Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tim Wiltse motor gets a plane!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tim Wiltse motor gets a plane!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:25 AM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tim Wiltse motor gets a plane!!

Hi guys,
I received a motor from Tim Wiltse , it was slated to go into my contest airplane, but the contest plane will have a cowl and that just wouldn't do for this beauty!

So I changed my mind and decided to build a Bill Evans design, one of his Simitar Series called the Wiseguy.

I have a soft spot for this plane, because it was the first of the series that I built. It was flown crashed and rebuilt a time or two, and then traded to another member of the club. He has crashed it one more time that fixed it and so it will need another fuse.

I went down yesterday and got the wood and the covering, then went to print and copy and reduced the plans for the .40 size plane to 65% of it's original size.
This gives me a 36 inch wing span and a little over 250 square inches of wing.

I started it today, and will post the results as they get done.

Here are some pictures.
The first is the full .40 size Wiseguy that I will try to copy.
The next is the engine that I got from Tim and the covering that I got to match it.
The third is the plane parts cut out, and the last is the fuse and the gear that is going to go into it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89972.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	103263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69489.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	103264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57368.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	103265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30319.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	103266  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:06 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Tim Wiltse motor gets a plane!!

HI MR 57! That's a great choice for a project! Remember to punch a hole in the rudder, preferably with a #2 pencil for the streamer! Let me tell you that [advice time] those HS81s are overkill, the HS55s have proven to be tough enough to withstand plenty of abuse. You gotta have a jewelers' screwdriver to work with them though. That combo of colors on the engine is so sensational. Wiltse would have made COX alot of money if he were in charge there! Looks like the boring, parts cutting thing is done, now you can march on to the fun part[is there a fun part?] It takes a lot of discipline to cut that many parts out in advance, with out doing any gluing! I'll bet you make Bill EVANS" trip worthwhile when he sees the final product!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Wow Marshall looks like you have a good start on the plane already! I really have to get after mine here right quick!! Keep the pictures coming!!!

Later,
Tim Wiltse
Old 02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
MR Flyer57

Hey Tim,
The hard part for me is getting the wing cut. It takes a lot of set up, and once I get one cut I don't want to stop. I usually cut a few before breaking all the stuff down and putting it away.
Hope I don't get called out to work, and I can get a little more done today.

And Combatpigg, If the boys around here read this thread and saw the challenge I would get a ribbing,,, you can most likely whoop me, but I am ALWAYS game

I tell everybody that once you hunt humans you'll never go back!!

This dog will hunt

Some day I would love to fly with this crazy bunch of guys!!

I just lost my Ryan and didn't even have a streamer!! It died a warriors death.

I made the mistake of going after a combat wing. You be the judge, did I win or loose?

I say I have bigger pieces, and he says that my loss is more[:@]

Name:	Lj22647.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	103384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48756.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	103385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22157.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	103386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33184.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	103387  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:56 PM
combatpigg

MARSHALL! Wow! Was that guy in the cockpit giving a middle finger salute?[X(]I would NEVER post such VULGAR TRASH![X(] Your RYAN looks OK to me, I would have gone right back up. Wrap it with ACE bandage, and pour a couple bottles of CA on it. Remember now, if the glow head on the COX engine gets stuck, just grab the liner with pliers, or a chain wrench. Once you're done with the beauty queen version of the 1/2A scimitar, you'll have extra panels cut for combat. Do you think a sparless wing with a hard LE, and a profile fuselage would work? The colored cellophane and 3M77 works OK directly on foam, and it costs $1 to do a 1/2A plane. Radio gear is getting so small that it isn't hard to bury it all in a 1" thick wing. I'll be sure to bring a few .60 size RYANS with me when I come down to fly RYBAT with you, do you light your CUBAN CIGARS with $20s while you're doing your thing?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:40 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, that engine's a beaut. Tim has a real knack for the anodising and chosing colours. I liek to check out his site just to have a look once and a while at the engines..

Hey Tim, what you charge for an engine like that? Do you supply the engine parts or you send them to you to be done? Why dont you "advertise" a bit here.....

Those scimitars look pretty cool, should be a sweet looking and flying combo.

AJC
Old 02-21-2004, 05:35 PM
MR Flyer57

Hey Chuck,
It really isn't the finger but that is a great shot, looks like it but as you can see by the photo attached, it really is rated PG.
The guy is from the Dick Tracy movie. Bought the planed with the figure already installed and kinda liked it.
I should have called him the last act of defiance!!

I would like to use super 77 but I have heard that the formula has changed and now it is a foam eater. Do you know about this?

MR Flyer57

Name:	Yw67570.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	103463  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:43 PM
ajcoholic

I buy Spray 77 by the 6 cans, and go through a lot of it at work. If it is in the black can it most definitely IS safe for foam. I have used it for blue, pink and white styrofoam without any issues.

Lots of talk about the "changed formula" but it says foam safe on the can, and it certainly is OK im all my experiences.

AJC
Old 02-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

AJC,

I can do an engine both ways...one with my stock of parts or one with customer supplied parts or a little of both. Basic anodizing for a tank or crankcase is $6.00. I am sure as you know it takes a pretty good chunk of time to set up and run a batch through the anodizing process so I always make sure people realize the time involved. Of course the cut ribs like those on Marshall's crankcase is alittle extra as is the RR-1 style tank ribbing. Cost for a complete engine is sort of on a "what doyou want" basis. My engine that I call the "Witch Doctor" sells for $125.00 and has been keeping me busy filling orders that have been going overseas alot. But for $12.00 plus shipping it is a great way to dress up an engine and make your plane stand out at the field!

Later,
Tim
www.hypercoloranodizing.com
Old 02-21-2004, 08:23 PM
ajcoholic

Tim,
Like I said before, I have tried a lot of anodising and I know it is (to me anyhow) a real pain in the U-NO-WHAT.... those prices are more than fair.

WHat is your usual turn around time? Not including postage to and from you of course.

You seem to get some amazing colours and designs happening. You should put an ad in the Engine Collector's Journal for custom anodising. You would be amazed how many vintage engines have worn out/faded anodised parts and guys are asking all the time who can do the refurbishing. I have done a bit, but I HATE it. It is very time consuming, and I would rather turn metal myself. With your talents and exceptional work, I am sure you could be kept very busy, if yo arent allready.... (but make sure and charge enough for your work!)

AJC
Old 02-21-2004, 08:50 PM
MR Flyer57

Rough day today,
No foam in town, had to get some from a friend that lives a little why outside of town.
I ruined the first set of wings. I tried to cut the whole wing out in one piece and it was bigger than the board I use for weight. When I tried to cut the bottom of the template the ends came up and made center part of the wing very thin.
So I had to make another, this time I corralled my wife into helping me, and it came out great.
I am trying probond for the first time with this wing, and we'll just have to take a look at it in the morning.
It is 36 inches long, and what a great length! all my sheeting is that length and so are the leading and trailing edge pieces that I need to use. NO WASTE! Never had that before.
I might have to build some more of these, if they fly as well as they build.

Here are the pictures, please don't look at the shop. It is way too full and messy.

MR Flyer57

Name:	Zx72235.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	103521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36337.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	103522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20691.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	103523  
Old 02-23-2004, 05:03 AM
MR Flyer57

Got a little more done. No real problems, just that everything takes longer than it should.
Starting to look like a plane and should get the guts put into it on my next session.
MR Flyer57

Name:	Vt57875.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	104075  
Old 02-23-2004, 07:36 AM
ajcoholic

Nice! Do the simitars fly fast? They look pretty clean. How are they for aerobatics?

AJC
Old 02-23-2004, 01:06 PM
combatpigg

MARSHALL! The new 3M77 is OK to use on foam if the solids[the glue] is what touches the foam. If you let a glob of it drip on the foam, it will create a crater, but that's no big deal. If you "prime" the foam with a light mist coat, then you can go hot and heavy on the next pass. I think strapping tape and 2" wide packing tape would cover a 1/2A SCIMITAR COMBAT quickly, and cheaply, without any spars. Just make the airfoil real thick. Food for thought.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
MR Flyer57

He AJ,
They are very good fliers and will do all kinds of aerobatics, but with out the tail, I'm afraid the the purpose built planes will eat them alive. Even though they can't compete with a 3D profile, they are every bit a hot stable plane.
I love flat spins, and if you take the CG too far back and make the tail a little heavier, it will spin like a top, but just a little too far and it will never recover[:@]

They are a quick box, like a ugly stick, and the wing is easily sheeted and though I don't know what the design is, it really flys well. It is stable enough to fly inverted right off the deck and will slow down to for a sweet landing.
Also they are stout, we used one as a paint ball target, and it suffered no damage!!

Check out the first picture!!! Inverted off the deck, this ones a little high, but it will do it with ease!
The second and third are of a Simitar called a Zipity-Do-Da, we used it as the target plane. It was not reinforced and took the punishment that had completely destroyed other planes.

The last is the Man himself, Bill Evans, the designer of all Simitars. Shooting at the Zipity, and having a blast at our Simitar Fun Fly.

Hey Combatpigg, thanks for the super 77 info. I have been fretting over this for some time. I have one last can of the old stuff and have been hording it in fear of the new foam eating stuff.
I will try the new stuff and use your method.

Well back to work of the Tim Wiltse engine hauler!

MR Flyer57

Name:	Fd91272.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	104218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96744.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	104219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76280.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	104220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87571.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	104221  
Old 02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
combatpigg

HEY! your latest progress report took me by surprise, I just saw it when I came back to the computer. I didn't know you could put wood grain shelf paper over downspout tubing and make it look so real! I'll bet you could edge glue balsa sheets and form them wet around a mold, come to think of it. What I like so much about yours', besides the outline is that the parts count looks to be pretty low, and it should be pretty easy to cover. Looks like a slam dunk from where you've got it now!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:01 PM
MR Flyer57

Too funny Cp!!
I really like a second opinion. I really do use a lot of downspout, and never got the connection. Shelf paper,, Hmmmm
Na not this time
MR Flyer57
Old 02-24-2004, 01:37 PM
combatpigg

HI THERE 57! I've had a couple days to deliberate over the case of the RYAN VS FOAMY WING THING, and even though you suffered much greater monetary damage[10 fold], the FOAM MEISTER suffered much greater psychological damage[ seeing his plane reduced to nothing more than foam packing material]. Henceforth, this court awards you the winner in this matter, and this court finds the loser of this exchange guilty of littering on public land. He shall be further instructed to bring a SHOPVAC with him whereever, and whenever he goes to fly. The next case this court will hear will be the one of the 1/2A SCIMITAR that is stuck in MR BILL EVANS" windshield.........
Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 PM
MR Flyer57

Here is the latest from the Wiseguy.
I am a little worried that I followed the plans for a large plane and made this one too heavy. I have not weighed it yet but will just finish it and see what happens.
It is ready for covering, so I should be able to knock that out without much trouble. I have no imagination for covering and so deciding on what it should look like is always a tough part of the process.

Name:	Ge96650.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	108492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46648.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	108493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53700.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	108494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38780.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	108495  
Old 03-06-2004, 08:50 PM
combatpigg

MARSHALL! That's shaping up real nice! Whether you are ready or not , I'm going to give you some ideas to put that thing on a diet. The cut out you have in the front of the fuselage could be carried out 20 more times, right on back to the tail. The wing could be"cored out" by standing it up, and dropping a heated hunk of music wire through it for a pilot hole,then hot wire it, you could make 2 seperate compartments, leave a 1/2" wide shear web. It is a little bit of work, but every little bit helps. A quicker way to core the wing is to take carefull aim with a hand gun, you can shoot straight for 3 feet can't you? The balsa skin is supplying so much strength, that the under lying foam can be hogged way out, and your covering will provide torsional strength, this might be a good candidate for that SOLITE stuff. If the perimeter of the wing is strong[including the tips], and if you leave a shear web beneath the rear of the L.E. sheeting, the rest of that wing should be hollow, and you know what they say,"If you don't fold one now and then, you're probably building too heavy!"
Old 03-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Marshall,

Man that looks just great. Gotta' love that engine What are the specs on the plane? It does look plenty big!

Later,
Tim
Old 04-13-2004, 06:26 AM
MR Flyer57

Well heres the good, bad, and the ugly!!
I did finish the plane, I guess that would be the good part. And man does it fly well, another good part. The bad part is that it was too heavy to use The Tim Wiltse motor[]
I will have to build another one that is lighter, won't be much of a problem. The killer is time. I have a contest plane to get built and a bunch of Simitars for the fun fly we are having here this summer.
I was elected prez of the club, and we have had a full schedule so far this year.
I am sorry Tim, but I will get a plane built for the motor. I also didn't use the covering, because it will go on the plane along with the motor.
As far as specs, I will have to get them all together and post them in the near future, but the basic stuff is:
Motor used is a Cox medallion .09 with a throttle sleeve
The covering is Monocote
Radio is a Futaba 9 channel computer tx with a Hitec Electron 6 Rx and 4 HS 81 servos
I am a little freaked out by the Nimh batteries so I am using a four pack of Duracell dry cells for the Rx.
I am running a 7X6 APC prop and it is turning up well, but I didn't tach it yet.
It is a ROG with a steerable nose gear and a working rudder.
The wing is 36" long and I think it comes out at about 260 square inches of wing.
I need to weigh it but don't have a scale, and am a little fearful to see what it really comes out to.
It flys like a dream and the engine will Idle down for a taxi or a landing (much better than I was expecting)

So I guess it really isn't a 1/2 A any more, but after the contest I am getting another Norvel and strapping on a .74. This will take it to a new level of fun!
Here are the pixs!

Name:	Ay73974.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	121739   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44261.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	121740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80938.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	121741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93547.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	121742  
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 AM
MR Flyer57

Looking back on the build photos, I notice the cut aways in the front of the fuse, to look at the great looking engine. Well I just filled them back in, when I realized that I wasn't using the Tim Wiltse motor, but keep looking from time to time at the new posts. I will have another plane with the cut aways to show off that great looking little motor.
Now a last pic or two.
MR Flyer 57

Name:	Fd90649.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	121743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71362.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	121744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18302.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	121745  
Old 04-13-2004, 06:32 AM
ajcoholic

Thats a sweet looking scheme though. Too bad about the engine/power thing (hey been there done that! ) but there is allways a chance to try again...

Those planes certainly look nice in the air. And your flying field looks awesome!

AJC
Old 04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
combatpigg

HI MARSHALL! Excuse me for a minute while I blow the DUST and COBWEBS off your thread! That's a super looking plane! I'll bet the .09 takes it for a good ride! I just got a 074, and it is OK, but I'm not bowled over by the power, it turns a 7-3 at 17000. Maybe a 6-4 or 5-5 would wake it up. It's never too late to try my idea to make the SCIMITAR wing lighter you know, just remember to take out the wing servo before you start shooting! If you built the same plane, same proportions with a 24" span, that would be a riot! If you get time could you shoot me a scribble of the critical dimensions, you could even just outline them here. I'll bet a 7 oz job with the BW could make 1/2 oz of fuel seem like 1/2 hour of air time!

Just think, now that you are EL PRESIDENTE, you could order first year club members[interns] to cut out wing ribs, reset rods, iron out wrinkles,repair combat injuries etc., which should free up more time for you to take care of the more serious and important matters that a club president has to face, like finding time to fly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.