Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

MY New VA MKII RC!! :)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

MY New VA MKII RC!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:28 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MY New VA MKII RC!! :)

Just hope for a quick lunch break, as I pulled into the driveway I saw a small box sitting in the mailbox...

My new VA RC engine is here from Larry Driskill at "Kitting it Together" !!

I just had a quick look, and it is a real beauty. Nice big muffler with a pressure tap and the carb is awesome.

I cant wait to try and run this one guys.... maybe the Norvel has met its match??

Post pics after work and more info later on....

AJC

PS isnt getting a brand new engine just the best feeling??
Old 02-27-2004, 01:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: MY New VA MKII RC!! :)

Hi AJC! Don't you need one more of those?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:29 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the Norvel has met its match??
Ease up there big boy......[>:] The cold weather may be getting to ya.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:55 PM
ajcoholic

This engine, if it runs as good or better than the VA MKI's I have run (4) will be AWESOME! It is a real little jewel, and the casting is excellent, machin work just perfect and the snappy compression...

These are true ABC - none of the norvel "weird-o" break in with the heat gun, etc. (no offense to you Norvel'rs, hey I own three of them too, but havent flown any yet..)

This engine will either get a home on my LCB (carbon delta wing model) replacing the current VA MKI, or on my newest work in progress, the RCM Scooter. Its a pusher, but there is a ;arge phenolic thrust washer behind the drive washer so I think in pusher mode this MKII VA will be fine, especially with the recommended 23 to 25% oil fuel.

Here are some pics... It may be a while before I get to run it, but I will try my best to do it SOON!

AJC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41388.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	105746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13771.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	105747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54475.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	105748  
Old 02-27-2004, 08:29 PM
ajcoholic

M
ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hi AJC! Don't you need one more of those?
Maybe I do CP... maybe I do.......

(if you are referring to my Seneca, well, I did say if the 040's arent enough oomph I will go to a single... and these would fit the bill nicely Maybe Larry would give me a deal on another two if I put some advertising on the side of the fuse?? )
Old 02-27-2004, 09:10 PM
combatpigg

How about tow a streamer with a message on it, geeez , do I have to do all your thinking for you?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 PM
ajcoholic

, do I have to do all your thinking for you?
Hey, that sounds a LOT like something my girlfriend would say...[X(]
Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
combatpigg

What do you think would happen if we "crashed" the SMALL FLY IN towing big streamers that said," COX SUCKS!!"[X(]
Old 02-27-2004, 10:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What do you think would happen if we "crashed" the SMALL FLY IN towing big streamers that said," COX SUCKS!!"[X(]
It wouldn't last for long as the COX powered models would make short work of that streamer....

Hey, AJ. I've got an old Mk 1 VA that I've never run yet. By any chance do you know if the timing of the RC engine is wildly different from the CL/FF version? I'm thinking that I may make an RC carb and muffler for my regular version if there's a decent chance of success.

If the concept is a go I'd appreciate a bore size from your RC carb and what it does for idle mixture control.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:16 PM
combatpigg

That's got me laughing, the visual image of a dozen angry Cox Intercepters amassing an attack to defend their honor is pretty funny. The question is, how many of them would just get tangled in the streamer, and towed without mercy by the RUSSIAN INTRUDERS?!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:12 AM
BMatthews

None of them..... We'd be using Cuisinart propellers.... There would just be a rain of Julian streamer bits.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:42 AM
ajcoholic

Bruce,
My VA MKI's throttle excellently. I think this RC version is the same engine (as the CL MKII) but with the trick carb and I am not sure if the muffler is the same or not...

I did modify a norvel muffler to fit one of my original VA MKI engines. It was pretty easy. Here's a photo.

Will have to get my calipers and measure the carb for you later today....

AJC

Name:	Rp44058.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	105853  
Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 AM
ajcoholic

Oh yeah, one interesting thing is that the new RC MKII VA has a thread in carb, much like I did with my Tarno into the old VA MKI case. I found the hole in the case a perfect size for threading with a 1/4-32 tap, which is the same thread as the cox TD carb body the Tarno is made for.

The original VA MKI also had a muffler (I have one original on one of my engines) but the newer MKII one I got with this new rc engine is a lot bigger, and has a pressure tap allready in it.

AJC
Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did it cost you, A.J? I looked at Larrys site the other day but could find no mention.

J.M
Old 02-28-2004, 06:25 AM
ajcoholic

All said and done (with shipping, exchange to Canadian $$) it cost me $103 Canadian. I believe it sells for $69.95 US.

Also, I remember Larry telling me the timing is set a bit differently for the RC version, with a reduced exhaust duration.

AJC
Old 02-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Larry Driskill

Japanman wrote: "How much did it cost you, A.J? I looked at Larrys site the other day but could find no mention."

Yes JM, I have been slow to update the site. But you have pushed me off TDC and I have updated. Thank You.

BMatthews wrote: "Hey, AJ. I've got an old Mk 1 VA that I've never run yet. By any chance do you know if the timing of the RC engine is wildly different from the CL/FF version? I'm thinking that I may make an RC carb and muffler for my regular version if there's a decent chance of success. "

Good Morning BMatthews: Dan Rutherford imported the MKI and sold it in a "Roll Your Own Timing" version and a fixed timing version. Both the MKI and MKII have a screw in wrist pin carrier that allows changing the piston timing a bit by adding or removing shim from between the top of the carrier and the bottom of the piston. Dan's packaging may indicate the version you have. If yours is not fixed you may want to add a shim or two and then "fix" the carrier in place with Loctite. I can send you some shims.

On the MKII CL engines I usually end up with no shims or one .002" shim. I was shimming them all, but had VA change the ports in the sleeve enough that the timing is "correct" for high RPM applications. I am shimming the RC engines engines up between .004" and .010" to slow the timing a bit (reduce the exhaust duration) and then Loctiting the carrier.

By the way, the first RC VAs I got did not have the adjustable air bleed. As he has written, Andy Woitowicz properly judged that a deficiency. Accepting his expertise I ask VA to build the adjustable carb and VA did so. However, it took so long that Andy probably began to feel he would grow old before it happened. Luckily the Arctic Winter apparently has preserving qualities and he is still spry and doing Cosmic things with throttled 1/2As.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:55 AM
BMatthews

Thanks AJ. I'll be lookin' for those measurements... [8D]

Larry, a big thanks for supplying that info. I think this project is a go. The one I got from Dan was the "roll your own"along with a very sketchy set of instructions about setting the compression to match the nitro of the fuel being used and that all encompassing "set the shims to provide the peak RPM". Your suggested shim sizes are the first ever detail I've seen. That'll help a lot.

I notice that you're suggesting shims that are intended more to set the exhaust timing rather than the compression. Do you select a lower compression head to compensate and avoid being overcompressed? For the time being I'm planning on using my COX glowheads and I have a selection of all three types to work with, hemi, cone and trumpet.

Thanks for any additional info you can offer.

PS: I'll have to check the baggie with the engine but I think I got a shim pack with the original.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Larry Driskill

Bruce,

You are correct. Raising the piston necessitates raising the head. If you raise the piston one .004" shim you will have to add a .004" gasket under the plug to keep about the same compression. On the MKIs this was sometimes a pocketful of head shims as the piston often ends up being above the plug seat in the cylinder.

You can experiment with the piston timing to see what shim height works best. Just shim the piston and tighten the carrier firmly. The carrier usually will stay in place, for a few runs. But without being Loctited (Loctite 271), it will eventually backoff and the piston will begin to do a poor rendition of a COX act, rotating a bit in the bore as it runs. The tip off will be "aluminum wear" in the exhaust and "funny" runs.

I have some of the first VA carbs (without the adjustable air bleed) that might be adaptable to the MKI. They screw in. The thread is metric. The case would have to be tapped. Maybe Andy W. can tell us what the thread size is. . .
Old 02-28-2004, 01:49 PM
BMatthews

I think he did already... 1/4-32? Same as regular glow plugs and Cox TeeDee carbs?

Larry, I'll PM you about a price for the old carb. I imagine it could be converted to an air bleed type quite easily with a bit of drilling, tapping and a 1-72 or 2-56 screw. Another option is to bell mouth the rotating barrel to ensure the outer opening closes AFTER the inner opening by a very slight amount. From there a simple V filed or ground into the opening can act as a permanent air bleed. I've moded some of the older air bleed OS and Thunder Tiger carbs that way to get better idle performance with great success. It's surprising how many air bleed carbs ignore that requirement.

I've finished my coffee now and it's time to go out to the garage and look that puppy over.... I'm all enthused now!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Larry Driskill

Wow! You two are correct! 1/4 - 32. All this time I assumed it was metric. . . without ever bothering to measure.

This as a great forum. Interesting, varied in content, and so often educational. Thank You.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Larry Driskill

Whoops. . . I measured again. The thread OD of a 1/4 - 32 plug is .244. The thread OD of the VA carb is .232. The VA carb will screw into a 1/4 - 32 nut. But is very loose. A 1/4 - 32 glow plug will not screw into the VA crankcase.

Name:	Rp43941.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	105953  
Old 02-28-2004, 03:30 PM
BMatthews

Well, I checked my engine and the crankcase has a thread on the outside to hold the ventur insert in place using a ring clamp that is the outer part of the venturi. I guess this is what AJ reffered to when he said I'd have to tap the existing hole. If so I'll tap it with the proper metric thread. It sure sounds like that size is a 6mm x 1 mm metric thread. If so then I've got a good supply of those.

Larry, I'll contact you through your site or by PM about getting one of the old carbs that I can modify. It'll be easier than trying to source a needle valve and spray bar for a custom carb.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:40 PM
ajcoholic

Yes guys, what I said was that the TARNO carb was a 1/4-32 thread, NOT the VA one....!!! I havent a clue what the VA carb uses for a thread.

When I converted my VA MKI's to throttle, using the Tarno carbs, I simply took off the stock NV, and pressed a brass plug into the NV hole. Then I tapped the existing hole in the case without drilling, with the 1/4-32 tap and the Tarno just screwed in. Its close to the prop but not touching do its OK.

Hope that cleared it up...

AJC
Old 02-28-2004, 04:49 PM
BMatthews

Yep, thanks AJ.

I've got another option too. In looking though my box of 049's I came across the Gmark 049 RC that I'd forggoten about. I may just have a go at modifiying that carb to fit the VA. The only problem is that I gather the Gmark has some collector value these days so perhaps I'll just sell it as is.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry,
A few questions about the new V.A. mk2

I know a lot of guys use this engine for high rpm applications- Is the conrod bigend bronze bushed?
Also, is there a "blank" head available, that i could cut to take a turbo plug? (will it take a std norvel plug, for example?- how is the head held on?) these are much easier for me to come by here in Japan, and i think they hold a few advantages over other plug types.

J.M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.