Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Magazines

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magazines

What magazines are best for those of us with 1/2A leanings. Full disclosure: I write for Flying Models and am, of course, an AMA member and get Model Aviation. But I don't subscribe to any RC only magazines and need to remedy that situation.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Magazines

Larry,

I pick up Flying Models only. Nothing else seems to carry anything 1/2a!!!

Later,
Tim Wiltse

HyperColor Anodizing
Old 03-04-2004, 12:30 PM
DICKEYBIRD

That's about it Larry! I think 1/2A is on the rise and other mags will pick up on it as time goes on. RCM and M.A.N. have 1/2A stuff from time to time but not near as much as F.M. and M.A. I like "Radio Control microFlight" for all the neat stuff by Dave Robelen and the other guys. It has a lot of "lightweight thinking" and the new super light gear has whetted my appetite for a backyard flyer of some kind for this summer.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:30 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry,
I have been a long time FM subscriber, and it seems other than a few bits and pieces in MAN or RCM every once and a while, there isnt much 1/2A (or small plane action for that matter) anywhere else.

I let my scrip. to MAN lapse this year after a long, long time. I picked up one to FLY RC, and it seems the same style mage but really slick and a more varied content. I bet since they are new, they would be open to more construction articles and perhaps they need a "small" column... if we all wrote to Tom Atwood.... You never know!

AJC
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

I picked up one to FLY RC, and it seems the same style mage but really slick and a more varied content. I bet since they are new, they would be open to more construction articles and perhaps they need a "small" column... if we all wrote to Tom Atwood.... You never know!

AJC
AJ, How do we write Mr. Atwood? Does he have an email address?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:51 PM
ajcoholic

Yup, but I am back at work and the mags are at home...

I bet he, being from the "old school" would see there is a genuine interest for a good 1/2A column. Man, with just 10% of whats talked about here in a month, you could fill a few years issues...

AJC
Old 03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the idea of us all writing in about it, but not tipping our hand about our little club here. Sometimes it doesn't take a very squeaky wheel to get a decision maker or politician to act on a little noise out there. If some random letters were to trickle in from here and there some good might come of it. Which magazine should we target? FLY RC?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
ajcoholic

Tom Atwood's email is:

[email protected]

AJC
Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

yup, I like FM and MA the best as well, I just can't get enough of FM's Small Talk and Oldtimers Topics, the day those show up in the mailbox are always happy days.

I subscribed to FlyRC when it was 9.99 thinking heck, any model mag is worth 10 bucks a year. It's an alright magazine, I thought there were some really great articles in the first two or three but it seems to be thinning out. I love the layout, it's a little more exciting than MAN on RCM.

I also get the occaional Euro-Model magazing but what I have really been loving lately is RC-Report. There is something really nice about the newsprint style of it and the writing is all really interesting. It seems to be like FM in that the readers contribute pretty much the entire issue and the people who do have colums always seem to have something worth while to say. Its not like MAN and RCM in that every article is about who to build you r ARF quicker or who won this or that contest with a dozen pictures of the same Extra 330 doing the same hover-batic trick. And if that wasn't already enough, THERE IS A DEDICATED SPAD COLUMN.

t

ps - great idea on writing to Flr RC, we should begin a barage of letters demanding 1/2a be coverd!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 PM
hotdogx

Right now I'd say FM is the best, since Model Builder is long gone (sob!). I think Dave Robelen's column is OK in MA. It looks like FlyRC is primed to be a place that would publish the small stuff. They've had a number of planes so far in the small arena, and the pull-out plans deal just begs for small plane designs. I've sent an e-mail to Thayer Syme (sp?) at FlyRC asking if he'd be interested in some of my small model designs.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:48 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is also the possibility that if more small plane articles were submitted to FM or MA, more would be included. I would guess they go somewhat by perceived interest.
I would guess that also it is hard to cover material when so much of it is hashed over on these forums.

George
Old 03-05-2004, 07:25 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: gcb
I would guess that also it is hard to cover material when so much of it is hashed over on these forums.
George

i think that's the best reason to have a 1/2A column...look what happened to the park flyer market when backyard flyer came out...i think the same thing would happen to 1/2A if it was talked about in a magazine...

john
Old 03-06-2004, 01:17 AM
jessiej

FM is my favorite as I enjoy articles on CL and FF as well as old timers. RCM and MAN are limited in scope.