Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Simple 1/2a Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Simple 1/2a Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Shoey949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple 1/2a Trainer

I'm looking to get into R/c flight this spring and I'm looking for a kit or arf to fit this criteria: flies well with cox .049 and 2 channel standard size radio. This will be my first place I do have a couple nitro cars but this will be the first aircraft. I've researched some and this is what I've come up with; JK Aerotech, Neofun Classic, and the Lanier Indicator. Please tell me everythin about these planes you know and any other plane that would fit my needs. Also please include price and where it can be purchased at. I know this is a lot but I have a small budget and want to make the right choice.

Thanks a ton in advance!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: Simple 1/2a Trainer

I don't have any experience with the planes you have listed, but I would think the Ace Whizard (or similar Ace "trainers" )would fly with 2 standard size servos with an .049. It has been around since the 70s.
I have brought up the subject of a "Forum Trainer" before but nothing became of it.

You can find them at Quantum Models, www.quantummodels.com
Old 03-06-2004, 02:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI SHOEY! I learned on a GENTLE LADY glider. They will carry full size gear, and the kit goes together easy. Any of the 6ft span gliders will be easy to learn with, but the G.L. is one I can recommend. TOWER HOBBIES sells them, and you will need a GOLDBERG power pod to mount a 049, or make your own. The one I am showing you rests on top of the wing, and you rubberband the wing and mount to the fuselage with the same rubberbands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48176.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	108402  
Old 03-06-2004, 05:31 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from experience, I can tell you ,once trimmed the JK Aerotech flys very smoothly,I guess it would fly ok with a teedee .049, I have a Norvel on mine,,I'm not sure about the Lanier, but the JK is also a very tough plane, so you worry less about hitting the ground , you cover it with colored packing tape (bonus!!) instead of iron on covering,,, the neo-funs look nice but pricey from what Ive seen,,as Lynn said the Ace planes, maybe the grasshopper at quantum might be good too....Rog
Old 03-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Shoey949

the whizard though has a smaller wingspan than the lanier and heavier too.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Lynn S

I guess I was thinking the Indicator was a pylon racer, but I see that it is a "Trainer" for .049 power. It is priced right at $35 and has laser cut parts. It should make a good trainer for you.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Farmbuyer

Gotta agree with combattpigg. I learned on a Dynaflight Pieco-O-Cake motorized glider. Mine now has Norvel .061 on it but it started with a .049 and flew well with it. I did add a micro servo for the throttle but the main purpose of the engine is to get altitude so it can run out of fuel and become a glider so running wide open is OK. The other two servos are standard size. Now that I have some experience I really enjoy flying this thing barely above stall, throttled down and doing figure eights just over my head. Learning to turn this thing without losing altitude or stalling and it is really helped my flying skills.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63776.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	108752  
Old 03-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Shoey949

This is really a tough choice between the indicator and the piece o' cake. My one concern about the poc is where to fly it because it does have a 72'' winspan or do you think it could pretty much fly in the same area as the indicator. Also do you think the poc could be covered with one 6' roll?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:30 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

well on the tower site it say it(poc) can be done with 1 roll of covering,, if its down to those 2 I think I'd go with the poc, as slow as it will be you should have no problem with the field size, if you already have your radio gear (your not using the car radio right?) it should take standard servos with all that wing area.....I flew my trainer 4 flights today and it has a control line tank ,about a half oz or less, so it runs for 3 minutes and then it just floats around for another minute or 2.....Rog
get it, give us a review, Lynn S had the right idea, I remember his thread about a 1/2A trainer, but usually people that come to RCU go straight to the Beginner forum not here. From there its "gotta have a .40 ARF" so they can sell you all the goodies to go with it..
My vote is my JKAerotech, love it...Rog
Old 03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having built and "flown" two Whizards in the early 1980's (both lived very short lives) and now having rebuilt an Ace Whizard this past fall and flown it with a TD 049 (even at half throttle) it is a FAST plane. Yes, it could be tamed and flown by a beginner with a flight instructor but IMO it is too fast a plane to be a great trainer. More of a nice middle of the road sprt plane if you ask me. WIth the TD opened up it is quite fast!

I too think a larger span "powered glider" type plane would make a better trainer.

AJC
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Steve Westphal

Have to agree with Lynn. We have been flying an Ace Whizard for several years now. The motor is a Cox .051 R/C and the radio is a Cannon micro. The plane has taken a bunch of hits and still flies.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:28 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
My vote is my JKAerotech, love it...Rog

i vote with Rog on this one...it's just about indestructable,unless you run over it with your car...
all foam and tape and can use standard servos...

john