Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Old news but a cute design

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Old news but a cute design

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 02:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Old news but a cute design

A year old thread just got ressurected in Vintage recently. Not a big deal but this pic turned up there. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it if you haven't seen it before.....

It's loosely based on the Dakota bipe but uses Ken Willard style construction for the wings. Looks like it would be a winner if someone wanted to reverse engineer it. Here's what the original poster had to say about it...

Inspired by Joe Wagner's Dakota Bipe, I built this little cutie from 1/16 sheet balsa Lee Renaud gave me when we worked at Cox in 1980. I replaced the original Trexler ballon wheels with hardwood 5 years ago. Even with all that downthrust it's a homesick angle and stunts well. Cox TD.020, Ace Pulse Commander, DE Rx., Adams Baby twin actuator.
Sadly he only posted the 4 times to advertise some old equipment and then dissapeared so there's no point in trying to get hold of him.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Old news but a cute design

Thanks for sharing that BRUCE! I see the same "FORMULA" of big horizontal, and small rudder with a plane that is all sheet. If I were to build the same plane out of 1/8 by1/8" sticks, and open frame wings is the difference in weight worth the effort? Evidently not, judging from most of the 1/8th A planes I've seen since tuning into this forum.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:51 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Old news but a cute design

I've proven to myself that a built up structure with the sizes you are describing will save about 1/3 or perhaps a bit more over an all sheet design. But then you have to cover it whereas with all sheet you can just clear finish the wood. So the final weight savings, if any, comes down to the covering and finishing between the two.