights with the Jodel. The one ounce tank seems to provide plenty of run time, and when the break-in is complete, the GP07 will prove to be the perfect powerplant for scale flying with this airframe. (The comment by Dickeybird about VW performance was dead accurate!).

Another keeper for my hangar!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:16 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Glad to hear that the first flight of your Jodel went so well. A good-looking plane should always fly well.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:51 PM
dgliderguy

Guys,

Time for a follow-up report on the Easy Built Bebe Jodel D-9.

I have now replaced the TT GP07 engine with my Enya .09R/C, as the TT07 didn't have enough pull power for the 32oz Jodel. It flew alright, but there was too little surplus thrust for my liking. (I wanted something a bit sportier than a park flyer.) I may swap out the Enya with my OS.10, as the Enya is a perfect fit for another plane in my hangar.

I have also added substantial area to the stab/elevator. The TVC (tail volume coefficient) calculated out to a pretty low value of about .28, with an area ratio (Ah/As) of only 10%, so I added 1 inch strips to the leading edge and sides. Now I'm up closer to a TVC of .40. The Jodel felt 'tail heavy' on the first trial flights, even though the CG was at a correct 30%MAC, and from my past experience this is often an indication of a wimpy horizontal. This should do the trick.

The landing gear tore out on a hard bounce, so I added fore-aft grain hard balsa between the landing gear sub-spar and the leading edge. Now the retaining plate cannot break free, and the wire will flex long before there is any internal failure. That's the plan, anyway!

The vertical fin/rudder area is just fine, though it looks tiny. There is a good balance between the rudder/dihedral couple, with no tendency to dutch roll, or 'fall off' to one side in a banked turn. The airplane snap rolls in a sneeze with the generous control throws I am using, and recovery is instantaneous. Very satisfying.

Lastly, the Jodel looks very scale on the wing, for such a small model! You can slow it wa-a-a-y down, and putt along overhead at a snail's pace. Man, it looks real! Touch and goes are a soft kiss on the tarmac, and ground handling is solid, with no tendency to ground loop. All in all a worthwhile project!
Old 08-20-2002, 03:37 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default TVC and CG

Hi dgg,

Wow, TVC of .28....pretty hairy! I really like that method of comparing stab areas/tail moments amongst various models. Kinda gives you some amount of confidence on knowing how a new design will fly.

I recently came across Al Lidberg's site with his further usage of the TVC to arrive at a starting point for locating the CG on freeflight models. Plugging your TVC number into his formula, I come up with the CG located at 26.08%. Take a look at http://www.aalmps.com/tv.htm I figure that if it works on a freeflight scale model, it should work well for R/C.

I love this stuff!

Milton