Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX "Rubber Ducky" 5D3P Prop

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX "Rubber Ducky" 5D3P Prop

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:40 PM
ELee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX "Rubber Ducky" 5D3P Prop

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I am a great fan of COX engines (user not a collector). For now, I fly only CL planes.

I have read a few conflicting opinions of this prop. Some said it is useless while other said it is the magic prop for 049. Will fellow member share your experience with this prop's applications. eg. RPM, plane dimension/spec. ..etc. Please give examples where it worked well and where it didn't.

Many thanks in advance.

BTW, I have been lurker on many forums for a few years and you are the most civil one that I have come across.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: COX "Rubber Ducky" 5D3P Prop

HI ELEE! Listen, all those guys who don't like 5-3 rubber props, send them this way, please. These props are great for CL COMBAT if chopped down to 4" on a VA049, or AME. They will make a TD very happy if depitched [twist the blades a little] just don't exceed 24K and use lots of caster oil. For RC they work well on an engine that is getting a little bit tired, and can't lug a 6-3 anymore. They are pretty hard to break and I've never seen one throw a blade.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Larry Driskill

ELee, I am a competition Control line flyer, Combat, who is dabbling in RC for the great fun and enjoyment of doing something for fun and trying to get more proficient.

The Rubber Ducky works far better than it looks like it should. So well that it sometimes irritates me. The irritant is that when we clip it down to 4&1/8" in diameter it is one stubby, cheap dude, but still competes with the higher dollar glass and carbon props.

It has been on the CL 1/2A Combat winner many times, including 2002 and 2003. The most popular prop at the big contests will be glass/carbon, but you do not necessarily have to have one.

And, they last forever. Nearly. We run them into the ground and into the other plane and they will finally fatigue, get cut, and depitch, but rarely break. You can also twist pitch in or out and, unless the blades have been abused (see above) the twist will stay a flight or two. I have often twisted a little out if the engine was bogging in the turns and twisted a bit in if the engine was pulling strong and I thought I could stand a bit more speed.

Great little prop, especially for the cost. Sometimes difficult to find.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:19 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elee, I run them too.....

Some of the applications I have run them on have been Cox powered pylon racers, 1/2A CL sport flyers, and on my RC sport planes with throttled TeeDees.

It really is a good little prop. I'll second Larry's notion that they are almost unbreakable too.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:09 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yes, yes! What all the others said....the 5x3 and the 6x3 black are magic props. The mold masters were made by Bill Atwood, the designer of the Tee Dee engines. Everybody knows he was a genius!