Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

SPORTY SHORTY UPDATE

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

SPORTY SHORTY UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 06:26 PM
cranky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPORTY SHORTY UPDATE

Still gluing, when I get a chance. I see there are those who have completed their contest birds.
What craftsmen!!! (I'm not worthy) I have not weighed this yet. (afraid to).
How are the other projects going? Any suggestions on what to try for the canopy????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78973.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	103475  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: SPORTY SHORTY UPDATE

HI AIRSLAYER! That's GOURGEOUS! I like those wing tips, they have less friction when you do those low knife edge passes through the tall grass! Keep your eyes peeled for plastic packaging, or bottles that have ready made sections that you can snip out and use for your canopy.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:43 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To form my windsheld for my contest plane, I sanded a wood block to shape and bought a piece of plastic for vacuforming from the hobby shop. I just heated it up with a heat gun, and pulled it over the form with my hands! Worked pretty darn good and I bet it would work for your canopy also.

Looking great so far, that wing spar looks like it will support a bit of stress!

If you are going to do some combat with Combatpig, you might want to insert a piece of music wire along your leading edges

AJC
Old 02-21-2004, 09:20 PM
cranky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the positive comments. I will look for some ready shaped plastic things that may work for the canopy.
(AJC) I'm going to get with our local shop and check the vac form plastic out. Seem to recall a article on making a homemade vacuum table, that used a shop vac or something. The wing spar is kind of like an "I" beam. It's pretty solid. Your right about the leading edge. It's way too girly[X(] for any full contact flyin.

My shop looks like a balsa tree exploded in it