Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever "cooked" a Norvel?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Has anyone ever "cooked" a Norvel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:55 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever "cooked" a Norvel?

While the debate over castor versus synthetic continues in another thread, I was wondering whether anyone had actually worn out, seized or otherwise damaged a Norvel 061 or 074?

It would be good to get some idea as to exactly how robust these engines are and how well they tollerate such things as lean runs etc.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:48 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Has anyone ever "cooked" a Norvel?

I've run Revlite and AAN Norvels on stock Omega, Cool Power and Sidewinder fuels. The latter two have all synthetic lube at something like 18%. I can't say that any of my Norvels have been sensitive to fuel unlike Cox engines that require as much castor as you can afford. Still, I normally add enough castor to all my 1/2A fuel to take the percentage up to 22% or so. Doesn't rob power and can only help.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI XJET! Yes, I have several junk piston/liners from the AAN AMEs, and so does everyone else around here who has used them for combat the past 10 years or so. The REVLITE situation is much better, so far I haven't failed any. I add 7-8ozs of caster to every fresh gallon that I buy. I don't know what the caster/synthetic controversy is all about, it can be settled pretty quickly with a frying pan, and a temp probe. Synthetic is for those who fly in a perfect world, slightly rich, and caster is for those who fly in the real world, slightly lean. Synthetic isn't a necessity until you get above 40% nitro, because caster begins to coagulate.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 PM
AndyW

Would you have any junk liners from AAN Big Mig engines?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:15 PM
combatpigg

HI ANDY! I just went through my 1/2A wrecking yard and found an old AME liner. It has a couple of gouges that go 1/2 way up. You're welcome to it, but the new matched replacements are only about $15 or so. I have brought a couple first generation AMEs back from the dead with the REVLITE replacements.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
AndyW

Thanks combat but I need the Big Mig cylinders for the 5 ports. These allow for better throttling. The idea was to rejuvenate a piston that was simply worn out by anodizing. Thanks anyways.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I nuked a .74.
This was my Ducted fan engine that was modified to run high rpms on a pipe. I reckon by way of pipe calcs it was doing over 36000rpms. I started to have overheating problems and had the engine stop about 4/5 times from overheating- not a prolonged grind, mind you, just a very quick (things happen much quicker when the little thing is putting out a bit more power) overheat and die. i.e in about 3 sec. After that it now has no pinch at tdc. When i have a plane to put it in I`ll get a new piston liner set!

J.M
Old 02-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Japanman

I don't know what the caster/synthetic controversy is all about, it can be settled pretty quickly with a frying pan, and a temp probe. Synthetic is for those who fly in a perfect world, slightly rich, and caster is for those who fly in the real world, slightly lean.
Can I stick my name on this as well?

J.M
Old 02-20-2004, 09:05 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Japanman

I don't know what the caster/synthetic controversy is all about, it can be settled pretty quickly with a frying pan, and a temp probe. Synthetic is for those who fly in a perfect world, slightly rich, and caster is for those who fly in the real world, slightly lean.
Can I stick my name on this as well?

J.M

HELP! Im stuck in the real world and can't get out![sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
combatpigg

I saw a magazine ad from the 1960s that DUKE FOX took out about the superiority of his fuels, and that's where the frying pan quip came from[I don't think he had a temp probe, maybe a thermometer] They still sell a blend for plain bearing, iron piston, steel liner engines that has about 28-30% caster, and caster ONLY. Even when I add 8ozs of caster to 128ozs of COOL POWER, the total oil % is less than DUKEs' MIX. Ever since I was shown why those quart size bottles of SIG caster were sitting there on the LHS shelf, I have stopped having catastrophic failures in everything [except of course COX TDs].
Old 02-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Japanman

As far as i know, there is still no oil that protects at the temps castor can go to- and if there is, i doubt it cost as little as castor. I still think it is a bit of a joke that scientists are beavering away for years trying to make something better than what can be squashed out of a bean for next to nothing!

J.M