Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Matched Coxes, Finally!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Matched Coxes, Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:38 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Matched Coxes, Finally!!

As many of you know, I'm a nut. Specifically, a twin nut. And before the wise guys start jabbing, that means a twin engined airplane nut.

Many long years ago I bought a TeeDee 0.049 R/C, that was the one with the "Tarno" style carb and the straight exhaust stack out of the collector. A royal bear to get to idle, and when you did the next day (or even that afternoon) you had to mess with it again, otherwise the throttle was just a device to kill the engine in flight. Cost was somewhere around $40-$50, don't remember exactly.

It seems other people had fun with the early r/c engines also, Cox added an adjustable air bleed and a muffler of conventional appearance. Price was $89.99 at my LHS. Being assured this version would throttle nicely, I got one for my HOB FW-190. Worked fine, but I had made the FW a full four channel and it wanted more power so a Norvel 0.061 went in the plane.

When the twinsanity got to an acute stage I started trying to find another TDRC 05, but Estes had messed Cox up by that time, no more to be had new. Started looking, last September I found one NIB at a store in Louisianna. $109.99, I bought it. Did I now have a matched pair? Don't be silly.There are about 80 different cylinder barrels for the 0.049/0.051 Coxes, and of the four I had no two were the same.

Got on RCU to see if I could find a match, even our good friends ajcoholic and the "Other Andrew" had nothing to match.

Finally bit the bullet and called Louisianna again, had another ($109.99 list) sent to me.

Hooray!! I now have two alike; they both have the "Two-flute" double bypass port, and are both non-SPI, with straight bores (no taper) so I think I have the best of the variants.

I know, for the money I could have gotten a basket full of Norvels, but the Norvels look like engines, the Coxes look like Coxes.

Final note: Those few of us who have bought NIB Cox engines know there's a production date stamped on the cardboard filler in the box. Checked the matching pair, both July 25, 1994. Just for grins I checked the other late style, the one with triple cut bypasses and SPI. Its date? July 25, 1994. Looks like Cox was mixing things up before Estes got in the game.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Matched Coxes, Finally!!

Good show Bill! So what plane are they going to find a home in??

AJC
Old 03-08-2004, 09:09 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Matched Coxes, Finally!!

AJC:

Not only am I a twin nut, I'm madly in love with the Duellist design. I have a Duellist 2/40 Mk I built to the Mk II specification, I have my Duellist 2/60 Mk II, there were two other Duellist 2/40 Mk I planes I've sold. The design is finally finished on the Duellist 2/15 Mk II and the plane is almost finished.

So what would the TeeDee 05 RC engines go on? Right. Could not be anything but another Duellist sized for 1/2A engines, a Duellist 2/05. And it will be Mk II specification also.

Dave Platt's original Duellist 2/40 was a really fine airplane, and with the Mk II revision he made it even better. And it scales well.

Bill.