Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HEY DICKEYBIRD!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default HEY DICKEYBIRD!

HI DB! I figure that you are too modest to talk, and talk, and talk some more about the way your BARECAT flies, so I thought I would corner you, and ask how it's been going since the first outing. I'm assuming you've flown it some more. Have you tamed the zero gravity problem in the hover?[That's a nice problem to have, I'll bet]. What have you done to get it to K.E. LOOP? Do you have any future DEPRON projects in mind? I hear that LOCTITE has a #3030 adhesive that is pliable and sticks to this stuff. I will try GOOP also. I would like to build a shrunken MORRIS HOBBIES profile with this stuff, like a TOP CAP, SLEDGE, or SUDOKOI. Anyway, when you get a minute I [and many others I'll bet] would like a progress report about your fantastic plane!
Old 03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HEY DICKEYBIRD!

Thanks for the interest C/P. I flew it at Lynn's fly-in Sat. and crashed it pretty hard but was lucky and only got a bruised lower fuse. It was breezy and I didn't get to further my learning curve with it very much. However, I'm still amazed at the tiny little loops and the sharp square corners it'll turn. Also, you can turn impossibly tight corners at 1/4 to 1/3 power and it NEVER comes "off the wing." The wing loading is so light that it just plain amazes me. I hope to get a calm day soon and will learn what it will REALLY do!

I have another Cox powered Depron project going on right now but can't really talk about it. You'll be the 1st to know when I can!

ps: The polyurethane "Gorilla Glue" works great with Depron.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Lynn S

I like the way Dickeybird launches the Barecat, he holds it at the canopy and just gives it a slight flick of the wrist..[8D]
Old 03-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

ps: The polyurethane "Gorilla Glue" works great with Depron.
DB --

When you're using the "Gorilla Glue", how do you keep it from deforming or pushing the Depron seams apart when it foams? I've used it on household items where I can apply clamping pressure, but have been reluctant to try it on balsa. I would like to try it on butt joining wing panels, but don't know how to deal with the expansion.

the "other" Andrew
Old 03-02-2004, 07:09 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Lynn, my dream is to learn to hover the thing better and the new launch would just be a gentle release into a hover, then "punch it" up to about 15 - 20 feet, flip into an inverted flat-spin and climb slowly out! I can dream, can't I?

Andrew, I used the P/U glue to hold the wing and stab on and just applied a small amount with no water and let it cure with the natural humidity in the air. It foams far less that way.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
combatpigg

DB, I tune in to the profile forum from time to time and a lot of those guys give high marks to the REAL FLIGHT SIMULATOR[G2}. If you're like me there aren't enough hours in the day already, but on the other hand there might not be enough hours left in the rest of my life to become a HOVERMEISTER!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly a lot of profile fun flies (40 size) and they are cheap, and great for learning to hover. Not 1/2A but its probably easier to learn on a larger plane than a 1/2A...

AJC
Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 PM
combatpigg

Yes, the .40 size give you more leeway with the throttle stick, but the HALFWIT with a 5.5-2 on a 061 is a great match on a 12-13oz plane. I think DB needs less efficiency out of his prop, and someday soon I'm going to shave the airfoil out of a 5.5-2 just to see if I can get a little more "latitude" on the sweet spot for hovering both my H.W. and the little ULTIMATE. I'm convinced that besides practice, you have to be willing to play with your thrust angle, and vertical CG to take some of the work load away from your thumbs.